This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21-Mar-2016 17:06 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
apeterd

Fotoslides 1.0.8 and JAlbum 13.0.10 - Preview fails
Posted: 20-Mar-2016 16:42

Click to reply to this thread Reply
trying to remake previously working Fotoslides albums i notice that JAlbum's Preview feature is not displaying the front page correctly. if i ignore that and upload the site (to my own server), anyway and launch as a URL then my Chrome browser displays the Album as I would expect.
If I point the Chrome browser at the index.html file in the local copy and "File/Open File..." then the same mess appears as if it was JAlbum's Preview (dare I suggest JAlbum's Preview uses Chrome code).
whereas if I "File/Open File..." using my Firefox browser pointing at the local index.html file the album is displayed correctly.

this problem only occurs with the Fotoslides skin generated output (Turtle works fine)

Am I the only one seeing this?

Makes me really appreciate JAlbum's Preview feature - when it works.
jGromit

Re: Fotoslides 1.0.8 and JAlbum 13.0.10 - Preview fails
Posted: 20-Mar-2016 16:50   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

A quote from the FotoSlides UserGuide:

Chrome: Chrome by-default restricts loading xml files using javascript locally (FotoSlides keeps image list in XML). To use Chrome for local preview, create a desktop shortcut with the location as, "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --allow-file-access-from-files

(location of chrome.exe may differ. Search for this file to find the exact path)

The jAlbum preview, in the current version, is using JavaFX WebView (from Oracle), which is based on WebKit. In prior jAlbum versions, it was using jxBrowser, which was based on Chromium.
apeterd

Posted: 20-Mar-2016 23:29   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

mr gromit, thank you.

very helpful and silly me for not finding the workaround myself.
apeterd

Posted: 20-Mar-2016 23:34   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

ah, i don't speak windows (any more) any thoughts on a mac os equivalent "shortcut" - a symbolic link perhaps?
jGromit

Posted: 20-Mar-2016 23:51   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

I'll have to leave that to an OSX person. I use OSX on my laptop, but I don't really know my way around it. In short, however, you'd need to create an alias that does this:
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --allow-file-access-from-files
Then you would have to open the local album with that modified executable. My brief Googling foray seems to indicate that this is so cumbersome, it's probably not worth the effort. And of course it wouldn't help the jAlbum browser, in any event.

I think I'd just shut off the jAlbum integrated browser, then do the previewing in Firefox.

Edit: I've asked David to take a look at this, and see if the integrated JavaFX browser can be tweaked to get around this problem. I have no idea if it's possible.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Mar-2016 23:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BTW, does Safari also choke on this?
apeterd

Posted: 21-Mar-2016 00:09   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

thanks again for the snappy response.

yes, i have effectively done as you suggest when fotoslides is the skin-de-jour - forgoing the InBrowser and using Firefox.

its picky little things like this that moved me away from FotoSlides and towards Turtle as my preferred skin

no - Safari does not exhibit the problem. i can point the Safari File/Open File... at the FotoSlides generated index.html and the page(s) are displayed correctly. So Chrome is the outlier - pity as its my default browser.

The built in Preview is/was such a handy enhancement to JAlbum - loved it. Is there any way we can prevail on someone to make it work for FotoSlides - or heaven forbid, get FotoSlides changed to the more secure model. Someone (other than me) should ask Dhina!

davidekholm

Posted: 21-Mar-2016 10:46   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

How do I reproduce this? I just built an album using FotoSlides 1.0.8 and it seems to display fine in the embedded browser of jAlbum 13.1.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Mar-2016 11:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I have to confess that I hadn't tried it, and like you, I'm not seeing a failure. Chrome does have a problem with it, but it seems to work just fine in both JavaFX WebView and in jxBrowser.
apeterd

Posted: 21-Mar-2016 16:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

well that's cool!

the opportunity to upgrade JAlbum to 13.1 appeared this morning here in california and now with this release the internal browser works as it used to and as I expected.

So to answer mr Ekholm's query, you would have to back up to the first previous JAlbum release, 13.0.10, to have the JAlbum/Fotoslides combo exhibit my complaint that started this thread.

thanks to everyone for their interest and help. i have no more issues
(incidentally, i am running Mac OS 10.11.3
jGromit

Posted: 21-Mar-2016 17:06   in response to: apeterd in response to: apeterd

Excellent news!

I had a feeling it might be down to some recent tweaking of the integrated browser, but I don't keep multiple jAlbum versions for testing (just the last of the jAlbum 12 line and the most recent version of 13, and that's often a beta).
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums