This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Mar-2016 21:38 Last Post By: mrag Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
joel39

Photo-Editing
Posted: 18-Mar-2016 17:26

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I digitized some terrific analog slides, but unwisely at times used an incandescent light bulb as my source of illumination and thereby left a very ugly black blotch in the middle of the digitized image.

Conventional photo editing software, like that attached to Picasa, don't work out for me. I don't have the artist's touch to use it.

So, I am looking for software which will allow me to "paint" over an ugly spot as a professional photographer could. Has anyone else had and solved this problem?

Just think of the television commercial for Microsoft Surface Book which shows a user "painting over" an ugly spot.
mrag

Re: Photo-Editing
Posted: 18-Mar-2016 18:25   in response to: joel39 in response to: joel39

If freeware, maybe a job for GIMP . Isn't Adobe PhotoShop the 'standard' cure for these type ailments? Can you attach a sample image so we are all on the same page?
jimberry

Posted: 19-Mar-2016 01:04   in response to: joel39 in response to: joel39

... unwisely at times used an incandescent light
I see from your profile page that you use a microscope extender to do your digitising.
Since you have presumably successfully digitised other slides using a different light source, is it not possible to re-digitise the problem images avoiding the use of the incandescent light?
If you have an extensive collection of slides it might be worth purchasing a proper slide/negative scanner or a scanner with slide/negative attachments.
You might even be able to outsource the job to a commercial scanning service.
... I don't have the artist's touch to use it.
Unless the area to be retouched is an empty monotone region, I doubt that any software can "paint" over it satisfactorily.
jimberry

Posted: 19-Mar-2016 01:35   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Attachment healed.png (760,0 KB)
Attached is a GIMP modified version of one of your slides where some dirt matks have been removed with the GIMP paint tool "Heal". If this is the kind of modification that appeals to you, then GIMP is an excellent way to go.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Mar-2016 17:13   in response to: joel39 in response to: joel39

(Thread moved - this isn't a question about skin development.)
mrag

Posted: 19-Mar-2016 21:34   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

A very rough (and compressed) draft of Jim's Gimp work for concept:

Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums