This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 01-Feb-2016 14:33 Last Post By: AnCa Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jeffrankin

PDF icon missing on Android and ipad
Posted: 26-Jan-2016 17:54

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've uploaded an album that includes PDFs. The PDF icon shows in the album on a Windows pc and the documents open when icon clicked. No PDF icons showing in album on ipad or Android equipment though. I use Chameleon which I'd prefer to stay with, and I want to retain the documents as PDFs.
RobM

Re: PDF icon missing on Android and ipad
Posted: 26-Jan-2016 23:12   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

Can you clarify what you mean? For your album 'Some info' recently updated I can see PDF icons on my iPad and the PDFs open correctly.
jeffrankin

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 14:30   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks. That's the right album. You should be seeing a thumbnail image plus three PDF icons. When I open that album on ipad I can't see the three PDF icons - only the thumbnail image. I've deleted and re-downloaded the app but the PDF icons still don't show. I can't see anything in the ipad settings that would prevent them showing and I can't see any setting options in the jAlbum app. Confused!
jeffrankin

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 14:59   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

Just found that if I google my jAlbum site on iPad and then open the album everything's OK - three PDF icons showing and they open. Just doesn't seem to work on the jAlbum app and that's not a problem for those who'll be viewing my PDFs. Thanks for the help.
RobM

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 15:27   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

If PDFs are not displayed within the jAlbum app then, presumably, that is a bug. Can you confirm if it is the iPad, Android or both apps that don't display the icons. I'm sure the developers would want to fix this.
jeffrankin

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 15:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Downloaded app to an iPad and a mobile running Android. On neither do the PDF icons show. Also when I googled my jAlbum site on the android mobile and opened the album the PDFs are missing - but the site switches to 'JAlbum mobile' when I try to view an album - which may be the problem. Normal photo albums scroll and view OK.
Also a slight niggle on the iPad site - the PDF can't be fully viewed unless I hit the 'close bar' button - then the PDFs view fully.
Hope that makes sense.
RobM

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 16:06   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

If you click on the album thumbnail on your jAlbum profile/album page the link is to
http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1692454
that keeps you within the jAlbum site.
The actual url for the album is http://jeffrankin.jalbum.net/Some%20info./
that opens your album on its own.

The mobile version of album's can be turned off, see http://jalbum.net/help/en/JAlbum/Website/Album
the section 'Action on albums, Mobile settings.Tick the box to disable the mobile version
jeffrankin

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 21:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks for the guidance on turning off the mobile version. That worked and the PDFs are now viewable on the Android mobile - not via the app though.
Thanks for the links to my albums which I was already aware of. They're the sort strings that I can't easily pass on verbally to a person I meet on my travels. I direct them to jeffrankin.jalbum.net from where they can view the individual albums. But the menu line at the top of the album page could be an irritation to some viewers on an iPad - images and particularly PDFs only shows in their complete form when the top bar is closed - but a jAlbum virgin wouldn't know that. The bar doesn't seem to interfere on Windows and Android. I searched the forum and thought I'd found how to turn off the line at source but none worked and the menu line remained when I opened an album when not signed in. I don't need or want it. I know how to get around the issue (by closing the bar) but people who I'll invite to view these PDFs don't and will probably get discouraged if they're on iPad.
Not a criticism - just an observation.
RobM

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 22:00   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

There are two ways round this that I can think of.
Tell your visitors to open PDFs in a new tab, that will close the bar for them.
Change your jAlbum settings to use Portfolio mode, see http://jalbum.net/en/blog/entry/portfolio-mode
jeffrankin

Posted: 27-Jan-2016 23:40   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks. I use Portfolio Mode but it doesn't get rid of the offending top menu line.
RobM

Posted: 28-Jan-2016 00:15   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

Sorry, my mistake, it only hides the menu bar on your profile page not on any album you open from there.

Last suggestion, make an album of albums, then on your profile page put your 'home' page as the root album. Visitors can click on that link and navigate to the albums they want. Maybe more trouble than it is worth, but if interested see http://jalbum.net/help/en/Tips#Album_of_albums
jeffrankin

Posted: 28-Jan-2016 16:46   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I'll stick with the current set up and manage any concerns from people. Thanks very much for the quick responses and helpful direction. Cheers
AnCa

Posted: 01-Feb-2016 14:33   in response to: jeffrankin in response to: jeffrankin

Neither the iOS app nor the Android app support PDF's, so they are not visible there. Sorry.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums