Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17-Dec-2015 19:24 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Need help with colors?
Posted: 17-Dec-2015 00:27
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Good techie, but a little shaky on design and color choices? Need some help in working out styles for your skin, or are you a user who wants to use a custom style, but you're not sure how to work out a good color scheme?

The best resource I have found so far: http://paletton.com/

Click on the "Base RGB" and enter a hex code for a color you like. Then tinker around with the settings to generate a range of lighter/darker, but still coordinated colors, complementary colors, and so on. A fabulous resource.

Stumbling onto this launched me into a cascade of skin rewrites (at the moment, I'm up to my "what's-it" in them), now that I have a way to generate things like beveled or hover borders that coordinate properly with the boxes to which they're applied.
mrag

Re: Need help with colors?
Posted: 17-Dec-2015 09:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Quite nice, thanks for the tip.
RobM

Posted: 17-Dec-2015 18:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Maybe also worth mentioning is colour legibility, several articles on the web. I've seen many sites were it is difficult to read text/links because of a low contrast between the foreground and background colours. It can be especially difficult for viewers with colour blindness.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Dec-2015 19:24   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
I've hit some sites lately that are using light gray text on a nearly-white background. With a typically "too hot" monitor, the text vanishes entirely.

The opposite are color combos like red text on a deep blue background, that almost "vibrate," and are exhausting to read!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums