This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Apr-2017 16:53 Last Post By: John-Simpson Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
John-Simpson

GROMIT- Navigation Trail
Posted: 28-Nov-2015 13:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Have you any plans to incorporate a Navigation Trail?

Such as at top level on the web site: Home>Holiday Photos>Skegness

It not essential by any means, but is a useful tool to aid where you are on the site and appears on many albums and websites.

Edited by: John-Simpson on 28-Nov-2015 12:37
jGromit

Re: GROMIT- Navigation Trail
Posted: 28-Nov-2015 14:02   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
I've avoided adding a breadcrumb trail to Gromit. Not difficult - it's an option in Matrix, so the basic techniques are readily available - but it's one more bit of visual clutter on a page. I'll put it on the "maybe" list.

The messiest part of it is figuring out where it should go - above the title bar and nav icons or below them? Left-aligned or centered? If you choose a banner style of title bar, should the trail float all the way to the left, or should it line up with the nav icons? The list goes on.

I'd be curious to see some testing - I have a sneaking suspicion that site designers love breadcrumb trails (and use them themselves), but that most site visitors never figure out that they can click on an item that's a few levels up on that breadcrumb trail. It's a big enough victory if they figure out that clicking on the big company logo on the top takes them to the home page!
John-Simpson

Posted: 28-Nov-2015 14:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That did make me smile. :)

That is exactly what I think too.

You are so right about LOGO (hidden links) and Breadcrumb trails - I would like to look over the shoulder to see what web site visitors use on my web sites. However, breadcrumb trails are used on computer operating systems these days, so you would think that those users would know what they are! (I'm still on Windows XP so quite happy to use UP level and BACK)

Where to put a Navigation Trail is, as you say, another problem. I favour somewhere at the top of the web page and near the images.

I'm happy for this request to be on your maybe list.
craigantill

Posted: 09-Dec-2015 10:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I would dearly love this feature too! I am trying to make the skin fit within an existing site which has, as a major part of it's navigation, a breadcrumb trail. It would be extremely useful to have access to this in the album and it's probably something I am going to have to try and replicate in some manner or other although it is clearly not going to function as one which is built into the skin.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Dec-2015 13:54   in response to: craigantill in response to: craigantill

It sounds like what you'd like goes a bit beyond the normal breadcrumb trail. I'm guessing you'd like to be able to include "crumbs" on that trail that are actually outside of the album, right? Normally, an album's trail wouldn't extend any higher than the top the album structure, though in Matrix I give the user some ways to add a couple of items above that.

So, you'd like something like:

Site Home Page » Galleries » Portraits » This Album » Folder » Sub-Folder
craigantill

Posted: 09-Dec-2015 14:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

We had an old version of a gallery on existing site which is three years out of date (broken SSIs, non responsive, discontinued products, etc.) which needed updating but I didn't have access to the files so I have started again. I'd want to do something like that. As you can see it is essentially the standard breadcrumb with a direct link to the homepage of the website hardcoded in front of it in our template.
John-Simpson

Posted: 09-Dec-2015 21:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

So, you'd like something like:

Site Home Page » Galleries » Portraits » This Album » Folder » Sub-Folder

Yes please, but for me it is no way essential. Especially so, since I've newly discovered what CHAIN DIRECTORIES does! Although It's been around for a while now, I've only just found it and jolly useful it is too. This is because it enables sideways navigation on index pages from one folder to another. On slide pages at first and last images you can navigate directly to the previous and next folder respectively. This is great for where you have a lots of folders with each not having many photos, because you go into one folder and keep on clicking next to view the contents of the folders sequentially without having to return to an index page each time.

I was going to say that it is the best thing since sliced bread-crumbs! :)
jGromit

Posted: 03-Apr-2016 16:05   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Correct
Gromit 31 includes a breadcrumb trail with some basic options - above or below title bar, left/center/right aligned, separator character, font styling, color choice (with Custom style only), include/exclude home page link, show on slide pages, show only on folder pages.
John-Simpson

Posted: 04-Apr-2016 21:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

THANK YOU

I found that I had to uncheck temporarily Process only updated subdirectories on an existing album or else the changes won't be generated throughout the whole album. I only mention this in case others wonder why the Breadcrumb Trail is not on pages you've asked for.

Still not got your own Gromit Forum!

Gromit Album just get better and better.

Edited by: John-Simpson on 04-Apr-2016 20:51
jGromit

Posted: 04-Apr-2016 22:24   in response to: John-Simpson in response to: John-Simpson
Helpful
Next release, I'll probably add the ability to prepend a couple of arbitrary external links to the beginning of the breadcrumb trail (Matrix lets you do that), so it could accommodate having the album buried a couple of levels deep in an existing website. That's an easy one.
John-Simpson

Posted: 19-Apr-2017 16:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks - I have been using it for some time and just forgot to close off this question. And at last you've got GROMIT it's own forum..

About time - I appreciate all the hard work that you do.

Edited by: John-Simpson on 19-Apr-2017 15:52
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums