This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 33 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 23-Nov-2015 02:26 Last Post By: jimberry Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkusD

Work flow from taking the picture to an album
Posted: 17-Oct-2015 15:27

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment Workflow.zip (449.1 KB)
Hi

Looking to the forum and to some albums from users, I haven't seen any info how the complete work flow from the moment a picture is taken will be until pictures will be available in a jAlbum watchable by the others.

Let me explain how my work flow is, maybe it could be of some help to others too.

Please see the rest of the text in the attached zip file which also contains some scripts.

A big thanks to David, jGromit, Laza, RobM, jimberry and all other supporters!

Cheers, Markus
karlmistelberger

Re: Work flow from taking the picture to an album
Posted: 01-Nov-2015 21:51   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
Attachment jalbum39.jpg (374.6 KB)
Attachment jalbum38.jpg (484.9 KB)
MarkusD wrote:
Looking to the forum and to some albums from users, I haven't seen any info how the complete work flow from the moment a picture is taken will be until pictures will be available in a jAlbum watchable by the others.

"work flow.pdf" as archived in workflow.zip is strong stuff and surely makes for some tough reading. :-)

For my part I tried hard to stay with the KISS principle, minimize the software involved and the number of steps to achieve what I want to have in my albums. The following is a concise, but complete and accurate description of my work flow:

• use a single storage area for all data. /home/karl/Bilder is an archive using a subfolder for each year, /home/karl/NeueBilder is an intermediate storage holding new stuff which gets moved to /home/karl/Bilder every month or so.

• Check Panasonic DMC-TZ71 and Garmin eTrex 30 for battery charge.

• Leave home, turn on etrex, go to trip computer, reset current track and trip data and start stop watch

• walk or run some distance, take some photos, optionally pause stop watch

• Return to home, turn off eTrex (data are saved automatically), download GPX and jpegs to computer using USB file system. digiKam is used to establish an appropriate folder structure automatically on downloading (screenshot #38).

• Geotag jpegs using digiKam (screenshot #39).

• upload GPX data to www.gpsvisualizer.com, create and download HTML map to appropriate folder and link to Karte.htt template file.

• exclude items, annotate folders, make and upload album /home/karl/NeueBilder using jAlbum only.

• make regular backups, some healthy paranoia is advisable. Currently there are two boxes located at a distance of 300 km each holding original data on SSD, builtin HDD and portable USB drives, making for a total of six identical copies.

The above fits nicely on the back of an enveloppe. In 2014 I created some 206 folders holding 5508 pictures and movies without getting tired from performing the same steps over and over again.
AndreWolff

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 12:57   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
  • Geotag jpegs using digiKam (screenshot #39).

I recommend that you read my note How to add a map to a Slide Show 4 album.

I use my own program EditPhotoInfo which you can download free of charge from my software download page to geotag my photos and make a kml file with the GPS track and waypoints of the photos.

Program EditPhotoInfo makes automatically a webpage GoogleMap.html to display the track and waypoints of the pictures.
You can display this in most skins (requires EditPhotInfo version 4.2.7.3) which support custom links to this file GoogleMap.html.

As an example of this method see my latest Pieterpad album, which is made with the Slide Show 4 skin.
It is in Dutch, but you can open a map bij clicking the 'Kaart' button. Next click a camera icon to see the picture taken at that position.

Other examples:
my Base skin test album or
my Matrix test album or
my Turtle test album or
my Minimal skin test album.

Program EditPhotoInfo has more jAlbum related functions: you can edit comment in the EXIF data block of a picture and you can make external (360 degrees-) panorama webpages

Edited by: AndreWolff on 03-Nov-2015 12:06
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 20:59   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Markus, in your workflow you mention not making public your albums because they are in German. Although it is a basic skin, if you haven't looked at it already try my polyglot. It was created specifically for multiple language support, all in one album and all on the same page. For example:
http://robm.jalbum.net/RobM/jalbum_pages/sample_albums/polyglot/photos/slides/sunset.html?lanCode=de
http://robm.jalbum.net/RobM/jalbum_pages/sample_albums/polyglot/photos/slides/sunset.html?lanCode=en
All of the texts change language (except for the extracted camera data itself).
It's a minimal skin variation so the code/technique should be easily transportable to other skins.
Plug over ;)
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 21:15   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Helpful
Markus, you mention
First script "Replace center to left for jAlbum" is to search for 
'<tr><td align="center"' and replace it to '<tr><td align="left"' in all "index.html" files
 replace="" it="" to="<tr"></td>
It would be easier to make the change once in index.htt, changing output pages is not recommended. I'm guessing it is Chameleon skin, if it is it probably won't be updated and so the change would be safe.

Edited by: RobM on 02-Nov-2015 20:16
Something weird happened to the post :(
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 21:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Markus, you mention
First script "Replace center to left for jAlbum"
It would be easier to make the change once in index.htt, changing output pages is not recommended. I'm guessing it is Chameleon skin, if it is it probably won't be updated and so the change would be safe.

I should have asked that a couple of years ago, instead of fiddling around that "problem" after the album generation. You are definitely right about that. But now it's to late, I moved to Turtle and I don't need that script any more. ;-) But thanks for your hint, it made me once more aware that tweaking the source files could do some fine magic. ;-)

Thanks, Markus
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 21:47   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
For my part I tried hard to stay with the KISS principle, minimize the software involved and the number of steps to achieve what I want to have in my albums.

It seems that I don't need Search&Replace nor Bulk Rename Utility in the future, thanks to Turtle and some new options regarding foreign characters. So, KISS is coming closer. ;-)

- upload GPX data to www.gpsvisualizer.com, create and download HTML map to appropriate folder and link to Karte.htt template file.

That www.gpsvisualizer.com is a great tip! Thx for that.

- make regular backups, some healthy paranoia is advisable. Currently there are two boxes located at a distance of 300 km each holding original data on SSD, builtin HDD and portable USB drives, making for a total of six identical copies.

I forgot to mention that in my work flow. Yes, regular backups are mandatory. And regarding backups I don't think that there can be too much.

Thanks for your thoughts.
MarkusD

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 22:21   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Markus, in your workflow you mention not making public your albums because they are in German. Although it is a basic skin, if you haven't looked at it already try my polyglot. It was created specifically for multiple language support, all in one album and all on the same page. For example:
http://robm.jalbum.net/RobM/jalbum_pages/sample_albums/polyglot/photos/slides/sunset.html?lanCode=de
http://robm.jalbum.net/RobM/jalbum_pages/sample_albums/polyglot/photos/slides/sunset.html?lanCode=en
All of the texts change language (except for the extracted camera data itself).

It is not the language of the skin which I'm after. I assume that most users understand the absolute basic words in English. What I meant are my own comments to the pictures and the comments to what I experienced on my trips. As I wrote, I used Chameleon until some month. And I liked the feature to make not only the album international, but also was able to give pictures and folder for example German and English comments. Like this in the "meta.properties" file:
title=[en]Wedding M + K[de]Heirat M + K[es]La boda de M + K
folderIcon=IMG_9577.JPG
descript=[en]Camera Markus[de]Kamera Markus[es]Cámera Markus

But, until now, Turtle doesn't support this kind of multi language feature.

Ahh, stupid me! Now I see, polyglot does translate the comments also, with Google. But, to be honest. I use Google Translate from time to time, and the results are, aeh, strange. ;-) OK, one could say, better a bad translation than no translation. And, having parts of my web site transferred to Google, I really don't like that thought. ;-)

I really would like to be able to give my own translations in Turtle like:
codedescript=enSummarydeZusammenfassung der Reise

It's a minimal skin variation so the code/technique should be easily transportable to other skins.
You developers tend to say that quit often "should be easily ____" ;-) But, if you don't have any skills in Java (like me) it's quit the contrary. Maybe I'll look into the available info on how to modify skins.

Thanks for your thoughts.
RobM

Posted: 02-Nov-2015 22:46   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Polyglot does not use Google to translate, you have to enter the texts yourself, as with Chameleon skin, though you can use Google to help. See 'Entering page content on http://robm.jalbum.net/RobM/jalbum_pages/skins/polyglot.html
This skin was inspired by Laza's Chameleon, I just made it work on a single page within a single album. I doubt if Laza would include it in Turtle though as he effectively dropped it already.

I only wish I knew Java, I'm a hack really :)
MarkusD

Posted: 06-Nov-2015 12:54   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
This skin was inspired by Laza's Chameleon, I just made it work on a single page within a single album. I doubt if Laza would include it in Turtle though as he effectively dropped it already.
What exactly to you mean with that? I know, that Chameleon is not under development any more. But that doesn't mean automatically that Turtle will never be able to use the translation techniques Chameleon was using.
RobM

Posted: 06-Nov-2015 13:00   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

If you look at the sample album and change the language by clicking on different flags you will see the page content changes to show the new language. It does not reload the page or require you to make multiple versions of the album for each language. Polyglot builds a single album with each page able to display different languages.

I don't think any other skin offers that, most would require an album for each language.
RobM

Posted: 06-Nov-2015 13:01   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

If you meant why do I think Turtle would not do that then it is because of the amount of java scripting required and the complexity of Turtle.
MarkusD

Posted: 06-Nov-2015 19:01   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
If you look at the sample album and change the language by clicking on different flags you will see the page content changes to show the new language. It does not reload the page or require you to make multiple versions of the album for each language. Polyglot builds a single album with each page able to display different languages.
As said earlier, I'm not after a skin which is able to switch languages of the generated album, I think nearly all users will understand how an album works, even if the don't speak English. I just want to deliver my own different language texts for comments and titles of pictures and folders.

If you meant why do I think Turtle would not do that then it is because of the amount of java scripting required and the complexity of Turtle.
OK, I understand. So, maybe once upon a time another great skin from Laza will manage the language feature again. ;-)

Thanks, Markus
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Nov-2015 19:37   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
It is not the language of the skin which I'm after. I assume that most users understand the absolute basic words in English. What I meant are my own comments to the pictures and the comments to what I experienced on my trips. As I wrote, I used Chameleon until some month. And I liked the feature to make not only the album international, but also was able to give pictures and folder for example German and English comments.
I have a simple solution for this problem:

To make the contents of my Slide Show 4 album available in every language, I add the Google Translator-plug-in to the album.

This works fairly good as you can see in my Scandinavia album.

The technique is simple and I think it will work for all skins.
RobM

Posted: 19-Nov-2015 20:09   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Polyglot allows titles and comments to be entered in multiple languages without using Google translation. If you are bilingual or polylingual you can enter exactly what you want for each language.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums