This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Jul-2015 13:00 Last Post By: ctwist Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Problems with panorama setting
Posted: 22-Jul-2015 20:30

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment PanSet.png (830,4 KB)
Attachment PanCleared.png (827,6 KB)
I did test your new panorama setting.

If I set the panorama check-mark, I can scroll through my panorama picture "Beerze 140420 10". However if I uncheck that check-mark and next click 'Make album", I see no difference, I can still scroll through the slide "Beerze 140420 10". Only if I first go to the next slide and go back to see that the check-box is realy cleared and next click 'Make album', I get an unscrolled slide. This is exactly what I saw when I tried to use your code in the Slide Show 4 skin.

But the panorama setting changes too the thumbnail of the image. If the panorama check-box is cleared, I see the full panorama of picture "Beerze 140420 10", see enclosed PanCleared screenshot. However if the check-mark is set, the full panorama of picture "Beerze 140420 10" is no longer visible, see enclosed PanSet screenshot.
ctwist

Re: Problems with panorama setting
Posted: 25-Jul-2015 22:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
If I set the panorama check-mark, I can scroll through my panorama picture "Beerze 140420 10". However if I uncheck that check-mark and next click 'Make album", I see no difference, I can still scroll through the slide "Beerze 140420 10". Only if I first go to the next slide and go back to see that the check-box is realy cleared and next click 'Make album', I get an unscrolled slide. This is exactly what I saw when I tried to use your code in the Slide Show 4 skin.
I can't replicate this. Right now I don't have any ideas about how to fix this.
But the panorama setting changes too the thumbnail of the image. If the panorama check-box is cleared, I see the full panorama of picture "Beerze 140420 10", see enclosed PanCleared screenshot. However if the check-mark is set, the full panorama of picture "Beerze 140420 10" is no longer visible, see enclosed PanSet screenshot.
I crop a panorama's thumbnail width if the thumbnail is not as tall as the thumbnail bounds. However, in your example, I did not consider your unusually wide thumbnail bounds.
Copy the attached file to the plugins folder; I think it will fix it.
Make sure that you delete this file when you install the next Mirage update.
AndreWolff

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 10:08   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
I can't replicate this. Right now I don't have any ideas about how to fix this.
That is strange, I can easy show this problem, may be it has something to do with the operating system? I use Windows 8.1 and 6 4bits jAlbum, I guess you use a MAC?

See here my Mirage test album which I use to test it.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 14:21   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I can sometimes replicate this problem, both in Win7 and in OSX - jAlbum 12.7.5, Java 8. It's all depressingly familiar, too.

When the discussion began about setting different image bounds under program control, rather than by manually entering image variable values for maxImageWidth and/or maxImageHeight, I tried to implement something in Matrix very similar to what ctwist is using in Mirage, using most of the same code. In my case, I was trying to give the user a pair of JSpinners in the Matrix customUI (a large beast that has its own popup window, rather than using the small area available in image edit mode), so the user could select bounds, rather than relying on a manual entry.

I ran into exactly this problem, and it seemed to be related to the timing of save()'s. It was as if my skin and the jAlbum core were both trying to access the .info file, and who got there last (and therefore had the last word, as it were) was a matter of dumb luck. So sometimes it would work like a champ, and I would think I was home free. I'd come back to it ten minutes later, and it would repeatedly fail.

I finally surrendered, removed the code, and moved on to other things. I could never figure out how to beat the problem, no matter how many event-triggered save()'s I used. I wish I could offer more helpful advice.
AndreWolff

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 14:56   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

If you look in my mirage test album you see sometimes above the enlarged pictures text like

ASCII Kolor stitching | 4 pictures | Size: 15370 x 3165 | Lens: Standard | RMS: 2.95 | FOV: 94.33 x 19.19 ~ 2.92 | Projection: Cylindrical | Color: LDR |

Where does this information come from? Why is it not showed in the 2 pictures where I set the panorama checkbox ?
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 14:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment Everest.jpg (211,3 KB)
Attachment ss000562.png (196,7 KB)
Attachment ss000563.png (575,4 KB)
Attachment ss000564.png (1,0 MB)
And it gets worse. I run into situations in which the album page thinks that it's displaying a pano, but the scaled image has different dimensions than what the album page thinks it does. And vice-versa. So, switching between pano and non-pano, I can actually get three different results on the page. Hard to describe until you see it in action.

I wish I could give you a precise sequence of things to do in order to replicate this, but I can't - controlled testing produces unpredictable, inexplicable results.

Take a look at the three screenshots attached. These all came from a project with 800x800 image bounds, feeding it the Everest image, also attached. What I did to get these three different results was, in effect, to "tinker" with combinations of checking and unchecking the Panorama box, doing Make Album, Make All, and deleting the output directory and hitting Make Album again. The results are random, and impossible to predict.

(BTW, that Everest image is ©1989, Roderick Mackenzie, so please don't use it without attribution.)
ctwist

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 15:28   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

(removed 2 off-topic messages about Matrix)
AndreWolff

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 15:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
(BTW, that Everest image is ©1989, Roderick Mackenzie, so please don't use it without attribution.)
This panorama is displayed in a much better way as we ever can get in jAlbum:
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen2/flash/full22F.html

I am glad you told us about your experience with this panorama sizing problem, because I spent already far to much time on it.
ctwist

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 15:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
you see sometimes above the enlarged pictures text like

ASCII Kolor stitching | 4 pictures | Size: 15370 x 3165 | Lens: Standard | RMS: 2.95 | FOV: 94.33 x 19.19 ~ 2.92 | Projection: Cylindrical | Color: LDR |

Where does this information come from? Why is it not showed in the 2 pictures where I set the panorama checkbox ?

Mirage displays the "comment" variable that is created by jAlbum. This is configured in the album settings (Advanced / Metadata). You need to select the comment sources. To retain the comment in resized images, check "Include photographic data in generated images".
If you need further clarification, you should open a separate topic in the General Discussion forum.
ctwist

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 16:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Does the problem still occur if you configure jAlbum to use a single thread?
I am using 2 threads (the maximum that my old clunker of a CPU will allow).
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 16:23   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
Does the problem still occur if you configure jAlbum to use a single thread?
I am using 2 threads (the maximum that my old clunker of a CPU will allow).

Still wildly variable. Single threading doesn't change things.

I have a sense of what's happening here. I'll try to describe it.

In order for the skin to create different image bounds for one image, it needs to write them out as regular user variables. If it could use its own variable (like mirageMaxImageWidth), and do the scaling on its own, there would be no problem. It wouldn't need to write that variable out to the regular user variables. But that doesn't work, for a variety of reasons. I think you'd have to keep track of which images were affected, then rescale them in finally.bsh, after the core was finished doing its bit. Otherwise, there would be timing problems.

But the jAlbum core is keeping track of the user variables that apply to this image, holding that information in RAM. So you open an image for editing, check the box, and Mirage tries to change the user variables. But the core still has the original values that it read in when opening the image for editing. Mirage saves the values. But then, when you leave that image, or trigger an album build, the core may or may not continue to use the original values. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen it overwrite the skin-generated changes in the .info file. I can almost feel a classic "race condition" going on here.

Does this make any sense?
ctwist

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 16:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Your theory matches what I was thinking.
I don't want to introduce new variables; that would generate a lot of extra work for the skin.
I am considering my next move.
jGromit

Posted: 26-Jul-2015 16:41   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
Your theory matches what I was thinking.

Yeah, tough to describe, but you can just feel the underlying problem.

I don't want to introduce new variables; that would generate a lot of extra work for the skin.
I am considering my next move.

I started down that road, but it gets very tangled, very fast. I finally concluded that the use-case was so narrow, it just wasn't worth the tsuris. For an album of all pano's, the user can use the regular image bounds to get what he wants. For the occasional pano mixed in with other images, manually entering maxImageWidth and/or maxImageHeight isn't a huge burden.

And I certainly don't want the jAlbum core to start making informed guesses about what image bounds I would want for a pano. Because of the way I'm forced to handle pano's in Matrix, that would be a mess.
ctwist

Posted: 27-Jul-2015 23:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I tried a faster new PC, but I still can't make the panorama setting fail.

I want to try one more fix. The attached file calls saveUI immediately after the panorama checkbox changes. Let me know if this makes any difference.

Edited by: ctwist on 27-Jul-2015 18:15

Experimental attachment removed.
jGromit

Posted: 28-Jul-2015 00:02   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

I'll give it a shot, but that's exactly the approach I've always taken to the customUI in Matrix - I do a saveUI() upon any change to the settings. Even that wasn't enough to conquer the beast in this case.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums