This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Apr-2017 15:29 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
cunnew

Gromit: screen cuts off bottom of images
Posted: 07-Jun-2015 21:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I was interested to see Gromit now listed as being responsive but puzzled to find that on my setup at least it wasn't. Granted it's only described as being responsive to the screen width not the depth, and width is fine. But I have been unable to keep the bottom of many images (and the caption beneath it) within the screen at all. I am viewing on a PC using Firefox and have kept images at the default 800x600.

If I zoom out to get an image plus caption to fit on the screen Firefox will normally remember that setting so that the next slide with a similar aspect ratio will be OK, but it doesn't remember and I have to keep zooming out.

Edited by: cunnew on 07-Jun-2015 21:39
jGromit

Re: Gromit: screen cuts off bottom of images
Posted: 07-Jun-2015 22:16   in response to: cunnew in response to: cunnew

It's just using simple CSS to scale things to adapt to the viewport width. If things are too tall, you have to scroll.

If you want true two-axis responsiveness, you need a skin that uses some heavy Javascript to pull that off. See Matrix, for example (though the thumbnail table of Matrix is not truly responsive, nor is video playback - it's a long story....), or Turtle (similarly, thumbnails not responsive).

Not sure what kind of "zooming" you're referring to in Firefox. If you're talking about browser zooming, there's nothing the skin can do about that - it doesn't know you're doing it. And each slide is on a new page of HTML, so the browser won't apply the same zooming. It's the same in Firefox and Chrome - a new page always starts with no browser zooming applied.

What's the resolution of your monitor? And do you have it set for its native resolution, or are you tinkering with it to make things bigger? Mine is 1680x1050, and with the default image bounds, images and their captions are always visible.
cunnew

Posted: 08-Jun-2015 10:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for your helpful reply. Yes I use the native resolution but I have the display setting in Windows (8.1) on 140%, which could cause problems I suppose. But I've always found that if I adjust the Firefox zoom to fit an image the next one will be OK; I don't claim to be an expert but my impression here is that the requirement to fit width to the screen may be taking priority to the extent that height is reset to the default by the skin each time ... ?
jGromit

Posted: 08-Jun-2015 13:44   in response to: cunnew in response to: cunnew

cunnew wrote:
...my impression here is that the requirement to fit width to the screen may be taking priority to the extent that height is reset to the default by the skin each time ... ?

I almost never use the browser zoom, but in my quick tests with it, the next page I visit never has the same zoom level as the page I just left. It doesn't appear to be something that the web page itself can control, at least not easily. If you're seeing a persistent zoom, you're probably viewing a page that shows the images dynamically - in other words, when you see the next image, you're still actually on the same page. Watch the address bar to see what's happening.

Until I got better computer glasses, I did mess with the Windows display settings, and yeah, they can do some odd things!
cunnew

Posted: 08-Jun-2015 16:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, glasses may have something to do with it! But as a matter of interest regarding zoom, I think Firefox remembers the particular zoom level for every website you visit. That's why I switched from IE many years ago, because - at that time anyway - if you zoomed in or out with IE it retained the same setting for everything.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Apr-2017 15:29   in response to: cunnew in response to: cunnew

Gromit version 42 can now be set to "fully responsive," so images aren't cut off (and that's the default setting).
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums