This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 04-Nov-2015 12:00 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
66tatwood

Why Can't Bananna Album Automatically Reflect Photos Adjusted in Photoshop
Posted: 29-Jan-2015 23:01

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Every now and then I adjust my existing photos in Photoshop (brightness, saturation, etc.).

I have a Banana Album already made with hundreds of photos.

I WISH that when I adjusted the original / source photos, I could just "Make" / "run" the album again and have jalbum use the new files. (Same file names).

Instead, Jalbum only uses the old pre-adjusted files. To have the new files used, I'd need to delete each photo from the album and add it again, or else I lose the copy in my album associated with each photo which took forever to add. You can add new photos and chose "replace" but then the newly-adjusted photos lose the copy.

Anyone find a way around this? Of using adjusted photos but keeping the copy associated with them?

Thanks!!

Edited by: 66tatwood on 29-Jan-2015 23:31
jGromit

Re: Why Can't Bananna Album Automatically Reflect Photos Adjusted in Photoshop
Posted: 29-Jan-2015 23:55   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

This isn't really a BananAlbum issue at all - it's more about the way the jAlbum core program operates.

Under Tools, Preferences, Album, When adding files, if you choose Copy, jAlbum copies the original into the project. But from that point on, it no longer has any idea where that original came from, and doesn't care. That's a good thing, since it means you can move the original, rename it, delete it, spin it off to an external drive, whatever, without breaking the project. But of course, that also means that if you alter the original, the project knows nothing about it.

In theory, choosing Link instead of Copy should eliminate this problem. It does mean that you can't move the originals, because jAlbum still needs to know where they are. It should detect changes to the original. But in experimenting with this, I've uncovered some buggy behavior in jAlbum. I'll be starting a new thread about it in the Bugs section once I've nailed it down better.
66tatwood

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 01:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks. I tried unchecking "copy originals" but it still doesn't seem to work. I have "link to originals" checked. Any other tips? Have a great day.
66tatwood

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 01:51   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

Or I guess I should say, I am afraid to uncheck "copy originals" because I don't want to have to upload each original image when the album goes live. Seems like that could be a logistical nightmare. Thanks!
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 02:27   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

You're misunderstanding what those options mean. I'm talking about the choices under Tools, Preferences, Album, When adding files. Those decide whether, when you add an image to a project, jAlbum just keeps a link that points to the original image file, or copies it into the project.

The choices under Album > Settings > Pages are very different, and have absolutely nothing to do with this issue. These options tell jAlbum what type of image to include in the output - scaled, not scaled, etc. They have nothing to do with how it handles the source images. If you choose Link to originals, jAlbum uses your original images in the album, without scaling (resizing) them. If you're talking about typical images from a digital camera, those are much too large, and will make for very slow page loading. Stick to Link to scaled-down images only.

Difficult to explain, but just leave Copy originals checked at all times. jAlbum will copy the originals to the output only if it actually needs to. It will not create any uploading problems, nor will it include any extra images in the output directory.
66tatwood

Posted: 15-Oct-2015 04:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks so much for this. Extremely helpful. If, however, I WANT changes in my source photos (such as when I adjust brightness) for an existing album to be reflected in the jalbum, rather than choosing "copy", I should choose "link", correct? Or were you saying there are bugs with the "link" option.
66tatwood

Posted: 15-Oct-2015 04:43   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

Oh, and just one other thing! I actually don't see Tools - Preferences - Album anywhere. Not sure where to go to choose "link". Thanks!
jGromit

Posted: 15-Oct-2015 06:51   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

66tatwood wrote:
Thanks so much for this. Extremely helpful. If, however, I WANT changes in my source photos (such as when I adjust brightness) for an existing album to be reflected in the jalbum, rather than choosing "copy", I should choose "link", correct?

That's correct.
jGromit

Posted: 15-Oct-2015 06:54   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

66tatwood wrote:
Oh, and just one other thing! I actually don't see Tools - Preferences - Album anywhere.

On a PC, it's under Tools, Preferences, Album, When adding files. If you're on a Mac, it's under jAlbum, Preferences, Album, When adding files.
66tatwood

Posted: 04-Nov-2015 05:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

One thought I had. In order for JAlbum (each time I edit in Photoshop existing/source photos and want those photo edits reflected in the album) to reflect changes in the source photos. Do you think it would work to go into an existing album and delete all the images from the images folder, then make/run the album again?
jGromit

Posted: 04-Nov-2015 07:33   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

No, that would just produce an album with no images.
RobM

Posted: 04-Nov-2015 12:00   in response to: 66tatwood in response to: 66tatwood

There are help pages which hopefully will, um, help explain some of this stuff ;)
You could start here or when in jAlbum press F1, use the Help menu, or click on the help (?) icon near the top right of the window. Help is context sensitive and is supported by some skins, like Turtle, Matrix and Gromit, to name a few. Some skins have links to their documentation on this page.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums