This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 02-Feb-2015 21:09 Last Post By: cedricfan Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
cedricfan

"Make album" makes always all pictures
Posted: 26-Jan-2015 13:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,
I have just changed from DPL into SimpleViewer, and I like the looks of it and how well it works.
But I have a problem about adding new pictures into my album.
In the past when I clicked "Make album" and there the first option with "Make only the ones with changes" the DPL made and uploaded only the new pictures
But with SimpleViewer it still makes all, just like with clicking the second "Make all" button.
And with 30.000 pictures it takes hours, plus I get bandwidth problems when uploading.
There bust be a button hidden somewhere in the settings to correct this, please help me to find it :)
jGromit

Re: "Make album" makes always all pictures
Posted: 26-Jan-2015 13:57   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

The Make Changes option doesn't do what you think it does. It's designed to rebuild the pages, but without processing the images, even if the images actually do need to be reprocessed (because of a change in something like the image bounds, for example). In short, this is a strange option, and should almost never be used.

Just click Make Album every time. The jAlbum core will process only the images it needs to. The skin has nothing to do with it. I have just confirmed this with a small test album. Adding a new image, then clicking Make Album causes only that one new image to be processed. The slide images from the existing album are not updated.
cedricfan

Posted: 29-Jan-2015 17:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

OK, so now I have finally gotten through some testing, and still something is wrong...
Make album does work like you describe. But it gives every image a new date stamp, even if it doesn't process them.
And when I upload the album, it uploads all my 30.000 images = bandwidth problems, and it takes 4 hours to upload even one new image as it uploads everything.
So is there a trick even here? I do press the "changed ones only" option. But with a new date stamp, all images have been changed.

Edited by: cedricfan on 29-Jan-2015 17:56
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2015 18:03   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

I can't replicate that - the date stamps remain unchanged.

Please attach your project file (jalbum-settings.jap). Maybe there's a clue in it.
cedricfan

Posted: 29-Jan-2015 18:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Here, I hope :)

Edited by: cedricfan on 29-Jan-2015 18:27
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2015 19:17   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

Nope, no help there. If I make an album, wait a couple of minutes, add a few images, and make the album again, the only images that get new time stamps in the output are the images that I just added.

All I can suggest is that you do a complete uninstall/reinstall of jAlbum - it will take only a few minutes. See the first post in this thread:

http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=35746

Then reinstall the skin, just to make sure you've got a clean copy (though the skin isn't involved in deciding whether to remake the images).
cedricfan

Posted: 29-Jan-2015 20:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

OK, but do I have to save my settings somehow, like screenshots, if I make this reinstalling?
I mean do they disappear in this process?
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2015 22:03   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

No. Your projects, default settings, installed skins, etc., are untouched by reinstalling the core. It's like reinstalling MS Word - you don't lose your documents.

But even before you go down that road, try a little experiment.

• Start a new album project by adding three or four images, and give it a name (keep it simple - no apostrophes, punctuation, etc.).
  • Select some skin other than SimpleViewer, then switch back to the SimpleViewer skin (this will reset all the settings to the SimpleViewer defaults).
  • Click Make Album
  • Open the output directory - Tools, Open Directories, Output directory - then open the slides folder.
  • Make sure Windows Explorer is showing you the time stamps on the files - there's an icon on the upper right where you can select the display format, and you want Details.
  • Wait a couple of minutes, then add two more images, and click Make Album.
  • Now look at the slides in the output directory again. Are you actually seeing new time stamps on all of them?
cedricfan

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 17:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Done this new album project with BananAlbum, and yes, now only these newly added pics have the new time stamp. First pictures 15 minutes ago keep the original stamp.
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 17:23   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

In that case, I'm at a complete loss to explain the problem you're seeing with your big album. The core program is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

With your big album, look in the output directory. Are the existing image files actually getting new timestamps every time you *Make Album*?
cedricfan

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 17:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

And switched the trial album to SimpleViewer, and only new pics get new time stamps. Next I will try with the "original album" once again.

May take a while before I answer, estimate on time left is almost an hour. Not looking good for one added photo...

Edited by: cedricfan on 30-Jan-2015 17:40

Edited by: cedricfan on 30-Jan-2015 17:41
jGromit

Posted: 30-Jan-2015 17:41   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

No, no, no. If you switch to a different skin, it's probably coming with different image bounds, so of course it will reprocess all the images. Not a good test.
cedricfan

Posted: 31-Jan-2015 09:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good morning,
I changed the new trial album to SimpleViewer only, and made no changes to the original one.
So all I have done has been making a new album with only a few pictures, and in BananAlbum, then switching that to SimpleViewer, adding some pictures within some minutes.
Today I then uploaded the original album with one new picture, and now it worked like it should, only that new picture (and naturally the album files) were uploaded :)
Looking at time stamps "Modified 28th Jan 2015" seems to be the latest now, except yesterdays picture. But every picture has that 28th Jan 2015 stamp, even if I didn't do any changes to the skin then.
Odd, but now all is well.
cedricfan

Posted: 02-Feb-2015 21:09   in response to: cedricfan in response to: cedricfan

And still works perfectly :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums