This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 27-Nov-2014 08:26 Last Post By: karlmistelberger Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
lostinqueens

Rotated mov Files Become Corrupt in Windows 7, x64
Posted: 17-Nov-2014 15:04

Click to reply to this thread Reply
When I try to rotate an MOV file in jAlbum, the resulting mp4 file is corrupt. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using jAlbum 12.2.4 with Turtle 5.2.5 on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

Here's the original MOV file: http://davidkass <dot >com/filesForjAlbum/Original.mov (This file will take some time to download. My apologies for the slow up-speed on this server.)

Here's the rotated mp4 file: http://davidkass <dot> com/filesForjAlbum/Converted.mp4

I'm not doing much to the file other than rotating it. If I don't rotate the video clip, all is well.

In Firefox on the Windows 7 machine, the rotated file appears as a corrupt file. In IE, only audio is heard. No video is seen.

I've tried saving the 'mov' file as an 'avi' file with Avidemux and fiddling with rotation and codec's in that application, but I still have no luck.

Am I missing a codec that is needed by jAlbum?

Thanks for your help.
jGromit

Re: Rotated mov Files Become Corrupt in Windows 7, x64
Posted: 17-Nov-2014 15:23   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

How are you rotating the video? AFAIK, jAlbum doesn't have the ability to rotate videos - only still images.
lostinqueens

Posted: 17-Nov-2014 15:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Starting with jAlbum 11, you can rotate videos. When exploring an album, I right-clicked on the video in question and selected "Rotate 90 degrees".
jGromit

Posted: 17-Nov-2014 15:39   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

I get the same result you do. In fact, I grabbed your original video and tried rotating it in another video application (while converting it to MP4), and that fails, as well.

I've tried a number of other tricks, but nothing seems to work. I've even tried converting to MP4 outside of jAlbum, then rotating within jAlbum. Some MP4's work when I do this, others do not.

To say I'm puzzled would be an understatement.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Nov-2014 16:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The only application I've discovered that can rotate a video and export it in a format that all browsers (Windows and Mac) can handle is iMovie.

(Amazingly, iMovie also seems to cure anamorphic videos, without doing anything special. The "share to file" function seems to take care of it automagically.)
lostinqueens

Posted: 17-Nov-2014 17:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank you. I will try iMovie. Your suggestion also prompted a thought. I have Adobe Premiere Elements, which allows you to rotate a video. If I rotate the video in Premiere Elements, jAlbum will correctly display the resulting video, provided it's saved as an mp4 or mpg file.

Hopefully, this issue in jAlbum will be addressed so this additional step will be eliminated.

Thanks for the idea.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Nov-2014 17:29   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

lostinqueens wrote:
Thank you. I will try iMovie. Your suggestion also prompted a thought. I have Adobe Premiere Elements, which allows you to rotate a video. If I rotate the video in Premiere Elements, jAlbum will correctly display the resulting video, provided it's saved as an mp4 or mpg file.

Using iMovie is a bit of a pain, since it expects you to stay within its loving embrace. I had to do some hunting to figure out how to get it to write out the file as a rotated MP4. If it's easier in Elements, stick with that one!

Hopefully, this issue in jAlbum will be addressed so this additional step will be eliminated.

Alas, the resident jAlbum ffmpeg expert is no longer with the company, and David is almost as clueless as the rest of us when it comes to manipulating video files. But those "portrait mode" videos don't display properly in any browser (using a straight <video> tag) - even Windows Media Player chokes on them. So this is a problem that's not restricted to jAlbum.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 19:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
The only application I've discovered that can rotate a video and export it in a format that all browsers (Windows and Mac) can handle is iMovie.

I use: jAlbum > edit > rotate. All real browsers Chrome, Chromium and Firefox play the resulting mp4.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 20:41   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
I use: jAlbum > edit > rotate. All real browsers Chrome, Chromium and Firefox play the resulting mp4.

If that worked for every video, it would be great. But it doesn't. Try it with the sample video that the original poster provided, and you'll see what we're talking about.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 20:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
karlmistelberger wrote:

If that worked for every video, it would be great. But it doesn't. Try it with the sample video that the original poster provided, and you'll see what we're talking about.

Voila: http://karlmistelberger.jalbum.net/testjAlbum/2014/2014-11-21/index.html#Original.mp4
jGromit

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 21:04   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Try it in Firefox. Try it in IE11. Try it in Windows Media Player. Try it on a page with just a simple <video> tag.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 21:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BTW, it will work in FF on OSX because that browser (unlike FF on Windows) doesn't have native video support for MP4's, so it uses Flash to play it. That's the only "current" browser, aside from IE8, that will use Flash to play MP4's rather than using its native HTML5 video capability.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 21:29   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment jAlbum15.jpg (348.4 KB)
Attachment jAlbum14.jpg (300.2 KB)
jGromit wrote:
BTW, it will work in FF on OSX because that browser (unlike FF on Windows) doesn't have native video support for MP4's, so it uses Flash to play it. That's the only "current" browser, aside from IE8, that will use Flash to play MP4's rather than using its native HTML5 video capability.

Firefox 33.0-46.2.x86_64 as well as Chromium Version 39.0.2171.65 (64-bit) use the <VIDEO>-Tag, see screen shots.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 21:32   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

But not Firefox on OSX. Version 34 may finally add this capability, but it's not there yet.

If this problem were as simple as you seem to think it is, do you really think we'd have been having this discussion? Do you think we're all idiots?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 23:20   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

lostinqueens wrote:
When I try to rotate an MOV file in jAlbum, the resulting mp4 file is corrupt. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using jAlbum 12.2.4 with Turtle 5.2.5 on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

Here's the original MOV file: http://davidkass <dot >com/filesForjAlbum/Original.mov (This file will take some time to download. My apologies for the slow up-speed on this server.)

Here's the rotated mp4 file: http://davidkass <dot> com/filesForjAlbum/Converted.mp4

I downloaded Original.mov and Converted.mp4 Both videos play well with all software installed: browsers Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Konqueror, the Kaffeine and VLC media player and video editor OpenShot.

However the performance of your server is very poor:

• Original.mov: 9,71M 13,9KB/s in 13m 47ss

• Converted.mp4: 1,24M 16,2KB/s in 99s
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums