This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 22 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 24-Apr-2014 22:50 Last Post By: davidekholm
Andyman

How to print a contact sheet?
Posted: 13-Apr-2014 14:11

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Cannot find a Menue entry to print a contact sheet within JA. How can I print a contact sheet with images and filename out on paper or as a .pdf?
RobM

Re: How to print a contact sheet?
Posted: 13-Apr-2014 18:34   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

There is no function within the jAlbum interface to produce a contact print sheet. You would have to a HTML page generated when making an album. There is a template, http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=255429&#255429 , which will produce thumbnails for all images in a directory and any sub-directories. Placed at the root level it would produce a contact print sheet of all images. It does not however output file names, but could probably be modified to do so, it would need some changes to the layout/CSS.

An alternative would be to arrange for all thumbnails to fit on one index page, using your current skin. In either case you would then need to send that page to your printer, but then you might get problems with images being split over two pages.
Andyman

Posted: 14-Apr-2014 11:30   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

o.k. thanks. Would be great to see a basic function like a contact sheet in a future JA release. The HTML page workaround isn't that nice. I found another solution via Photoshop. I generate the Slides in JA and let then Photoshop generate the contact sheet including the filename.
davidekholm

Posted: 14-Apr-2014 11:40   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Andyman wrote:
o.k. thanks. Would be great to see a basic function like a contact sheet in a future JA release. The HTML page workaround isn't that nice. I found another solution via Photoshop. I generate the Slides in JA and let then Photoshop generate the contact sheet including the filename.

Thanks for the idea, I will consider it. Can you please attach a mock-up PDF on how you wish it to look?
Andyman

Posted: 14-Apr-2014 17:23   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Attachment pdf_2.JPG (306.8 KB)
Attachment pdf_1.JPG (31.8 KB)
Here's a sample from an older Photoshop (CS2) contact sheet feature. Just plain and simple.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Apr-2014 21:38   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Andyman wrote:
Here's a sample from an older Photoshop (CS2) contact sheet feature. Just plain and simple.

Thank you. I'll see what can be done.
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Apr-2014 01:33   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Attachment JPrint.jaext (37.6 KB)
Hi again,

Now I've rewritten jAlbum's Print plugin so it can print multiple images per page. Just install the attached file by double clicking it or dropping it onto jAlbum. You will have to remove the old "JPrint.jar" file from jAlbum's "ext" folder too. Then restart jAlbum and select images to be printed, then right click and select "Print".

What do you think?

Edited by: davidekholm on 19-Apr-2014 13:26
(Improved print quality and added layout preview indicator)

Edited by: davidekholm on 24-Apr-2014 00:45
(Updated to fix issue with duplicate images being printed)
Andyman

Posted: 21-Apr-2014 09:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi David,

thank you very much. Not bad at all. I tried today a quick check with 4 images per page. Printing out with the Kyocera Laser Printer works fine (just tested with only 2 pages = 8 images, will try it with 100+ images).

Then I tried to print out the contact sheet as a .pdf via the installed PDF24 (from http://en.pdf24.org). That doesn't work. PDF printer hangs. I have no idea if this error is related to JA or PDF24?

Platform: W 7, x64

Thxs
Andy
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Apr-2014 11:43   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Andyman wrote:
Hi David,

thank you very much. Not bad at all. I tried today a quick check with 4 images per page. Printing out with the Kyocera Laser Printer works fine (just tested with only 2 pages = 8 images, will try it with 100+ images).

Then I tried to print out the contact sheet as a .pdf via the installed PDF24 (from http://en.pdf24.org). That doesn't work. PDF printer hangs. I have no idea if this error is related to JA or PDF24?

Platform: W 7, x64

Thxs
Andy

Hi Andy,
Thanks for getting back. I suspect PDF24. I've printed both PDFs and real pages from this tool fine on my Mac (i.e. no hanging). Try reporting the problem to the makers of PDF24.
Andyman

Posted: 21-Apr-2014 17:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment pdfprinterror.JPG (35.4 KB)
Hi David,

do you have a chance to test it on W 7, x64? Before reporting the issue to the PDF24 guys I wanna make sure that it is not JA. I tried it again several times and all what I get is "...not accepting the printing job". Screenshot attached.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Apr-2014 12:36   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Andyman wrote:
Hi David,

do you have a chance to test it on W 7, x64? Before reporting the issue to the PDF24 guys I wanna make sure that it is not JA. I tried it again several times and all what I get is "...not accepting the printing job". Screenshot attached.

I have access to Windows 8.1. I tested and it printed fine there too, to our local laser printer. You may get more information on why the print job was rejected if you set jAlbum's "Logging level" to "FINE" under jAlbum preferences, then retry the print attempt. You may now see a better error description inside jAlbum's system console windows (Tools->System console)
Andyman

Posted: 22-Apr-2014 14:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi David,

where's the JA logging feature located? Cannot find it.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Apr-2014 14:08   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Andyman wrote:
Hi David,

where's the JA logging feature located? Cannot find it.

In jAlbum 12, its located under jAlbum Preferences. Under earlier jAlbum versions you simply tick the "Debug mode" checkbox under jAlbum Preferences.
Andyman

Posted: 22-Apr-2014 14:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Here is the Debug info (shorted):

jAlbum 11.6.14 system console.
This section captures debug prints sent to System.out and System.err
The top section evaluates BeanShell expressions (interpreted Java)
Press Strg+E to evaluate an expression. (Evaluates selected text if selection is active)
You have access to the basic jAlbum implicit objects such as engine and window

Sample expressions:
4*(3+2); // Basic calculations
engine.getSkin(); // Use of implicit object
for (AlbumObject ao : selectedObjects) System.out.println(ao); // Iterate over selected objects
window.messageBox("You can interact with any Java object");

Calling URL http://jalbum.net/integration/skin-info/FotoPlayer_v4.1
Trying com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader@fa532 for C:\proof_jalbum\meinealben\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\.jalbum\cache\317.jpg

Using size: java.awt.Dimensionwidth=96,height=96
Trying com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader@17c2b4e for C:\proof_jalbum\meinealben\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\317.jpg -> C:\xxxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\hirez_jpg\317.jpg

Flavors changed
Trying com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader@9abcef for C:\proof_jalbum\meinealben\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\317.jpg -> C:\xxxxxxxxxx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxx\hirez_jpg\317.jpg
davidekholm

Posted: 23-Apr-2014 10:56   in response to: Andyman in response to: Andyman

Hi. That sadly doesn't tell anything more about the problem. You may ask the makers of that PDF generating software if they put any special requirements on the source data that is passed to them. As far as I understand, we're doing a very "vanilla" print, so I don't think jAlbum is the cause of the problems you're having with printing PDFs.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums