This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Jul-2014 19:49 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Munene

4/3 or APS-C?
Posted: 09-Mar-2014 20:40

Click to reply to this thread Reply
OK,

An oldy but goody. I have a Lumix GF1, my first serious digital camera, and I love it (background: I shoot mostly street photography and for 20 years used my Leica M6 with only a 50mm 1.4 lens). There seem to be many improvements with the GX7, and I am ready to move up. But, I have been reading about the Fuji EX2, and am quite intrigued. How much "better" is the larger processor? How much bigger is the camera itself.

Unfortunately where I live (and even the city 2 hours away), there is no store that carries these (one store in Orlando might have the lumix, no one has the Fuji), so I cannot just go and hold them! : (

Any advice? Here is my site so you can see what I shoot:

Thanks!

Munene

Edited by: RobM on 10-Mar-2014 01:31
Link removed
RobM

Re: 4/3 or APS-C?
Posted: 10-Mar-2014 02:36   in response to: Munene in response to: Munene

You may get an answer from a camera expert here, but most people are interested in making photo albums. I use an APS-C, but I know others prefer full frame or 4/3. Maybe it is more about the lens quality?
Munene

Posted: 11-Mar-2014 22:55   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks. I figured all these photo albums were made by enthusiasts, and here is a thread on photography equipment there may be some techies out there... : )
RobM

Posted: 12-Mar-2014 00:44   in response to: Munene in response to: Munene

Lots of techies in the forums for sure, but not many hang around here. It is not the most visited forum section, only one post in 2013, and that is a bit self promoting. You never know though, it could be the start of a rush ;)
alan927

Posted: 13-Mar-2014 01:12   in response to: Munene in response to: Munene

I only shoot Canon, so I can't help much with the specifics of other brands.

But I have both APS-C and 4:3 cameras and I find myself cropping the 4:3 photos down to 3:2 so that all of my photos are the same aspect ratio. 3:2 has been the standard since 35mm film, so that's what I'm used to.

When it comes to processors, I find that I don't use many of the new features on the newer phones. I shoot in either Aperture Priority or Time Priority and do all of the RAW conversions myself with Photomatix. So I get my processing improvements in new versions of Photomatix, not new versions of the cameras.

Last year I got a new Canon EOS 60D (18 megapixels) to "replace" my old EOS 20D (8 megapixels), but in reality since I do all of the RAW conversions myself the photos have bigger file sizes, but other than that aren't that different. My "small camera" is the PowerShot S110 (the EOS of point and shoot cameras, and 12 megapixels); I've printed a 16x20 photo from the S110 and it looks great. The only time I use the 60D anymore is for motosports, because it's the fastest camera I have (powers on in 0.1 sec and shoots 5 frames/sec). But most people can't tell which photos on my website were taken with the 20D vs. 60D vs. S110.

So you just have to figure out what's important to you and how much you want to pay. Check out the camera hardware websites for more info on weight, picture quality, etc.
RobM

Posted: 13-Mar-2014 01:32   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

The rush to bigger (Sales speak better!) pixel count used to come at a cost, increased noise. My first digital camera, a Kodak 2 megapixel, had almost no noise. The current one, a Canon 450D has more pixels and more noise, although newer ones seem to have better noise reduction.

A friend got a full frame camera specifically to try to reduce noise in low light shots, but again got a camera with more pixels.

They should make camera salespeople study quantum mechanics, then they might give better advice ;)
Munene

Posted: 14-Mar-2014 00:56   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

So, you have both processors (I also started cropping to 3:2 on my Lumix). You didn't really mention how the 4:3 shows against the APS-C. I realize it is not about pixels, both cameras I am looking at are 16mp. What is making me hesitate on getting the Lumix is that the processor is smaller than the Fuji. I am reading that this really shows in low light situations. But I was wondering if in daylight, how a 20X24 from each compares in its resolution and the clarity of the print. I just returned from a trip out of the country, and I am pretty happy with the results from my Lumix 4/3, and the GX7 is supposed to be an improved processor from the GF1, but I can't help to think that many of the tests do show the APS-C sensor's images to be slightly sharper. And remember, I shot for 20 years with my Leica M6 and the 50mm 1.4 lens, so I am spoiled when it comes to "sharpness." Like you, most of the other bells and whistles are meaningless (I also shoot in raw, but use Lightroom). But I do like the smaller less obtrusive camera (or lens, I don't think the camera is really any larger). Unfortunately there is no where within hours from me where I can go and hold the camera! Aaaarrgghh!!!!

Thanks.
AnCa

Posted: 14-Mar-2014 14:55   in response to: Munene in response to: Munene

With "4/3" you mean the Micro Four Thirds system and not any camera with a 4:3 width/height ratio (which almost all non SLR-camera have)?
Munene

Posted: 16-Mar-2014 05:13   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Yes, sorry, I always forget the "micro." Friday I bought the X-e2. I have 30 days to decide and still get a refund (or 250 shots). I probably only need a week and 50-60 shots. If it is not love, I will get the GX7. : )
Munene

Posted: 09-Jul-2014 19:22   in response to: Munene in response to: Munene

3 months with the XE2. While I cannot understand some of their design choices, the camera's images are great, and shooting in manual like an old 35mm camera is wonderful.
RobM

Posted: 09-Jul-2014 19:49   in response to: Munene in response to: Munene

I just looked at this page, http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x-pro1/3
Interesting, the modification to the Bayer filter.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums