This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 27-Sep-2015 01:07 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
mdb

Jalbum's iPad app
Posted: 15-Dec-2013 22:24

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have been a jAlbum user for some time on my desktop and have been very happy with it. Therefore having just bought an iPad I thought I would install the jAlbum app and add some more allbums to the ones I already have on my own web site with this.

My first problem is that I cannot find any user guide for the app - what you can do with it and how to do it. For example, I can find no reference to skins - what skins can I use and how do I specify this?

When I proceed with Create Album and select a small set of photos as a test, using Add Photo from the Photo Library to select them I then find that after I have touched Done they all get marked "failed" - what does this mean? I can find no way of finding out what error causes this.

How do I specify that I want to write the album to my web site rather than using your space? Does this come later?

A search through your tutorials, FAQs and help files only produced info for the desktop system. Am I missing something simple or is there a gap here in your documentation.

Any assistance you can give me would be very gratefully received!
AnCa

Re: Jalbum's iPad app
Posted: 16-Dec-2013 14:42   in response to: mdb in response to: mdb

The default skin when using the iOS app is the Turtle skin. You can't change this from within the app, but if you sign in to your profile at jalbum.net using the web browser you can edit the album and select another skin from within the jAlbum online editor.

The app can only be used to publish albums to jalbum.net, so you need either a Premium or Power storage account here at jalbum.net to use the app for publishing. The app can't be used to upload albums to your own site. This will probably not change in the near future.
mdb

Posted: 16-Dec-2013 17:06   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Thanks for your reply - it has made things much clearer.

I'm quite happy to use the Turtle skin - if can I turn on the Search facility this skin has! Is this possible?

You did not answer my query about why the photos failed. Is this because I do not currently have any space on jalbum.net? I am a Standard Licence user. If I signed up for a Premium account would these failures disappear?

You also did not answer my concerns about the lack of documentation. Both the points in your reply should have been clear for any user to see before they wasted a lot of time (as I have!) trying to find out what they are doing wrong. Is there documentation I am missing or is it still to be published?
AnCa

Posted: 16-Dec-2013 17:20   in response to: mdb in response to: mdb
Helpful
mdb wrote:
I'm quite happy to use the Turtle skin - if can I turn on the Search facility this skin has! Is this possible?

Unfortunately no... The functionality of the albums created with the app and the online editor is quite limited....

You did not answer my query about why the photos failed. Is this because I do not currently have any space on jalbum.net?

Yes, you can only upload if you have our storage service. The error message should be better though.... We'll take a look at that.

I am a Standard Licence user. If I signed up for a Premium account would these failures disappear?

Yes.

You also did not answer my concerns about the lack of documentation.

Oh, you noticed... :)
The only documentation we have is the one at http://jalbum.net/apps/ios . Unfortunately it does mention that upload only work for albums at jalbum.net. We should update both that page and the description at App store. But you can still view albums published anywhere, as long as the album has been added to a user profile page.
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-May-2014 16:02   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
The default skin when using the iOS app is the Turtle skin. You can't change this from within the app, but if you sign in to your profile at jalbum.net using the web browser you can edit the album and select another skin from within the jAlbum online editor.
I like to choose there my own skin, the Slide Show 4 skin, which is specially designed for the iPad And the iPhone, but it is not in the list.

What do I have to do to add the Slide Show 4 skin to that list, so that I can use that skin in the jAlbum iPad app?
AnCa

Posted: 07-May-2014 11:55   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

You can't... The is no way of adding a skin of your own to the app, since the album is generated on our servers and the skin needs to be installed on the servers.
AndreWolff

Posted: 07-May-2014 12:04   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
You can't... The is no way of adding a skin of your own to the app, since the album is generated on our servers and the skin needs to be installed on the servers.
OK so please install the Slide Show 4 skin on your server.
AnCa

Posted: 07-May-2014 12:37   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Due to maintenance, license and security reasons we only have a few skins installed in the jAlbum online album creator, and prefer skins that have been developed inhouse.
AndreWolff

Posted: 07-May-2014 13:30   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
Due to maintenance, license and security reasons we only have a few skins installed in the jAlbum online album creator, and prefer skins that have been developed inhouse.
Well, I can select skins like Photostack, Lumen, Mr.Burns and PostcardViewer.

Are all these skins inhouse developped?

Neither of these skins will work on an iPad, because they all use Flash!

So why do you allow an iPad app to select skins which are not working on an iPad and disallow you skins which are specially designed for an iPad?
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Sep-2015 17:32   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
Well after 2 years I did test all possible skins with this test album to see what has been improved.

You should expect that an album made on the iPad, should be viewable in an easy way on an iPad, but the results of my tests are very disappointing:

SimpleViewer and Turtle:
Only swipe support for next/previous image, but not for 'Back to the index page'. Not working on an iPhone.

Photojack and Matrix:
No swipe support.

Showcase, Simplicity , Galleria and PhotoBox:
No swipe support a slide page shows only a part of the photo, it is not possible to see the whole photo! (caused by this bug). After closing the top tool-bar, you have to scroll to see the whole photo..

Lumen: No swipe support, no navigation buttons, ugly layout thumbs page.

Mr.Burns: No swipe support, no navigation buttons, ugly layout thumbs page.
Compact and Expo: No swipe support, no thumbs page.

PostcardViewer, EyeSocket and PhotoStack: not working at all, produces only a black page!

Neither of these skins is really responsive and mobile friendly.

The test album does not work on an iPhone, because the used skin is ignored and it is not possible to disable the automatic mobile version for the test album made with the iOS app.

So you still refuse to add the Slide Show 4 skin, which is specially designed for the iPad and the iPhone ?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums