This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 11-Jan-2015 22:57 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bondo

kaya not supporting anymore ?
Posted: 03-Oct-2013 10:53

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Seems like his last post was two years ago... :-(
jGromit

Re: kaya not supporting anymore ?
Posted: 03-Oct-2013 10:58   in response to: bondo in response to: bondo

Well, kaya is certainly still around: http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=276226#276226

But PositionMap hasn't been updated in two years, and as you can see from this forum section, it hasn't been getting much attention from users.
bondo

Posted: 03-Oct-2013 11:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

So I'm the only user then ;)
larryluckham

Posted: 11-Jan-2015 22:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

It seems a great shame that position mapping isn't getting greater support as many people are now using cameras that record position data. While this may be of limited interest for around the house snapshots, the value in travel photography, and other situations would seem to have universal appeal.

My albums are all posted on locally hosted, as in my company servers, and I have only very recently tried to see if I could get position mapping to work on a test album. I note a message that seems to advise that position mapping only works on "published" albums, which I take to mean those posted on Jalbum's site. Poking into the details I find that the generated slides do not contain the GPS data. The generated HTML does contain GPS fields, but with invalid data that did not come from my original photo.

I would like to encourage revisiting position mapping and with the added ability to map from albums posted on local servers. I think both would be much welcomed and much used.
jGromit

Posted: 11-Jan-2015 22:57   in response to: larryluckham in response to: larryluckham

larryluckham wrote:
I note a message that seems to advise that position mapping only works on "published" albums, which I take to mean those posted on Jalbum's site.

Can't answer for any of the other issues, but that statement generally indicates that a feature will work only when the album is viewed from a web server, rather than just locally on your PC. There's no album feature in any skin I can think of that requires that the album be hosted on jalbum.net.

There are a number of skins that include the ability to show Google maps, indicating where an image was taken. Not the same approach as the PositionMap skin, but maybe one of these will do what you want. See, for example:

http://jgromit.com/matrix/maps/ (note that you can show a different style of map for each image)

or:

http://jgromit.com/gromit/maps/

In each case, click on the globe icon in the caption of the slide image.

Turtle has a similar ability.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums