Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 06-May-2012 12:46 Last Post By: sanyaade
davidekholm

Right license for JAlbum source code
Posted: 15-Jan-2005 14:12
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have received many questions on opening the source for JAlbum. I'm generally not against this and have in fact inofficially (no web page) released all general parts of JAlbum under LGPL license, so you're free to use these general parts (the layout manager, tag parser, IO routines etc) in both commercial and non commercial applications without paying any royalties to me. The general source code is available at http://jalbum.net/download/general-jalbum-src.zip

However, the JAlbum specific source code (basically the code for the UI and album engine)is not open at the moment. I would however like to make this source code available too, but under another licensing than the general code. I will explain why: First, I don't aim to start charging for JAlbum in the future. It would be a stupid way of losing all the good-will that have been added to this name. However, I would like to be able to make a living out of JAlbum nevertheless. Just supporting JAlbum these days takes two hours every day and there soon isn't enough time to keep this as just a hobby and at the same time maintain a good support and development. One way of making a revenue from JAlbum could be to arrange a bundling deal with, say, a major camera manufacturer so that I get a couple of cents for each sold camera. If I released all source code under such a liberal license as LGPL, I would basically lose the ability to arrange such a deal. My goals with releasing the source code for JAlbum are two:
* Give advanced skin developers insight in the inner workings of JAlbum so they better understand it.
  • Enable people to make bug fixes to JAlbum that I am able to use without losing any rights to the core code.

I am currently not aware of what license that best fits these needs. Do you have any comments on this?
camner

Re: Right license for JAlbum source code
Posted: 15-Jan-2005 18:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I have absolutely no idea about the legalities of source code releases, but I want to support wholeheartedly the notion of having David retain enough rights so that he can receive some income from this project. I feel this not only because it will help David (which is fine!), but because it's probably the only way to keep JA growing over time, which benefits many.

Personally, if compromises need to be made, I would support a more restrictive license (for the sake of David at the expense of release to developers) if that's what it would take to preserve David's rights to earn some income from his fine work.
adavidson

Posted: 15-Jan-2005 18:40   in response to: camner in response to: camner
Personally, I think that this program is so good and so professionally designed and supported, I would be willing to pay a modest amount for it.

Certainly there is a large body of software out there in the market that is offered as shareware rather than freeware. I think JAlbum could certainly be converted to that basis in the future, allowing some revenue without alienating users. Obviously there are many ways this could be accomplished.

I would be happy to see someone who has put so much effort, time and thought into making a great product be compensated for his work.

.andy
josephgan

Posted: 16-Jan-2005 11:24   in response to: adavidson in response to: adavidson
David -- To be frank with you, I'm not sure if there is a solution to your problem.

The main reason is that, even in the current situation, all a camera manufacturer would need to do would be to link to this website to download JAlbum. They would not have violated your current license.

So, AFAIK, if you're going to continue to allow "normal" users to download and use your code freely, there isn't really a license you can use that will be effective.
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Jan-2005 16:45   in response to: josephgan in response to: josephgan
I understand your point, but bundling JAlbum with a camera has its advantages anyway. People get very easy access to JAlbum and the camera maker could even have some customized skins bundled with that distribution to set it apart from the main version one can get from the net.
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Jan-2005 23:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I have made the general source code "officially" available under LGPL license now, at the updated Developer page at http://jalbum.net/developer.jsp
josephgan

Posted: 20-Jan-2005 12:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I think what you basically want is a "Shared Source" model. This is pretty much what Microsoft and Sun are using.

The basic premise is this:

1) You publish the source code to either a group of developers (who need to register and be verified before they can join the programme), or to the public.

2) The source code states that it is being provided for development, academic and research use only, and commercial distribution is prohibited. In addition, any modifications made to the source code must be given back to you to consider for inclusion into the main project.

Objective of all this: you allow developers to look at the source code, but not redistribute it; you allow them to play around with the source code to try to improve it, but they have to send you the patches; you deny commercial redistribution (such as on a CD provided by a camera manufacturer).
davidekholm

Posted: 20-Jan-2005 13:44   in response to: josephgan in response to: josephgan
That looks pretty much like what I'm after. Thank you.
Dan Washusen
Posted: 23-Jan-2005 23:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Hi David,
You could try looking at dual licensing. The idea is, for private/non-profit use, the code can be distributed under (L)GPL but for commercial use they have to pay you royalties. Take a look at the MySql licensing (http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html).

You could also offer a customisation model, where a company would pay for tweaks to the app (look and feel changes, company branding, etc).

Anyway, awesome work. :)

Cheers,
Dan
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Jan-2005 06:14   in response to: Dan Washusen in response to: Dan Washusen
Thanks for your input. I'll check out the MySQL license too.
clanie

Posted: 21-Jun-2008 19:49   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
It's been a few years since anyone wrote something on this thread.
I think Jalbum is great, and I'd really like to see it released under a free license such as GPL/LGPL, BSD or Apache, and so I'd like to hear if anything has changed the last few years.
Did you manage to get an income from Jalbum?
Is there any chance the remaining parts will be released under a free license?

Best Wishes
Claus
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Jun-2008 20:20   in response to: clanie in response to: clanie
Hi. Not much has changed license-wise. I still have my long-term goal to release the core of Jalbum under a GPL v2 license. Before doing that I want to clean up the core. We keep many general parts of Jalbum available as source code on http://jalbum.net/developer and our new image tool section will be released as open source as soon as we're happy with the architecture.

We're not going plus yet but we receive money from donations (has picked up lately, thank you all donators), from our hosting service and some from ads too.
mksreddy

Posted: 12-Sep-2008 21:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
David,

I have been a user of JAlbum for close to 5 years and recommended this to several of my friends.
I do think JAlbum engine and its core will provide great value to java community and drive more innovation. For one of the projects I am hoping to provide JAlbum like view for non-photo content and JAlbum code would have been very helpful because I would love have customizable themes etc for the content I wanted to present.
As more innovation comes to this codebase I do not think being able to make money on Consulting/books should be an issue for you. I highly recommend open sourcing JAlbum.
Does anyone know of similar software that is open source?

Thanks,
Kumar.
MarkE

Posted: 13-Sep-2008 03:03   in response to: camner in response to: camner
camner wrote:
I have absolutely no idea about the legalities of source code releases, but I want to support wholeheartedly the notion of having David retain enough rights so that he can receive some income from this project. I feel this not only because it will help David (which is fine!), but because it's probably the only way to keep JA growing over time, which benefits many.

Personally, if compromises need to be made, I would support a more restrictive license (for the sake of David at the expense of release to developers) if that's what it would take to preserve David's rights to earn some income from his fine work.

I agree :)

I guess that by "David" we mean Team Sweden ....

Mark

ps, I didn't notice I was responding to an old post!!

Edited by: MarkE on 13-Sep-2008 02:05
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Sep-2008 09:11   in response to: mksreddy in response to: mksreddy
I will bring this up with my team members again. I'm generally positive to releasing all code for Jalbum under some open source license. There are some details to discuss, but I believe the MySQL people have come up with a good model for them. We will probably want to retain the right to charge commercial players for distribution rights to branded versions of Jalbum or for embedding Jalbum in a commercial service, but again, we have no intention to charge end users for the use of Jalbum, no matter if it is for private or corporate use. I'd have to investigate what license model suits these goals best.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums