This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09-Jul-2013 22:21 Last Post By: taylorjohnson Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
taylorjohnson

Photo website critique
Posted: 07-Jul-2013 18:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Website and photo critiquing would really be appreciated. Please look at the website and photos. Please be specific as possible. Thanks. http://www.taylorjohnson.ca and http://taylorjphoto.wordpress.com

Edited by: taylorjohnson on 07-Jul-2013 20:12
alan927

Re: Photo website critique
Posted: 08-Jul-2013 01:39   in response to: taylorjohnson in response to: taylorjohnson
Helpful
Welcome to the world of jAlbum and motorcycle racing photography! You've got a nice start there, but I do have a few suggestions.

First, the colors on the homepage should match the colors in the album itself so it doesn't seem like two completely different sites (even though they are).

Second, motion blur is key in any motorsports photography. On motorcycles you can achieve this in the wheel spokes, tire tread and background. With no motion blur everything appears "frozen", which is unnatural in a sport based on motion. To get better motion blur slow down your shutter speed (Tv mode on a Canon) as much as you can, and make sure your ISO is set to 100 to make the sensor less sensitive to the sun (assuming a sunny day). For me at a motocross event I try to get to 1/125s and ISO 100, but depending on conditions sometimes have to go to 1/160s. You'll obviously also need to follow the subject as he passes to keep registration on the subject while allowing the background to blur.

You have good motion blur in the first 5 or so photos of Justin Montgomery so try to do more of the same. :)

Feel free to browse my sites, all of which are 100% generated by jAlbum:
Alan927 Vintage Motocross
Alan927 Motorcycle Racing
Alan927 Automotive
Alan927 Photography

As I said you have a good start so keep going!

/Alan927
taylorjohnson

Posted: 08-Jul-2013 01:52   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

Wow thanks for the advice Alan927! I love all the photos and your websites, I have to say, they are all amazing photos, I wish I was as good as you! On my website I want it to seem like each album or event/genre are different, styles and colors, how can I incorporate all these color scemes into my website? Which website do you like better the google sites one or wordpress.

You have an amazing talent and I appreciate all of your feedback!!
taylorjohnson

Posted: 08-Jul-2013 01:58   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

Could you email me some more critiquing, to ****@taylorjohnson.ca

That would be much appreciated!!

Edited by: alan927 on 07-Jul-2013 20:35
Removed the e-mail address so the spammers don't get you! If I have anything else I know how to get a hold of you.
taylorjohnson

Posted: 08-Jul-2013 14:28   in response to: taylorjohnson in response to: taylorjohnson

Thanks for your help.
taylorjohnson

Posted: 09-Jul-2013 22:21   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

Could you answer my questions and critique me more.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums