This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 33 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 03-Dec-2013 14:03 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
GerardL

playing video on iphone/ipad ?
Posted: 02-Feb-2013 00:02

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Dear All,

I've tried many skins, many differents video format and nether I xas able to play a video when reading an uploaded album on my ┬ÁIhone...

Is there actually one playable set up (skin+video format) on Iphone/Ipad when this video is within an uploaded album ?

playing video is not a problem on pc's with flash, mov, mp4 ...
playing a mp4 or mov video as files on iphone is ok too ...

thanks a lot for any advice

Edited by: GerardL on 02-Feb-2013 00:02
AnCa

Re: playing video on iphone/ipad ?
Posted: 02-Feb-2013 00:13   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

Are you referring to playing video in the iOS app? We are working on an update of the iOS app that will play video in .mp4-format (H.264/AAC), that are part of an album. It will probably be released within a month.
jGromit

Posted: 02-Feb-2013 01:03   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

I don't have an iPad and can't really test it, but try the second thumbnail on this demo page, which is an MP4:

http://jgromit.com/matrix/videos/index.html

It won't be sized properly for an iPhone, so I'd be really surprised if it produced satisfactory results on that kind of tiny screen.

Edited by: jGromit - new link
AnCa

Posted: 02-Feb-2013 01:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

On an iPad your video plays nicely within the framed video window. On an iPhone the video plays in full screen. Looks very nice on both devices.
jGromit

Posted: 02-Feb-2013 01:27   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Thanks for checking. The iPhone results are surprising. There's no coding in there to detect it and do anything different, and as far as I know, JW Player doesn't have any way of accommodating it. In short, I have no idea what's happening there. :)

The video is being shown in an iframe within a Highslide expander. Maybe the iPhone is simply breaking out of the iframe....
GerardL

Posted: 02-Feb-2013 18:58   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

Dear EarlyOut & AnCa,

thanks for your answers !!

I'm using Iphone 4 & it's safari app to read http://jgromit.com/matrix/videos/index.html

the Youtube video works fine, portrait or landscape (full sized) -> ok
the mp4 video works fine, portrait or landscape (full sized) -> ok, I can see a little jwplayer bottom right at the beginning
the swf video doesn't work, it says "install the latest version of flash" -> ok understandable

the two pictures "Everest & external site" open normally -> ok

on my pc, all the videos play fine

Now, I knew that .mp4 videos were playable on my Iphone 4 (like .mov)

Actually, I'm not able to generate .mp4 videos from .mts files that are playable within a Jalbum/Matrix skin album ... perhaps I'm using bad parameters as codec ... I'm using 4videosoft mts converter which have a lot of parameters.

here is my album : http://jalbum.net/a/1303432 (use password : jalbum ) , the mp4 plays ok on my pc but not on my Iphone ....

What are the parameters of this "Wildlife" mp4 video you put on your site (codec, bitrate, resolution fps + audio) ?

many thanks for your help

Gerard

Edited by: GerardL on 02-Feb-2013 19:27

Edited by: jGromit - new link
jGromit

Posted: 02-Feb-2013 21:58   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

I use XMediaRecode to process my videos, but most of them are actually starting as MP4's, though much too large for web use.

Codec: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
Framerate: I just leave the original framerate alone
Bitrate: Average 750
Audio: AAC

My family videos are 1280x720, and I cut them down to 640x360. That preserves the quality despite the lower framerate, even if I end up displaying them in the album at something like 800x450.
GerardL

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 00:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Dear EarlyOut,

Could you send me your mp4 "wildlife" video to see if I can insert it in my album under Matrix skin and play it within my album on Iphone to determine what am I doing wrong ? is it a trans coding mistake or album generation one ...

at (email address removed)

or a smaller one if this one is to big ?

many thanks,

Gerard

Edited by: EarlyOut, to remove email address
jGromit

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 00:16   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

You can grab it directly from the demo site. Right-click on this link, and choose "Save link as..." (will vary, depending upon what browser you're using):

(link removed)

There's almost no album-generation error you could be making. You add the video to the album project, set the size of the frame (under Album > Settings > Matrix > Enlarged Images > Video & Pano, set the width and height to 800 and 450), and hit Make Album. There are no settings that effect the video itself - it's just plugged into the album, as is.

Edited by: jGromit on 03-Dec-2013 07:56
jGromit

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 00:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Just playing a hunch..... Save this linked video, which is a slight modification of yours, and see if it behaves better on the iPhone:

(link removed)

Edited by: jGromit on 03-Dec-2013 07:57
GerardL

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 10:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Dear EarlyOut,

We are progressing !

I've dowloaded your wildlide.mp4, insert it in my album, and am not able to play it on my Iphone
I've dowloaded my 00000FS.mp4 you modified , insert it in my album, and am not able to play it on my Iphone

but am able to play (on my Iphone) my modified video from (link removed) , this is the first time I can see my video on my Iphone .... but this is a direct link to the file, not an a Jalbum, right ? so I'm not sure that the modification you made is what let me play it on my iphone ...

so generating album with my set of parameters badly affect video playing ....

could you try to insert 00000FS.mp4 in a Jalbum/matrix and send me the link to see if I can still read it within a album ?

many many thanks

PS : I set the video&pano parameter as you said

jGromit

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 13:07   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

See what this does:

(link removed)

Your video, but with one small processing change. But I don't think that's the source of the problem....

I have another hunch, something I'd forgotten about. The jalbum.net server puts an improper file header on MP4 files when it serves them. The JW Player that's buried in Matrix used to choke on that, but the current version can finally handle that bad header. But maybe the iPhone's own player can't handle it. Let's see what happens with the same album, but served from jalbum.net, instead of from my own web host:

(link removed)

And then try accessing the video directly:

(link removed)

AnCa

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 13:09   in response to: GerardL in response to: GerardL

If you are referring to the album at http://gerardl.jalbum.net/Video%20test%20II/ you have two other things that differs from EarlyOut's album: Password protection and watching the album with the mobile skin.

The mobile skin does currently not support videos. It will soon though.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 13:16   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten about password protection. Take that off, and see if it makes a difference!
GerardL

Posted: 03-Feb-2013 17:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Dear EarlyOut & AnCa,

big progress for the Iphone !!

the three last links are played correctly on my Iphone, even the one in the Album !!

but they poorly work on my pc !! first link is ok, second link does not load at all (rotating bar in the middle) and the third one does not load completly either ..

I got FTTH internet connection at home so good bandwith ...I'm wifi connected with the Iphone.

what kind of magic little change did you do ??!

I've have downloaded the last GLTest_00000FS.mp4 file from your first link, add it to this album http://jalbum.net/a/1303432 which is not pwd protected now.

I tested it on my Iphone ....and it does not work ...grrr

so : you are able to generate a Jalbum/matrix with my video (little bit reprocessed you said) that I can read on my Iphone and I'm not .... ???!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums