Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Jan-2013 21:22 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Java security concerns
Posted: 11-Jan-2013 21:11
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
There have been a lot of articles lately about security problems with Java. The articles are often unclear about exactly where the danger lies. Java is the language in which jAlbum is written. But the Java that's installed on your PC or Mac, and that runs the jAlbum software, is not the source of the security problems. The problems involve using a Java plugin in your browser, which allows Java applets to run in the browser. This plugin might allow a malicious website owner to do nefarious things to your computer. The albums produced by jAlbum do not produce Java applets, and never require a Java plugin in your browser.

The articles also do not distinguish between Java and Javascript, which aren't the same thing. If you disable Javascript in your browser, many, many websites will not work correctly at all, so leave Javascript alone.

You can disable the Java plugin in your browser without affecting jAlbum at all, and you should probably do so unless you have a specific reason for allowing Java applets to run in your browser.

• In Chrome, enter chrome://plugins in the address bar. Scroll down and click disable for any Java entry you see in the list of plugins.
  • In Firefox, choose Tools, Add-ons, Plugins. Click disable for any Java entry you see in the list of plugins.
  • In Internet Explorer, choose Tools, Manage Add-ons. Click on any Java entry you see to select it, then click disable.
  • In Safari, choose Safari, Preferences. Go to the Security tab, and uncheck the Enable Java box.

Be careful about browser updates, Java updates, or JDK updates, which might re-enable the Java plugin(s).
waltbros

Re: Java security concerns
Posted: 11-Jan-2013 23:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Should I disable this one in IE10?
Name Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
Publisher Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Status Enabled
Architecture 32-bit and 64-bit
Load time 0.00 s
jGromit

Posted: 11-Jan-2013 23:40   in response to: waltbros in response to: waltbros
waltbros wrote:
Should I disable this one in IE10?
Name Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
Publisher Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Status Enabled
Architecture 32-bit and 64-bit
Load time 0.00 s

Yes, you're probably better off disabling that one. In short, it's unlikely that you need any Java-related plugins in your browser at all. None of them has anything to do with jAlbum, in any case.
rickscanvas

Posted: 16-Jan-2013 21:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I am using Firefox, and without Java script enabled my site will not work. I am using AlbumjAlbum 9 skin: FotoPlayer v4.1 ...

ComputerWeekly.com http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240077544/JavaScript-security-threat-to-Internet-Explorer-and-Firefox
Is stating that Java Script is a problem/threat. My main concern is if jalbum does not need it, and people do turn it off in their browser, like I have, and can't get it to work... I will be losing customers if it can't be seen . My site will not work without Java Script enabled in Firefox... so I am really confused as to why you say jalbum does not need it? Try my site ... let me know if you see it or not... no my site is not finished, I kinda let it go... but I am planning on bringing it up to speed, but now just wondering if I will be wasting my effort. Main page to check is the photo's page... try it for me Java script enabled & java script disabled. http://www.rickscanvas.com
I get this error when Java Script is disabled in my browser as the security warning suggests you do...
Please Enable Javascript in your browser and visit again.
Album was generated using jAlbum 9 skin: FotoPlayer v4.1 Album RSS Feed

So again, I am concerned that regardless of the threat I will lose people being able to view my site????

Thanks

Edited by: rickscanvas on 16-Jan-2013 21:06

Edited by: rickscanvas on 16-Jan-2013 21:15
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jan-2013 21:33   in response to: rickscanvas in response to: rickscanvas
Look at the date on that article. It's from 2006.

Javascript is not a problem. It's required for the proper operation of countless sites on the web, including banks, brokerages, and other security-conscious sites. Try turning off Javascript, then visit the sites you normally visit - I believe you'll find that all sorts of sites stop working.

To repeat, the current problem is with the Java browser plugin. The problem is not with Java itself, or with Javascript.

(Your bigger problem is that FotoPlayer requires Flash, and Flash is not available on devices like the iPad. Different subject entirely, of course.)
jGromit

Posted: 17-Jan-2013 13:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
The latest Java update (Version 7 Update 11) includes the abiity to disable the troublesome browser plugin in all browsers from the Windows Control Panel:

http://java.com/en/download/help/disable_browser.xml

I would use that, but double-check in the browser, following the instructions in the first post, above. Many people end up with multiple older versions of Java installed on a single machine, and older browser plugins might still be active.
marshov

Posted: 29-Jan-2013 20:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
As far as the functionality of JAlbum is concerned, is there any reason why I could not uninstall all versions of Java runtimes on my computer?

John Marsh
jGromit

Posted: 29-Jan-2013 21:22   in response to: marshov in response to: marshov
If you're running jAlbum under Windows, you could, in fact, remove all Java applications from your PC. jAlbum for Windows comes bundled with its own version of Java (and that one does not install any browser plugins, so it's completely safe).
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums