This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 3 Jan 19, 22:33 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
BMH666

Using jAlbum with Cloud services like Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive
Posted: 10 Oct 12, 06:19

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Can anyone let me know if it's possible to share a photo album created with jAlbum by uploading it to either Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive?
JeffTucker

Re: Using jAlbum with Cloud services like Google Drive or Microsoft Skydrive
Posted: 10 Oct 12, 12:21   in response to: BMH666 in response to: BMH666

An album created with jAlbum consists of just ordinary web pages - HTML, CSS, some image files, and so on. If you can take any web pages you've created and share them on those services, you can share an album.
BMH666

Posted: 11 Oct 12, 09:33   in response to: BMH666 in response to: BMH666

Thanks EarlyOut for replying. That's what I was hoping, but I can't get it to work. I created an Album on my PC which worked fine, and then uploaded the complete directory structure and all files to SkyDrive, but I can't work out how to access the "album" from there. I've tried entering the URL for the "index" file in a browser, but all this seems to do is open a SkyDrive page which shows an icon for the index file. If you then open the index file it takes you to a page with small icons for each of the photos in the album, but none of these link to the actual photos.

I can't see how to get the album to open normally. I'm not familiar enough with Java, HTML etc to know if this is even possible within SkyDrive, or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Any help or suggestions gratefully received.
jimberry

Posted: 11 Oct 12, 10:51   in response to: BMH666 in response to: BMH666

This is really a question for SkyDrive (the host) , not for jAlbum.
BMH666

Posted: 19 Oct 12, 00:26   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Just in case anyone else is interested in doing this, I've managed to get it working.

I used DropBox. I couldn't find any way to get it to work in SkyDrive or Goodle Drive.

I created a Public folder (using the steps to do this from the DropBox online help) and then when I copied the entire album folder into this and created a Public link to the Index file, it worked like a charm. I could'nt get it to work using the normal DropBox folders.

Using this method with DropBox gives you a free 2GB of online storage for albums created with jAlbum.
Freedan

Posted: 25 Apr 14, 23:17   in response to: BMH666 in response to: BMH666

BMH666,

Just wanted to quickly thank you for your helpful reply. Thanks to you, I can finally use my Jalbum software to its full potential again :)

Thanks!
  • Freedan

P.S. To build on what you said, I'd like to add some additional information:

There are two index files (index.css and index.html). You can find them by going to "My Albums" ~> "Album Name Here" ~> "Album". For anyone else interested in this method, the index.html file was what worked for me. The CSS file just displays code.
jimberry

Posted: 26 Apr 14, 00:58   in response to: Freedan in response to: Freedan

The CSS file just displays code.
The CSS file is not intended to display anything on its own. It is only a style sheet, containing information that the browser uses to style the HTML file e.g. fonts, colors, borders etcetera for various page elements.
jps292k

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 16:35   in response to: BMH666 in response to: BMH666

Does your method still work today, 2018/2019? Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 17:37   in response to: jps292k in response to: jps292k

Um, this person hasn't posted here in over 6 years, so your chances of getting a reply are just about zero.

To share an album with other people, you need a web host. You can host on jalbum.net, or on any other general-purpose web host.

Services like Dropbox are not web hosts. They're storage locations, designed to allow people to download files. They are not designed to allow people to view an album in a browser.
jps292k

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 21:41   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you for your prompt response. @jGromit
My friend told me that Google drive can host a personal website, I tried it, it doesn't work. I guess the reason is the following:

"Testing the Local album (Preview) does not work in some browsers with the default settings. This is because Tiger is based on a database (JSON format) to which the access from local HTML files is limited, due to security reasons. jAlbum's built-in browser works, however. If you want to use Chrome for testing local albums - as I do - you will have to circumvent this limitation by starting Chrome in lowered security mode. "

If this is the case, any site that host jAlbum is NOT secure at all. Do you agree?

Jim
jps292k

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 21:43   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Hi, jGromit,

Are a member of the jAlbum development team?

Jim
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 21:51   in response to: jps292k in response to: jps292k

No, just an unpaid, volunteer skin developer and forum moderator.
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 21:58   in response to: jps292k in response to: jps292k

jps292k wrote:
If this is the case, any site that host jAlbum is NOT secure at all. Do you agree?

No, there is nothing unsecure about a site hosted at jalbum.net. In fact, it's using secure connections these days (https). And because jalbum.net does not permit any server-side processing, it's considerably more secure than most web hosts. Server-side processing (PHP, for example) is the route that hackers use to break into a server. On jalbum.net, there's absolutely no way they can do that.

You have misunderstood that text. Chrome, for reasons known only to itself, regards a JSON file on your own PC as a security threat, so it blocks it. This makes local preview of a Tiger album impossible in Chrome. Chrome has no problem with that same file when it's being served by a web host, however. And other browsers have no problem with it, locally or from a server. Go figure. Tiger is affected by this because it uses JSON files as an essential component of the album (unlike most other skins).

But beyond that, the reason Google drive can't be used as a personal website is exactly what I posted above. Google drive is not a web host. It's a file storage service. This has nothing to do with the skin you're using. You couldn't even view an album made with the Minimal skin from Google drive, and that contains no fancy code at all - just plain vanilla HTML and CSS.
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 19, 22:33   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

And BTW, all albums produced by jAlbum are entirely client-side. In other words, they don't execute any code on the server. Ever. The only processing is Javascript, done within the browser. This means that jAlbum albums are exceptionally secure - they don't provide any avenue for a hacker.

Contrast this with something like Wordpress, which is a hacker's dream - it's all server-side, and loaded with security holes that have to be patched regularly.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums