This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 25-May-2012 18:18 Last Post By: PeterGibb Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
PeterGibb

Albums/Websites/IPads and IPhones....
Posted: 25-May-2012 07:19

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello

May I ask a question, maybe a silly one I guess, but.....

My pals at work use IPhones and IPads and my site, along all with
the albums is displayed and seems to work very well. Albeit with some scrolling being necessary.

Do websites need to be compiled as dedicated IPad/IPhone sites, or can these
things look at any site written in the normal sense... ?

I ask as I have been wondering whether I would need to re write my site for this platform, at the moment, its seems I don't...

Maybe!

Regards
Peter
AnCa

Re: Albums/Websites/IPads and IPhones....
Posted: 25-May-2012 10:29   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

The iPhones and iPads have full blown web browsers, so normal HTML-web sites look the same on these devices as on any other computer. But, they don't support Adobe Flash, so if a site uses Flash, those parts will just be empty, unless the site handles it specifically.

And also since the screens are smaller than normal computer screens, things will of course be smaller. And touch screen navigation instead of a mouse might not let you see things that you see when you are hovering over an object on the page.
jGromit

Posted: 25-May-2012 13:11   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

AnCa wrote:
The iPhones and iPads have full blown web browsers, so normal HTML-web sites look the same on these devices as on any other computer.

Well, almost. The browsers, it seems, aren't quite standards-compliant, so small things can turn out differently.

Sites that rely heavily on Javascript are also problematic, as there are some known problems with the way these devices do things like reporting their own "window" sizes. And there can be some strange results when the visitor uses some of the "iThings," like the two-finger expansion, on a page that's using Javascript to control the image size. In effect, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing - there are two routines trying to alter the appearance of the same object.

The small display size can also create havoc with things like control bar targets that are fairly small to begin with. A fat-fingered user can have trouble navigating reliably ("No, I wanted the 'next' button, not the 'close' button!).
PeterGibb

Posted: 25-May-2012 18:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thankyou for that information, very interesting, my website is as basic as it gets, so
I guess a bit of a bonus in a sense....

Peter
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums