This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 54 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] - Last Post: 30-May-2012 15:32 Last Post By: sarahschoelzel Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: Filters like in Instagram
Posted: 18-May-2012 18:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
Just avoid names that can throw us into copyright issues.

I've always been a bit uneasy with the Mr. Burns skin, for that reason.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-May-2012 18:09   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

Key question, are these filters for a SINGLE image or every image in an album

Either will work.

Second key question, are these 'good' (descriptive?) names for the filters

That can be added

Third question, are these 'filters' to be incorporated into jAlbum or individual skins

Yes, when they have been "polished", the idea is to incorporate them inside jAlbum so that individual skins can use them, but skins can include them already by simply putting that .jar file inside the skin's "lib" folder.

Fourth question, who in the jAlbum user group is going to use them
?

Fifth question, is there some other 'tool' a user might prefer first
I don't know. I think these are pretty unique in the jAlbum world.
jimberry

Posted: 19-May-2012 01:17   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Your suggestions for better names are welcome. Just avoid names that can throw us into copyright issues.
I don't think "better names" will be enough. I suspect that names that are sufficiently descriptive will be rather too long.
- Maybe instead of using the "User variables" tab to specify a filter, there could be a "Filters" tab with a radiobutton or checkbox with a descriptive label?

When those filters are available in the edit panel, then you will be able to play with them quickly to evaluate the result.

Will that work for "global" use or only for individual images? Will there be a similar alternative for application to all images, instead of relying on "User variables?
davidekholm

Posted: 19-May-2012 18:03   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

When those filters are available in the edit panel, then you will be able to play with them quickly to evaluate the result.
Will that work for "global" use or only for individual images? Will there be a similar alternative for application to all images, instead of relying on "User variables?

The idea is to see a user interface for these filters within some skins, then it will be intuitive to apply the filters to all images. I think these are the type of filters you wish to apply to all or none. You should naturally not have to rely on user variables.

There may also be a "filters" settings tab in jAlbum where users can apply these types of batch oriented filters using a user interface. I've been thinking of having such a user interface for years.
RobM

Posted: 19-May-2012 21:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Would it be possible to allow control of the filter engine, making the existing filters presets?
It may lead to people making and sharing 'presets', although some would be similar it might make it more interesting.
jimberry

Posted: 20-May-2012 00:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment what_filter.xls (7.5 KB)
Here is a spreadsheet (lifted from TheAtlantic) with descriptions of the effect and suggestions for use, for some of the Instagram filters that FlowerFilters was based on.

Perhaps Sarah can fill in the missing bits that I couldn't find?
(and maybe improve on what is already there, or rephrase to avoid the charge of plagiarism)
jimberry

Posted: 20-May-2012 18:04   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
There may also be a "filters" settings tab in jAlbum where users can apply these types of batch oriented filters using a user interface. I've been thinking of having such a user interface for years.
It might be useful to have that tab available for folders as well as images, so that users could choose to apply each filter
- per album (root Image directory)
- per sub folder
- per image
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 23-May-2012 15:24   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Thanks, jimberry. I will try to describe it as good as I can.
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 23-May-2012 15:26   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

I'm working at the moment at plugin, so that it will show up in the filter tools ui.
I will post it if it works fine.

Thanks for the nice sample albums.
/Sarah
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 30-May-2012 15:32   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Finally, I wrote a blog post about the ArtyFilter( renamed from FlowerFilter):
http://jalbum.net/blog/entry/artyfilter-tool/

There you can also download the tool.

/Sarah
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums