This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-May-2012 16:07 Last Post By: drmikey Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Dschuwi

Swipe support
Posted: 06-May-2012 13:10

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Any ideas on how to implement simple swipe support to change html pages?

I would like to detect left and right swipes on mobile devices, they should behave just af if I had clicked on the previous or next buttons.

It is essential though that the skin must not rely on JavaScript enabled, so without JavaScript it should behave just normal (without swipe support though, obviously).

I found a jQuery jSwipe plugin, but have not gotten very far. To make matters worse I don't know much about JavaScript, either...

I have googled a lot, but it does not seem to be an easy task :-(

cheers
hp
drmikey

Re: Swipe support
Posted: 06-May-2012 17:19   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

I'm not sure how you can possibly have a Jquery plugin for swipe events and a skin that does not rely on javascript enabled.
I'm curious as to why you need to not have javascript enabled since in this day and age, I can't imagine anyone on a desktop/laptop/ iPhone/Android that does not have javascript enabled in their browser.
Dschuwi

Posted: 06-May-2012 17:39   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

Well, have a look here, generated with the current Classic Aligned 2 beta:

http://www.hpb.at/galleries/cats/slides/slideshow_Cats_001.html

It uses jQuery for the slideshow transitions, however, when you turn off JavaScript in the browser, the slideshow falls back to its default behavior.
alan927

Posted: 07-May-2012 01:26   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

drmikey wrote:
I'm curious as to why you need to not have javascript enabled since in this day and age, I can't imagine anyone on a desktop/laptop/ iPhone/Android that does not have javascript enabled in their browser.
Actually, a lot of people disable JavaScript using NoScript, which greatly enhances the browser's security. It's not available for phone-based browsers, though, so it shouldn't interfere with swiping on phones. :0
drmikey

Posted: 07-May-2012 02:02   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927

Not sure how this is actually "disabling javascript" , in that it allows it to still run:
Quoting the link you provided:
this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).

I would not want people to think a page made by one of Jalbums skins was not a trusted site! ;-)

My point is is that I don't think most people actually disable javascript in their browsers and most developers don't develop web pages without it in mind. Fine of course if anyone wants to disable it. A personal choice!

FYI according to this old link , 2.06 percent of users in the US have JS disabled according to YDN (Yahoo Developer Network).
Dschuwi

Posted: 07-May-2012 12:34   in response to: drmikey in response to: drmikey

I'm afraid we are drifting off topic.
I am aware that we need JavaScript and/or jQuery for swipe support.

It seems to be such a simple task: Detect a swipe (left/right) and use JavaScript to load jAlbum's $nextPage or $previousPage accordingly.

But all I found is complete gallery scripts, or stuff like loading images into an array and injecting them into the currently displayed HTML page or so....
jGromit

Posted: 07-May-2012 12:44   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

davidekholm

Posted: 07-May-2012 15:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The latest version of Turtle has Swipe support: http://laza.jalbum.net/Panoramic%20album/
drmikey

Posted: 07-May-2012 16:07   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi

Here is another

http://labs.skinkers.com/touchSwipe/
(download link on this page is broken)

Download Link
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer