This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-May-2012 14:59 Last Post By: davidekholm
sarahschoelzel

new plugin - histogram
Posted: 25-Apr-2012 10:08

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment Histogram.jaext (40.6 KB)
Hi,
did you always miss a histogram like in photoshop for processing photos?
Here it is, just download the attached file and try it!
To install it, simply double-click the file and restart jAlbum.

I'm currently doing an internship at jAlbum and the histogram is the first plugin that I wrote.
I'm looking forward to getting feedback and suggestions from you.

Regards,
Sarah

Note: This plugin requires jAlbum version 10.6.
davidekholm

Re: new plugin - histogram
Posted: 25-Apr-2012 12:05   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Yes, I'm as eager as Sarah to hear what you think of this addition to jAlbum. Let us know!
jGromit

Posted: 25-Apr-2012 12:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I had no idea you could make a tool "detachable" like that!

(To see what I mean, open an image for editing, click the Histogram tab, then click and drag the histogram itself off the frame. Very neat.)
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 25-Apr-2012 12:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I don't know if you also noticed that you can do a double-click or rightclick at the histogram. Then the new window is located at a default location. :)
willi2stein

Posted: 26-Apr-2012 21:39   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

helpful plugin to improve my photos. first test was fine.
mrag

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 02:52   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Seems to work fine. Very sharp looking add on. Does it just show me a graph or can I change something like slide the red to the right and the green to the left with a resultant change to the image?

Are you only working in tools or are you taking other suggestions ;-) If so, I have a pet filter request at
http://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=234374&#234374
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 15:36   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

The histogram just shows you the distribution of pixels of your photo. But if you use e.g. the gamma or levels tool you can do changes to your image and you can see these in the histogram.
For exmaple, if you move the brightness-slider to the right you can see how more and more pixels are getting brighter (bars in the histogram are moving to the right). The same thing you can do with red-gamma-slider and so on.

I'm going to blog about the histogram and how you can use it to improve your images.

During my internship we will try to do improvments to the existing tools. So I have your suggestions in my mind now. :)
sarahschoelzel

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 16:22   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Attachment Histogram.jaext (69.2 KB)
Here is improved version of the histogram plugin.
I fixed the bug that the default location of the window could be outside of your screen.
I added a setting window which allows you to set your preferred style.

Regards,
Sarah
jGromit

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 16:34   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

sarahschoelzel wrote:
During my internship we will try to do improvments to the existing tools.

I've never been a big user of the image editing tools (I generally do my fiddling in Picasa, before ever bringing the images into jAlbum), but one of the tools that I think could use some attention is the sharpening tool. There's no user adjustment possible, which I think is a fatal flaw.

On the other hand, it's never been really clear how that tool interacts with the "sharpen" setting under Album > Settings > Images. When you're looking at the results of sharpening with the tool, you're not really seeing what the final "in the album" image is going to look like. All very murky....
davidekholm

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 17:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, it's not interacting at all with the general sharpening tool under Album settings->Images. It's made for individual image sharpening. I agree the setting should be variable though. Perhaps something Sarah can help us with.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 17:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I should probably rephrase it. The confusion is that you can sharpen with that tool, but then also sharpen when scaling. Tough to predict the result!
mrag

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 19:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Years ago David used a picture of a 'sailboat' with rigging lines in a sample album. jAlbum had as I recall different settings than now and one could smooth out the jagged lines that could appear when using that image.

I played a little with scaling and sharpening last year
http://mrag.jalbum.net/SharpTest/

Surprising there have not been a lot of concerns raised on the forum. I assume no one ever uses 'fast' scaling.
willi2stein

Posted: 27-Apr-2012 21:01   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Many thanks for the update. now it works fine and the new features are very helpfull.
RobM

Posted: 05-May-2012 00:46   in response to: sarahschoelzel in response to: sarahschoelzel

Hi Sarah.
The plug-in works great. I am just curious to know if the plug-in is 'fixed' or can it be smart?
What I mean is, a histogram is great for images, but not of use on template pages. So, my question is: can the histogram be left out if the object is a page template?

Better still, can you make the other Tabs detachable? For me, the Variables Tab being detachable would be very useful as I would not have to keep selecting it when moving between folders (it only stays selected when moving between images within a folder).

I'm an engineer by training, so I'm always looking for the easiest solution ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 07-May-2012 14:59   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
Hi Sarah.
The plug-in works great. I am just curious to know if the plug-in is 'fixed' or can it be smart?
What I mean is, a histogram is great for images, but not of use on template pages. So, my question is: can the histogram be left out if the object is a page template?

But it is, the histogram is then covered with a white chequered pattern.

Better still, can you make the other Tabs detachable? For me, the Variables Tab being detachable would be very useful as I would not have to keep selecting it when moving between folders (it only stays selected when moving between images within a folder).

I'm an engineer by training, so I'm always looking for the easiest solution ;)

Good idea. I'll look into if we can make all tabs detachable for the future.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums