This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14-Sep-2017 14:11 Last Post By: rsobotka Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
FEWSFOTS

Another 'links' question....
Posted: 07-Aug-2011 21:04

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I'm using the wonderful Matrix skin and like the provision of boxes for external links, is there a way of having more (alot more!) than just the three provided ??....What I'm trying to achieve with only basic computer skills is a 'links' album (or page) where fellow photographers & external sites can be grouped together rather than just three here and there in different albums.

Regards
MF
jGromit

Re: Another 'links' question....
Posted: 07-Aug-2011 21:27   in response to: FEWSFOTS in response to: FEWSFOTS
Helpful
Must be something in the air this week....

Rather than trying to load up one image's caption with a bunch of buttons (not really practical), I think what you want is a page of thumbnails, each of which is actually a link to some other website. Matrix has this capability built in already.

Play with it... Create a new album project, and put a few images into it. Now, hover on the first thumbnail and choose Edit. On the lower right, click the Matrix tab, then "Click for Image or Folder Settings." Go to the Thumbnail Link tab, and enter a target URL, like http://cnn.com. Do that for each of the images, each with its own target URL, then make the album.

(See the manual: http://matrix.earlyout.org/manual/#matrix_custui_thumbnail-link)

You could, of course, create such a page as just one folder within a larger album, most of which is regular Matrix (click a thumbnail, get an expander), or you could have just some thumbnails on a page behave this way.

By the way, fhe main page of the Matrix demo site is built this way. It's actually not the top level of a multi-level album - it's just a one-page album that links to other places. Most of those "other places" happen to be subdirectories of the demo site, but not all - for example, the jAlbum link at lower right.

Edited by: EarlyOut - can't tell my right from my left.
FEWSFOTS

Posted: 07-Aug-2011 23:30   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Many thanks for the quick reply.......I'll have another play with it.

MF
rsobotka

Posted: 12-Sep-2017 23:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Is there a way to add additional external links in the navigation bar? I'm not interested in making any of the thumbnails a link. Just want to add a couple more external links in the links tab under navigation in addition to the 3 already provided.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Sep-2017 00:10   in response to: rsobotka in response to: rsobotka

rsobotka wrote:
Is there a way to add additional external links in the navigation bar?

Not without doing some extensive hacking of the skin coding, and adding your own user variables to drive it.

That's not really a "navigation bar" - it's intended to be a breadcrumb trail, so that in an album with multiple levels of folders, the visitor can tell where he is, and can jump to a higher level without going up through all the intervening levels. Even adding the three external links to it sort of violates the underlying idea.

If you need that much external navigation, you'd be better off providing your own navigation menu at the top, and adding the code for it on the Code tab of the skin - CSS and HTML Body Opening, and maybe HTML Head Section, if it's Javascript-driven.
rsobotka

Posted: 14-Sep-2017 14:11   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Gotcha. Thanks for the response.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums