This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Jun-2013 10:40 Last Post By: calun Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
calun

Problems/Questions on iPad
Posted: 01-Jan-2011 17:44

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi

Just installed jalbum on my friends iPad, it works great!

However I have a few problems/questions:

1. I have three albums in my PC app in jalbum, but can only see one of them on the iPad!?
2. How do my friends see my albums on the iPad, I can't find them!? (I can only see them if I log in).

Thanks

Carsten
jGromit

Re: Problems/Questions on iPad
Posted: 01-Jan-2011 17:54   in response to: calun in response to: calun

When I go to your profile page (http://calun.jalbum.net), I see only one album (and as a moderator, I can normally see even hidden albums). Where have you uploaded the other two albums?
calun

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 17:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the fast reply!

I've posted them all on my own domain/webservers, but I see the one that's in jalbum on the iPad is sort of linked to my account!?

Do I have to do that with the others too?

How can I hide them so no one else than my friends can see them in their jalbum iPad app!?

Thanks.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 18:02   in response to: calun in response to: calun

From your profile page, go to Detailed View, then choose Add an External Album.

But if you "hide" an album on your profile page, only you can see it listed, and only other people to whom you've given a direct URL will be able to find it. If you want it to show up on the iPad app, I don't think you can hide it.
calun

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 18:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

See, that was exactly what I was worried about :-).

I love jalbum, but we need some password protection added to the albums, so itøs possible to decide who can see them and who can't.

Wouldn't it be possible to add security, so that only other users of my choosing can see my albums!?

Thanks.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 18:39   in response to: calun in response to: calun

You can password protect any album that's actually hosted on jalbum.net (from the profile page, choose Edit, then Privacy Options).

But if the album is hosted elsewhere, you can password-protect it only if your web host gives you that capability - the album can't do anything about it. If you "list" that album on your profile page, it will appear as a regular thumbnail (no padlock symbol), but anyone trying to visit the album will be prompted for the password. Again, this is controlled entirely by your web host, not by Jalbum. The password-protection would be applied to the directory in which the album resides on the server, and it's the server operating system that would control access to it.

I'm not familiar with the iPad, but instead of using a special app, can't users just enter the URL for one of your albums, and view it? As long as you're not using a Flash skin, that should work. They're just viewing the album with the Safari browser, like so many other Mac users.
AnCa

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 18:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I can add that the api that the iPad/iOS-app is using only supports password protected albums that are hosted on jalbum.net. If you password protect an external album you will get an error if you try to access it using the iOS app.

When I now come to think of it, you might also encounter problems when password protecting an external album and viewing it using the Safari browser on iPad/iPhone using a link from your jalbum.net homepage. But accessing the external URL directly should work fine.
calun

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 23:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

OK, I get that!

The jalbum is great, since it shows all photos like it was photos stored locally on the iPad and in full screen. The Safari browser resizes constantly and can't show full size images. I'm very impressed with whomever made th jalbum iPad app.!
calun

Posted: 01-Jan-2011 23:14   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

If I understand you correct, you'll change the iPad app. so only albums stored on jalbum.net can be shown!?

Please don't do that, my album is bigger than can be on jalbum.net and I like to have ot on my own domain.

But if you could make a feature, so only people given access by the album author can see the albums on the iPad, it would be great!? (I'm aware that they will still be able to see them on the direct link, but this way I can hide them from all other jalbum users).

Thanks.
AnCa

Posted: 02-Jan-2011 03:03   in response to: calun in response to: calun
Helpful
calun wrote:
If I understand you correct, you'll change the iPad app. so only albums stored on jalbum.net can be shown!?
No, if the album is visible on your jalbum.net-homepage and isn't protected you should be able to watch the album with the iPad-app, no matter where the actual album is stored. (At least as long as you generate an RSS-feed for the album, which is done by default.)
It's only password protected external albums that can't be shown. That will probably never work.

But if you could make a feature, so only people given access by the album author can see the albums on the iPad, it would be great!?
If you "like" an album when it's visible you can still access it even if it later becomes hidden by the album owner. This will probably not help you though, unless you shortly can make you albums visible while telling you friends to "like" them, and then hide them again...

The Group function on the website should sort of solve this, but Groups haven't been implemented for the iOS-app.
AnCa

Posted: 02-Jan-2011 03:44   in response to: calun in response to: calun

calun wrote:
I'm very impressed with whomever made th jalbum iPad app.!
For the iOS programming Daniel Plamann made version 1.0 to 1.2 (all the basic iPhone functionality, and started the iPad adaptation) and Heiko Reppenhagen have continued the development with version 1.3 (finished iPad version) and 1.4 (newsfeed and some other stuff).
calun

Posted: 19-Jun-2013 10:40   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Hi

I remember someone mentioning a new version of the iPad app coming out soon, but this is months ago, is something happening with this!?

Thanks
Carsten
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums