This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 03-Jun-2011 20:45 Last Post By: hmadelin Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
theburketts

Subfolders on the iPhone App?
Posted: 23-Jul-2010 15:46

Click to reply to this thread Reply
First, let me say thank you, for jalbum and the iPhone app. I rarely if ever take the time to post in forums, but find your program and app so useful and close to ideal that I felt the need to post.

With that said, is there any plan to add folders to the iPhone app? I have several albums that are rather large in size (> 500 images) and it would be great if they showed up, like they do on my web site, in nested folders. Instead it seems that all nested folders are "flattened" when you view an album on the iphone app.

Some may prefer to view it as is, so maybe have the option to view albums flat or nested? Either way, great job with the program and app. Keep it coming!

Thanks,
Mike
AnCa

Re: Subfolders on the iPhone App?
Posted: 23-Jul-2010 16:21   in response to: theburketts in response to: theburketts

Great that you like the iPhone app! :-)

Yes, we are planning on implementing "true" folder support in the next major update in about a month. This flat view was just a quick solution to make folders visible at all, but it's not working good with very large albums.

You won't be able to create folders on your iPhone, but you will see and navigate using the folders you have created for your albums with the Jalbum desktop application. We will probably not make the folder view optional, but instead always show the album as the creator intended.

(There is an update of the app coming within the next few days, but that won't have the folder view.)
theburketts

Posted: 23-Jul-2010 16:30   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Excellent! Glad to hear that!
sterno

Posted: 30-Mar-2011 22:58   in response to: theburketts in response to: theburketts

Hello, I like the iPhone App, very good job, but like Mike I need the Subfolders on it.

Any news about this ?

Thank you in advance

Stefano
AnCa

Posted: 31-Mar-2011 11:34   in response to: sterno in response to: sterno

The iOS app supports viewing of albums with folders since probably six months. But you must create those albums using the jAlbum desktop application. In our online web album creator and iOS app you can't create folders and we have no plans on implementing that.
sterno

Posted: 31-Mar-2011 15:44   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Probably I'm in wrong but I've create all my albums using the desktop application and upload it all on Jalbum online. So from Iphone (IOS 4.3.1) I cannot see the folders. For example under sterno (my username) you can see album Kappenabzeichen and it is only with folders, on a desktop it is possible to see all folders and from the Iphone app I cannot see the folders.
Do you have an example album where I can see the folders on the Iphone app ?
Where is my mistake ?

Thanks in advance, Stefano.
sterno

Posted: 05-Apr-2011 10:58   in response to: sterno in response to: sterno

Really I've tried all...I've seen some album with folder on Iphone App, some using Simplicity skin, some use Bananaalbum skin, some use Turtle skin. Really is not clear where is my error, I've try all parameters, but no folders on my Iphone app :(

http://sterno.jalbum.net/Test%20Folder/

Please any help on this ? Thanks
AnCa

Posted: 05-Apr-2011 11:15   in response to: sterno in response to: sterno

There is no album.rss-file in that album. If you try to access the album.rss a virtual album.rss is generated. This virtual file can't handle folders. It looks at the images on disk and generate one, but since all sorts of folders are on disk it doesn't try to be clever and figure out which ones are album-folders, so it simply skips all folders.

You enable the album.rss file at Album Settings->Advanced->Metadata->Generate Media RSS feed.
sterno

Posted: 05-Apr-2011 20:38   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Really thank you for the help AnCa !
Sorry for my poor knowledge on it and thank you again for the courtesy, now it is fine !
Regards
AnCa

Posted: 06-Apr-2011 13:23   in response to: sterno in response to: sterno

That's great. :)
It's difficult to know that the Media RSS feed settings affects the iPhone app, so I understand your confusion. :)
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 10-Apr-2011 22:58   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

Thnaks Anca; This answers my post on another one in this forum.
I just realized that for whatever reason some times the rss was ticked others none and having done it I can see all my albums on my iPhone.
Great and congratulations for your wonderful job!
Christian
AnCa

Posted: 11-Apr-2011 10:16   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

Some of the skins used to switch this off, so that's maybe why some of your projects had this off.
hmadelin

Posted: 03-Jun-2011 20:45   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

"It's difficult to know that the Media RSS feed settings affects the iPhone app"

How true - before I stumbled on this the iPhone app seemed fairly useless, so thanks for the info
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums