Home » jAlbum forums » Feature requests

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 48 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 16-Feb-2012 16:55 Last Post By: kaya Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Re: Thumbnails in PNG format
Posted: 06-Jan-2012 22:51   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
How are those GIFs looking in jAlbum 10.3.1 then?

I'll need to reinstall it and do some experimenting (I trust your betas so much, I don't keep the released versions kicking around when I install a beta).
jGromit

Posted: 06-Jan-2012 23:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

OK, here's the rundown on the 10.3.1 results with the same images:

Transparent PNGs produce images with solid black backgrounds, rather than transparent (pretty much as expected). The transparent GIF produces an image with a solid white background. The regular GIF looks normal (conversion to a JPG doesn't really change it).

Tint filter: produces the same error with GIFs (won't process them at all), and the same color shift with PNGs. So, no change from 10.4b1.

Logo filter: OK with all images, including non-transparent GIF - better than 10.4b1.

Watermark filter: OK with all images, including non-transparent GIF - better than 10.4b1.

Blur filter: OK with all images, including non-transparent GIF - better than 10.4b1.

XBorderFilter: as expected, it treats the images as normal JPGs, with a drop-shadow around the edge. Since the image is not transparent, the drop-shadow works as designed.

So, jAlbum 10.4b1 has problems with non-transparent GIFs that 10.3.1 didn't have. I think my recommendation would be to confine the new image handling to PNGs, and let jAlbum convert GIFs to JPGs, the way it used to. That leaves transparent GIFs out in the cold, but it's my understanding that the GIF format is dying, anyway.

And neither approach is going to take care of animated GIFs - I guess that's always going to need a manual substitution in the finished album.
jimberry

Posted: 07-Jan-2012 14:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

EarlyOut wrote:
XBorderFilter can still do some things that there's no good way of doing in CSS3 yet. The semi-transparent inset borders come to mind. Multi-color frames in CSS require a bunch of pseudo-elements - I haven't played with them, but it looks really klunky. And doing brackets is pretty dicey.
Brackets shouldn't be any more difficult than any other frame.
See this, for example

(sigh) Except for IE, of course.

Edited by: jimberry on 08-Jan-2012 00:49
jGromit

Posted: 07-Jan-2012 14:58   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
Brackets shouldn't be any more difficult than any other frame.

I was hoping you'd chime in on this subject - you have more CSS experience than I do. In fact, it was one of your comments relating to CSS3 box-shadows that got me headed down the path I'm on for Matrix 7.

In this case, I was thinking about whether you could do brackets without using an external image or not. That's the virtue of XBorderFilter - you can just specify location and color, without having to cough up an image file to use for the borders.

But I'll bet there's some evil genius out there who's figured out a way to do it without an image file. It probably doesn't require more than half-a-dozen pseudo-elements and nested div's.
jimberry

Posted: 07-Jan-2012 15:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I have to admit I did use a PNG image for the brackets.
I haven't tried, but I was wondering whether you could finagle the "round corners" trick but probably not - I don't think you can have the corners without the sides being the same color :-(
jimberry

Posted: 07-Jan-2012 15:53   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I just found

http://www.cssjuice.com/25-rounded-corners-techniques-with-css/
which links to
http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/css/css-round-corners-borders.shtml

which gives this recipe

The HTML to achieve this effect is:
<div class="bl"><div class="br"><div class="tl"><div class="tr">
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipisicing elit
</div></div></div></div>

And the CSS that makes it all happen:

.bl {background: url(bl.gif) 0 100% no-repeat}
.br {background: url(br.gif) 100% 100% no-repeat}
.tl {background: url(tl.gif) 0 0 no-repeat}
.tr {background: url(tr.gif) 100% 0 no-repeat; padding:10px}

I haven't had time to test this, but thought you might like to beat me to it ;-)

Edited by: jimberry on 08-Jan-2012 01:54
OOPS!! That one is no better than mine, it uses FOUR gifs and FOUR nested divs!!!!!!!!!

Edited by: jimberry on 08-Jan-2012 02:11
jGromit

Posted: 07-Jan-2012 16:23   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
OOPS!! That one is no better than mine, it uses FOUR gifs and FOUR nested divs!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind wrestling with nested div's, but any solution that relies on image files is off the table, for me. Remember, I'm the guy with the "absolutely any colors" skins, in which maintaining several million color GIFs or PNGs is not exactly a workable solution. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Jan-2012 15:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

It seems like EarlyOut was able to catch a whole set of bugs with translucent images, applying filters and jAlbum 10.4b1, furthermore you found bugs when applying some filters to GIF images too. I've therefore rewritten stuff again (the album engine and most filters, but left XBorderFilter untouched), so please try again.

Now I don't get color shifts on your sample GIF and it doesn't bail out on that GIF either. Furthermore transparency / translucency seems to be preserved correctly when applying filters. Finally, the changes made seem to make jAlbum process images faster too. Do you notice that too? (from 1 minute to 43 seconds with a sample album and "medium" scaling). Don't ask me why ;-)
jGromit

Posted: 09-Jan-2012 16:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Looking very, very good. I ran through all of the filters, and everything seems to be behaving itself - no error messages (I checked the console, too), and no unexpected color shifts. It also handles the transparent GIF correctly (the Paypal donate button I attached, above), without shifting its background to black.

(BTW, that bluegreen.gif file is a wonderful illusion. See the blue and green spiral bands? Guess what - they're both exactly the same color, #00ff96.)
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Jan-2012 18:07   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, it's a cool illusion indeed. Great that you couldn't break stuff this time :-)
Too bad we haven't heard from the original poster though.

Edited by: davidekholm on 09-Jan-2012 18:08
jGromit

Posted: 09-Jan-2012 18:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Great that you couldn't break stuff this time :-)

Just give me a little more time.... ;)
rawimage

Posted: 30-Jan-2012 20:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi David,

it seems jAlbum can't write back the keywords to the png.
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Jan-2012 22:10   in response to: rawimage in response to: rawimage

That's probably true. I don't know if png supports the embedding of xmp metadata.
monkeyboy

Posted: 30-Jan-2012 22:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

This XMP Specification document suggests that embedding XMP metadata in PNG files is possible (see page 97).
However, how easy (or rather difficult) it would be to implement this within jAlbum using Java I have no idea!
davidekholm

Posted: 31-Jan-2012 11:10   in response to: monkeyboy in response to: monkeyboy

It's not that easy I'm afraid. The library we're using (Apache Sanselan) states it supports embedding xmp into png files, but I cannot figure out how. The ordinary routine we use to update xmp blocks only supports JPEG files and the PNG writer of Apache Sanselan does not take an xmp block as parameter.

Further to that, reading http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000153.shtml hints that the spec for how to embed xmp in png files aren't fully tight.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums