Home » jAlbum forums » Feature requests

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 48 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 16-Feb-2012 16:55 Last Post By: kaya Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bdkennedy1

Thumbnails in PNG format
Posted: 10-Jan-2010 00:10

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Can you please add an option to output thumbnail creation in PNG format so I can have transparent backgrounds please?

Thanks!
TomCee

Re: Thumbnails in PNG format
Posted: 10-Jan-2010 10:47   in response to: bdkennedy1 in response to: bdkennedy1

Than that should be for your slides too, I suppose??
bdkennedy1

Posted: 10-Jan-2010 20:47   in response to: TomCee in response to: TomCee

My files are already in PNG format, but when building an album, the thumbnails are only jpg's.
jGromit

Posted: 10-Jan-2010 20:56   in response to: bdkennedy1 in response to: bdkennedy1
Helpful
bdkennedy1 wrote:
My files are already in PNG format, but when building an album, the thumbnails are only jpg's.

For anyone who's confused by this, I'm guessing that bdkennedy1 is choosing "Link to originals." In that case, Jalbum simply copies the original files without touching them. But the thumbnails still need to be scaled, and that's where the conversion to JPG occurs (happens with GIF originals, too).
davidekholm

Posted: 10-Jan-2010 21:16   in response to: bdkennedy1 in response to: bdkennedy1
Helpful
I'd like to support this in Jalbum, but cannot promise when. Writing PNGs shoudn't be hard in itself, but I want to rewrite some core stuff in Jalbum before going for this.

It is possible for a skin writer to add PNG write support to his skin, but he'd have to manually call ImageIO.write() to write the PNGs and take care of linking correctly to files ending in .png instead of .jpg.
bdkennedy1

Posted: 11-Jan-2010 21:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thank you!

Yes I am linking to the originals files.
rawimage

Posted: 04-Jan-2012 17:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

How about this feature? I'm so desperately waiting for this. I have a gallery that contains big thumbs which are round. http://mycaps.rawimage.de The skin writer said this feature should be included by jalbum and not by the skin, so you're my only hope...
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2012 17:11   in response to: rawimage in response to: rawimage

Attachment mycaps.jpg (102,6 KB)
Can't help with the PNG issue, but you really need to look at your home page in Firefox 9 - the thumbnails are not visible at all. (Screenshot attached.)
davidekholm

Posted: 04-Jan-2012 17:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Sorry for the long delay. I will look into it.
rawimage

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 15:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks to EarlyOut, for pointing out that issue. I had 7.0.1 installed and noticed the same. Updated to 9 and everything worked (almost) perfect. But I'll contact the skin developer by all means.
rawimage

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 15:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks David. The sun shines again...
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 15:50   in response to: rawimage in response to: rawimage

rawimage wrote:
But I'll contact the skin developer by all means.

As a first step, you should update both jAlbum and LightFlow. You are many, many versions behind.
davidekholm

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 20:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I've now made jAlbum write transparent PNGs as well as JPEG images. Here is how it works now:
  • If the input image is a GIF or PNG image, it is written as a PNG image (can't write GIFs)
  • If the input image is of any other format, it is written as a JPEG image

The way I see it, there is no point in writing a PNG image as a JPEG. Well, JPEG images usually become smaller, but there is probably a reason why the original image was encoded as a PNG image and not a JPEG, so why change that?

Please try out jAlbum 10.4beta that has this new behavior:
Downloads:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Any os: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum10.4beta.zip

I've made changes to several places to support transparecy, including jAlbum's classic image filters. Please report if I've missed something (i.e. losing transparency in some special case) or if you find any odd behavior (slow operation, errors).
RobM

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 21:53   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I've now made jAlbum write transparent PNGs as well as JPEG images.

The transparency of PNG may be quite useful, what I'm trying to understand is what impact using PNGs may have on how skins work. Does Flash support them, do flash based skins work if it is supported? Is there a test (is one needed) that can be applied if PNG images have been used? Or is it just a case of checking the image extension?

Edited by: RobM on 05-Jan-2012 21:37
Flash 8 onwards!
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2012 22:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I've now made jAlbum write transparent PNGs as well as JPEG images.

I'm assuming this applies to thumbnails and scaled images. But what about images that the skin is processing outside of the album images? I've got a routine for scaling a title bar logo that looks something like this:
if(!logoBounds.equals("original")) {
	bounds = logoBounds.split("x");
	AlbumImage ai = new AlbumImage(new File(logoPath), engine);
	ai = ai.scaleToFit(new Dimension(Integer.parseInt(bounds[0]), Integer.parseInt(bounds[1])));
	logoImageWidth = ai.getImage().getWidth();
	isScaledLogo = true;
	scaledLogo = removeExtension(logoImage) + ".jpg";
	ai.saveJPEG(new File(rootOutputDirectory + "/" + scaledLogo), 90);
}
If the provided logo image is a PNG, I'd much prefer to let jAlbum scale it, but keep it as a transparent PNG. How would I do that? Does scaleToFit() now return a PNG? And if it does, I'm guessing I should be using something other than saveJPEG() to write it out?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums