This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 10-Mar-2016 03:19 Last Post By: ctwist Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Gediminas

How to quickly change image titles (and keyword/description)
Posted: 05-May-2009 09:34

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am already using the comment feature (works OK) but noticed that titles are the same as filenames. Learned about the optional 'titles' file on this forum and fyvie.net, copied it into the relevant source folder but it doesn't do anything, filename is still shown as image title. A bug?

A related issue is with meta properties (description or keywords). How do you quickly change the generic keywords "album, gallery, exhibitplus etc." for something more specific?

Thanks.

Gediminas http://www.toli.lt/nuotraukos.html
JeanPierre

Re: How to quickly change image titles (and keyword/description)
Posted: 05-May-2009 10:05   in response to: Gediminas in response to: Gediminas

A related issue is with meta properties (description or keywords). How do you quickly change the generic keywords "album, gallery, exhibitplus etc." for something more specific?
Open index.htt file and manually change line 29 as desired.
Open slide.htt file and manually change line 48 as desired.
index.htt and slide.htt are in the ExhibitPlus skin folder. To open it " Tool >> Open Directories >> Skin directory" or Ctrl+Alt+S in MS Windows. You can edit the file using any editor.
JP
jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2009 10:17   in response to: Gediminas in response to: Gediminas

Gediminas wrote:
I am already using the comment feature (works OK) but noticed that titles are the same as filenames. Learned about the optional 'titles' file on this forum and fyvie.net, copied it into the relevant source folder but it doesn't do anything, filename is still shown as image title. A bug?

The file "Title" is a relatively new feature in Jalbum, and the ExhibitPlus skin has not been changed to use it. The skin author was killed in a diving accident last year, so the skin has essentially become an orphan, sadly.
JeanPierre

Posted: 05-May-2009 10:18   in response to: Gediminas in response to: Gediminas

There were some changes with the last versions of JAlbum.
You can add your customized Title in the bottom left window in the edit mode of the GUI.
This Title is saved in a file named ".info" in folder ".jalbum".
If you add the title in the "meta.properties" and if it does not exist yet a ".info" file, Jalbum will take this title to put it in the ".info" file. If there is already an ".info" file the title in "meta.properties" is not taken into account. You will be able to change it in the GUI, or in the ".info" file but take care of the encoding if you use accent.
JP
jimberry

Posted: 05-May-2009 11:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The ExhibitPlus skin's use of image titles actually predates Jalbum's relatively recent implementation of a similar idea.

Even though Exhibit Plus has not been updated to take advantage of the new Jalbum "image title", you can still use the old ExhibitPlus idea.

Just create a text file called "titles.properties" in each image source folder, containing titles for each image in the folder
The format is
imagename=title

e.g.
lion.jpg=The King of Beasts
dog.jpg=Man's Best Friend
cat.jpg=The Witch's Familiar

You can alternatively supply a text file for each image named "imagename.txt" containing a line like this -
title=The King of Beasts

The title will be shown on the slide page, and will also be used in the <title> element in the HTML slide page.

Edited by: jimberry on 05-May-2009 20:24
jGromit

Posted: 05-May-2009 11:54   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Thanks for the clarification, jimberry. I'd forgotten that ExhibitPlus was skinning the cat by another means.

Users just need to be aware that this technique of providing image titles applies only to ExhibitPlus - other skins will ignore the imagename.txt files.
Gediminas

Posted: 09-Jun-2009 22:20   in response to: Gediminas in response to: Gediminas

Thanks to all who replied.

Unfortunately neither of the two suggested methods to add alternative titles than filenames has worked - just tested the imagename.txt way with one of the images, but no change after rebuilding.

Previously I had saved the comments.properties file as titles.properties and put them both in the source folder. The comments part has worked but not the titles part.

I'm still using version 6.5.2 if that matters.
jimberry

Posted: 10-Jun-2009 15:22   in response to: Gediminas in response to: Gediminas

I cannot reproduce your problem.
When I create an album with ExhibitPlus, the titles.properties file supplies the text for the <title> element and also for a title above the image.
Is that not what you wanted?

This should also work for older versions of Jalbum, but is there a particular reason why you are avoiding using the latest ?
JeanPierre

Posted: 10-Jun-2009 15:54   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Some of the field used in ExhibitPlus are now in ".jalbum\.info" . Title is the case, but I do not know if there is other ones.
It means If you have title in meta.properties and not in .info jalbum will use it and create it in .info. Then the title in meta.properties is not anymore used, and title must be changed in .info or better in the GUI.
JP
Gediminas

Posted: 10-Jun-2009 23:21   in response to: JeanPierre in response to: JeanPierre

Jimberry, the title element is never supplied in my case like it should be.

I'm using the older version just so that I don't have to re-learn things right after mastering them in the version I have. However, it seems that now I have a genuine reason to upgrade.

I'll test JeanPierre's suggestion with a current version of JAlbum and shall let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
jczinn

Posted: 21-Jun-2009 06:44   in response to: Gediminas in response to: Gediminas

I know I never got the titles.properties file to work either, but I did get the titles to display instead of the filename by changing something in the index and slide.htt pages. Unfortunately it was a few years ago and I have no idea what I did, but I did get instruction from (I'm pretty sure) either jimberry or Jean-Pierre at the time. Unfortunately since the forum changed I can't go back to find those old posts, but I know it can be done. Maybe someone remembers?

As far as I could ever tell, the .info file doesn't do anything with ExhibitPlus. In fact I usually delete that .jalbum directory completely because it duplicates all the thumbnails for no apparent reason.

The one thing I never could do was change the filename on the thumbnails to reflect the image title. Mark had told me it was possible but would involve recompiling the java which was/is way beyond my skillset. Sure wish I could do that, though.

www.janetzinnphotography.com

Edited by: jczinn on 21-Jun-2009 06:45

jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2009 06:53   in response to: jczinn in response to: jczinn

jczinn wrote:
In fact I usually delete that .jalbum directory completely because it duplicates all the thumbnails for no apparent reason.

It keeps thumbnails for display in the main editing window - remember, before the album is built, the thumbnails don't exist, so they have to be created on the fly. On an older, slower machine, having a cache of those thumbnails speeds things up by a huge amount.
jczinn

Posted: 21-Jun-2009 15:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ah that makes sense. I delete it so I don't accidently upload it to my website, as why waste the space and the upload time, but I have a fast machine so never noticed any difference in creating the thumbs.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jun-2009 15:46   in response to: jczinn in response to: jczinn

The .jalbum directory is also holding other important information for album creation, so deleting it is a very bad idea. It stores the folder Titles and Comments, image Titles, and any image editing parameters you might have applied. Last but not least, it's storing a hash that's part and parcel of the "smart make album" mechanism, whereby Jalbum knows whether it needs to reprocess images or not when you hit the Make Album button.

Jalbum is very good at separating the stuff that should be uploaded from the stuff that shouldn't, as long as you don't override it. Everything that needs to be uploaded is in the Output Directory (Tools, Open Directories, Output Directory). As long as you don't explicitly tell Jalbum to use the same directory both for input and output (i.e., Image Directory and Output Directory the same), or check the "Output to image directory" box, you should never have a problem.
jczinn

Posted: 21-Jun-2009 16:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Well, my album creates correctly whether the folder is there or not, so...obviously Exhibit Plus is not using it. Remember, Exhibit Plus was written before the use of the .jalbum folder or the .info file. All those paramaters are stored in the properties files.

I am sure that you are correct if I were using a different skin, but it doesn't seem to apply to Exhibit Plus.

Also, I never use jalbum to publish to my website, I do it all manually. Its easy enough and I don't like the idea of not knowing or having control over what is being uploaded.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums