This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26-Jan-2009 15:26 Last Post By: jsallen
jsallen

PositionMap: Losing EXIF data
Posted: 19-Jan-2009 00:05

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am using PositionMap 5.7.9 and JAlbum 7.4. (I haven't upgraded, because I would probably have to customize my PositionMap files again -- but this probably doesn't affect my question.)

I had a bright idea, or so I thought. I wanted the size of most of the images in my album to be limited by the image boundaries set in JAlbum settings. JAlbum can make quick work of this, with its batch process, automatically scaling down all the images as it creates an album. This process is especially useful because the user can set horizontal and vertical limits independently, and the software scales down images in one step to fit within both limits.

But I wanted to set the boundaries of a few slides manually -- they needed to be oversize to show enough detail.

So I ran JAlbum once, set to link to scaled-down images only and make slides. JAlbum merrily downsized all my images.

Then I created another project, put the scaled-down images as well as the oversize images into the image folder for that project, and xreated another album, selectin selected "link to originals, copy original, make slides."

But in this process I lost the EXIF data from the images I had scaled down. This does not happen when I use the graphics program Paint Shop Pro to scale down images before copying them into my project.

Can I keep the EXIF data while making use of JAlbum's ability to scale down many images at once automatically? Is the problem that the EXIF data is stripped from the scaled-down images and stored, for example, in the html file? Can't it just be left in the scaled-down image the same way my computer graphics program leaves it? What if I also wanted to use the scaled-down images elsewhere than my album, wouldn't I want the EXIF data to be available? Yes, I would.

Is this behavior unique to PositionMap or is it a global JAlbum behavior?

Thanks.
kaya

PositionMap: Re: Losing EXIF data
Posted: 21-Jan-2009 16:24   in response to: jsallen in response to: jsallen

It's a JAlbum behavior since PositionMap relies on JAlbum to downsize images.
jsallen

PositionMap: Re: Losing EXIF data
Posted: 26-Jan-2009 15:26   in response to: kaya in response to: kaya

Thanks. I have posted a request to change this (stupid!) behavior on the features request list.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums