This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 58 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] - Last Post: 23-Jun-2016 13:05 Last Post By: mrag Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Justsomephotos

Re: How can I PREVENT downloading of my pictures?
Posted: 19-Sep-2011 19:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The best thing to do is to watermark your images and set the res low to 'discourage' crimal persons from stealing your images. Perhaps in the future you will be able to remote tag your photos such as a geo tag but the like of a 'ip tag' or somthing and then be able to trace all those that copy your photos, set the bounty hunters on them and get your photos back!

"the future is unwritten but who said that we will use writing to record the past in the future anyway" me 2011 :)
domkaphotography

Posted: 17-Sep-2014 02:04   in response to: stealthpaws in response to: stealthpaws

In Matrix, choose Settings / Matrix / Enlarged Images, and check Image save protection. Because this is a skin that uses Javascript to display the slide image, the protection against right-click saving is effective in all browsers.

I am using the newest version of Matrix and I DO NOT SEE THE check box like the older version of Matrix had for Image save protection. Can someone that is using MATRIX point out where this box is to click.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Sep-2014 03:52   in response to: domkaphotography in response to: domkaphotography

I removed that option from Matrix. It's pointless. If someone can see your images, they can grab them. There is no way around that. Get over it.
mrag

Posted: 17-Sep-2014 19:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

There is no way around that. Get over it.

As always, the diplomat ;-) It's a slow day on the forum and this topic continues to arouse, so allow me to blunder on. In "seeing" a photo, I can think of two ways to get a copy. One is simply a 'print screen' of the image and the other going into the temporary cache. I guess a third is knowing the album layout and inputting the direct URL address of the .jpg file probably in the slides directory.

None of those will necessarily get you an "original" or larger size image worth anything. Also there is an assumption that only 'skilled' pc users (those that know what the previous paragraph means) would want to basically steal a copy of a image. My wife for an example, knows how to right click and save an image she likes. But if she saw that option was disabled, she would give up. Like most burglars, she would move on to easier pickings. She has no clue about print screen, cache, etc.

So from that standpoint, I think there is at minimum a 'discouraging' value to having a disable right click option. I've yet to take a photo that someone non blood related actually wanted. However, if I did, I would:
compress it a lot before posting, reduce its size, include a watermark, include a general copyright notice on the album and hope someone with a lot of money 'stole' it.

So that's my $.02 on the issue. This may be a good topic for the Tips Forum and or a Blog posting (if not already existing).
jGromit

Posted: 17-Sep-2014 20:46   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
I guess a third is knowing the album layout and inputting the direct URL address of the .jpg file probably in the slides directory.

With a skin like Turtle or Matrix, it's even easier. Mouse-hover on a thumbnail. Look at the little popup status bar in your browser. No need to have any familiarity with the internal structure of a jAlbum album.

I've yet to take a photo that someone non blood related actually wanted.

Exactly.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Sep-2014 21:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I've also noticed that people who are concerned about having their images downloaded sometimes also want to know how to get their images indexed by Google Images. Of course, once your image shows up in a search, one of the options in the search results is "View Image." ;)
MJL

Posted: 22-Nov-2014 04:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

At least with Chameleon the on-image navigation, Forward-Back-Index defeats the right click and actually adds functionality. I do that rather than the use the check box method.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Nov-2014 07:02   in response to: MJL in response to: MJL

MJL wrote:
At least with Chameleon the on-image navigation, Forward-Back-Index defeats the right click...

Only in Firefox. In Chrome and IE, you can right-click and save the image.

Ironically, the way I do on-image navigation in the Gromit skin, it actually does prevent right-click save, in all browsers! That wasn't my intention - it's just an interesting side-effect.
marlow

Posted: 05-Dec-2014 18:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Long thread ;-) In case the developers read this to see users' concerns re. making image downloading obscure/difficult:

If an animated gif is posted anywhere in an album, I believe one has to "Link to originals" in settings for the animation to show. It would be nice if when "Link to scaled-down images" was set for an album, and a gif was detected.....that the displayed image would be a link to that original gif and not a single frame png file. (I don't know if anybody uses gifs in an album and would want to link to only scaled-down versions of said gifs.)
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Dec-2014 22:16   in response to: marlow in response to: marlow

marlow wrote:
Long thread ;-) In case the developers read this to see users' concerns re. making image downloading obscure/difficult:

If an animated gif is posted anywhere in an album, I believe one has to "Link to originals" in settings for the animation to show. It would be nice if when "Link to scaled-down images" was set for an album, and a gif was detected.....that the displayed image would be a link to that original gif and not a single frame png file. (I don't know if anybody uses gifs in an album and would want to link to only scaled-down versions of said gifs.)

I see the point. You can at least right click those GIFs and select "Include original". Now the visitor should be able to navigate to the animated GIF. A short tweak to the skin you use can also ensure that one gets directly to the animated GIF instead of first seeing a PNG version.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Dec-2014 22:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

This goes back to one of my old suggestions. For this kind of situation, a user should be able to choose to "Link to original" just for a specific image, rather than just having the option to "Include original."

I suspect it might break some skins, however. It's a tough one to think through....
pegleg1727

Posted: 23-Jun-2016 02:55   in response to: stealthpaws in response to: stealthpaws

Hi guys
If someone downloads a picture from j album what size does he normally get. Can he only download thumbnail size or larger images as well. Do they get the full size I uploaded or just a small file
If I only upload a small size how does this work on the e-commerce side of it.
Thanks
jGromit

Posted: 23-Jun-2016 03:01   in response to: pegleg1727 in response to: pegleg1727

If the image is visible in the album, the site visitor can grab it.

If you upload only thumbnails, the site visitors can see only thumbnails.

There's no magic. If you want absolute assurance that no one can copy your images, don't put them on the internet.
mrag

Posted: 23-Jun-2016 13:05   in response to: pegleg1727 in response to: pegleg1727

Are you asking about a particular skin, like Turtle? Are you asking about eCommerce options? I have the impression you are interested in legitimate image download options and not the prevention side of things.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums