Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 12 Oct 13, 19:15 Last Post By: JeffTucker Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Control-drag folders
Posted: 28 Jun 08, 23:47
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
With Jalbum you decide if you wish to work with real files or just links. Working with real files means that moving, renaming or deleting files within Jalbum will affect your files on disk. Doing it with links will leave your original files where you put them on your hard disk. (A link is indicated with a small arrow in the lower left corner of the thumbnail). Dragging a folder onto Jalbum will add a link to that folder. You can now safely delete that folder link without affecting any real files. If you however open a folder link, you will be taken to its destination which most likely contains real files. It is important to know that deleting those files will delete them physically from disk (and Jalbum warns about this).

Now with Jalbum 8 you can control-drag folders. This will create a folder inside Jalbum filled with just links to the files in the original folder. You can now safely do whatever you wish with that folder or its contents.
joneall

Re: Control-drag folders
Posted: 12 Oct 13, 14:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Ok, but what do I do besides control-drag to control that? Specifically, how do I make sure I am copying the photos and not just making links.

Now I have a bunch of links I need to replace with the real photos without losing the captions I have already entered.

TIA
JeffTucker

Posted: 12 Oct 13, 14:20   in response to: joneall in response to: joneall
joneall wrote:
Ok, but what do I do besides control-drag to control that? Specifically, how do I make sure I am copying the photos and not just making links.

See Tools, Preferences, Album, When adding files...

Now I have a bunch of links I need to replace with the real photos without losing the captions I have already entered.

In theory, you should be able to select the thumbnails of the links that you want to replace, right-click, and choose "Convert link to copy."

But David, this seems to be broken, at least in jAlbum 11.6b4. It's copying the image files into the image directory, but never updating albumfiles.txt.
joneall

Posted: 12 Oct 13, 15:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
THanks for your help, jGromit. To be more precise, it's in

Tools > Preferences > Album > When adding files

My wife's was on "Ask" and she did not know what it meant so she sometimes did one and sometimes the other...

I can confirm that in 11.5, "Convert link to copy." copies the image but does not update albumfiles.txt, as is done if I drag in the picture and select "Replace". Little but, there.
JeffTucker

Posted: 12 Oct 13, 19:15   in response to: joneall in response to: joneall
joneall wrote:
I can confirm that in 11.5, "Convert link to copy." copies the image but does not update albumfiles.txt, as is done if I drag in the picture and select "Replace". Little but, there.

Yeah, that's definitely a bug that needs fixing.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums