Home » jAlbum forums » Better photography

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Sep-2009 01:17 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jusval

Actually this forum has a lot to do with jalbum
Posted: 30-Apr-2008 07:12

Click to reply to this thread Reply
So far I have been asking questions, but since this forum seems a bit slow, I thought I would use my old charm and the knack I have to stir things up and see if we can get a thread going.

First of all, I would think that without photos, there wouldn't be a jalbum, so talking about cameras and taking photos should be a good forum for jalbum.

Now, here's my thought......... From what I see here there are some photographers who are novices and some who are knowledgeable. The ones who are knowledgeable can teach the rest of us. For sake of argument, I would assume everyone is doing digital and not doing film, then scanning to files on the PC, so digital is what I will talk about.

I use a point and shoot now. I have ever since life brought about a necessity to use a very light camera with anti-shake. I have stuck with my Sony DSC-H2 due to the fact that sensor sizes are not getting larger and 5-6MP is about all you get (without problems), on a P&S sized sensor. I shoot with manual settings or in aperture priority, or in shutter priority. I never use Auto. I also make use of ISO, but I limit it to ISO 80, 100 or 200. I find ISO 400 leads to too much "grain" (oops a film term).

I use the H2 also, to get the zoom. I shoot 99% at full zoom, to get closer to butterflies, without getting too close physically. Hence the need for anti-shake. Also the viewfinder of the H2 is very clear and I always use the viewfinder (old school film style again). I just can't get used to LCD's and they always go blank in bright sun. I set the camera up for pinpoint center of frame focus and metering, since I usually shoot my subject directly in the center the frame and crop to a (very loose) rule of thirds later. (most of the time).........

I sometimes use flash, even in sunlight, when I feel it will help to balance the light on my subject. I started doing that because I had too many shots with blown highlights. That only works for close shots though, so there are many a shot where blown highlights are there, mainly due to backlit subjects. There's a lot of that in birding when they are in branches of trees, where the sky as a background, ends up looking white while trying to get the backlit subject light enough to even know what it was.

I try to keep the shutter at 1/125th or higher, so I usually adjust aperture and ISO to keep it above that, unless I want depth of field, then I go for f:8, which is the smallest aperture the Sony will do. I see that many P&S cameras won't go beyond f:8.

I'm rambling............

QUESTION?
So what kind of camera do you use and how do you use it?
MonicaW

Re: Actually this forum has a lot to do with jalbum
Posted: 01-May-2008 18:31   in response to: jusval in response to: jusval

I use a Canon Powershot A85. The camera provides a sneaky way to exercise and also a nice hobby to share with the husband.
Usually leave the camera set on "memory eating filesize and quality", Iso 50-100 because of noise, and Av or Tv.
Have some accessory lenses I use plus some filters.
Flowers, landscapes, animals, insects, and the random family member image.
I'm definitely an amatuer, but slowly improving in fits and starts.
We give a yearly calendar to family and friends as a holiday gift of our best images.

MonicaW
defianted

Posted: 28-Sep-2009 13:33   in response to: jusval in response to: jusval

I have a Canon S2 IS and it's very similar to your Sony H2, it's got that long optical zoom ( 12x ). The reason i bought this bridge camera is because i shoot a lot of birds and I can't afford a dslr with long telephoto lenses...:)

I use different settings but it's on Custom setting most of the time: Av, Continous mode, No Flash, Automatic bracket, Color, Cloudy.

I find the long optical zoom great for close-up shots, it creates that blurry/fuzzy background compared to moving in closer if i'm photographing a small subject like a butterfly or dragonfly.

~ ed
RobM

Posted: 29-Sep-2009 01:17   in response to: jusval in response to: jusval

I have a Canon 450D and use it very badly!

I know some of the theory, and rules for composition etc. - and when to break them.
Lately I've been using it to take photos of exhibitions in a local museum, for a newsletter I compile/edit for 'Friends of the museum'. I use an external flash (when I remember to put the batteries in, which I can use as a slave - but still seem to get those dreaded shadows sometimes. A big problem is avoiding reflections on exhibit cases!

Would like more time to do some macro, and more skill to do some decent photography, and then some Photoshop skills to fix the pictures I actually end up taking.

I like books by Scott Kelby, usually very informative and with a good sense of humour.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums