Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Jul-2018 23:23 Last Post By: JakeC Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
ted

Mac OSX iPhoto
Posted: 09-Jan-2004 14:15
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Does anyone have a simple way to import an entire iPhoto Library into jAlbum? It would have to skip the existing thumbs (or even better. use them!) It should also skip the other non-image files and the Original image copies, etc.

Thanks.
camner

Re: Mac OSX iPhoto
Posted: 11-Jan-2004 06:36   in response to: ted in response to: ted
Can't you just go into the "Pictures" folder and drop the "iPhoto Library" folder onto JA?
MartinaO

Posted: 11-Jan-2004 11:23   in response to: camner in response to: camner
This would replicate the complex structure of the "iPhoto Library" directory as album hierarchy, including the original images and thumbnails.

However, if you use the Albums folder instead, the result is much better. You'll get an JAlbum album for each iPhoto album.

If you want to create just one flat album with all pictures in the library, create a temporary album with all pictures. iPhoto will create a folder corresponding to this album inside the Albums folder. Just drop this onto JAlbum.

However, these simple methods don't preserve the order of images, and you don't get the comments. I have written a set of scripts which reads this information and converts it into a format which JAlbum understands. It's by far not ready to be released, but if enough people are interested, I might try to wrap it up.

ciao
Martina
davidekholm

Posted: 11-Jan-2004 13:40   in response to: MartinaO in response to: MartinaO
Cool!
Bluebonnet

Posted: 28-Jan-2004 05:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I just dl Caption Buddy here today:

Dead linkremoved.

and was pleased to find that it writes titles and comments from selected photos in iPhoto to IPTC files. I then exported the photos to a folder and on the editing tab of JAlbum I clicked on IPTC and the comments appeared! There is no corresponding IPTC button for the label (i.e. Title), but I exported the photo from iPhoto with "use title" and "use extension". Also, I had to "write to file" after bringing the comments up in the JAlbum editing window or they wouldn't come through on Make Album.

In any case, that means that titles and comments can all be set in iPhoto, which I really like, because I can see a group of photos all at once and that gives me a general sense of the comments I want to write. It's terrific to finally be able to pull titles and comments from iPhoto. With handcrafted html, I always had to copy/paste.
The whole setup can be read by JAlbum (I was using the ShowOff skin), and printed to the album pages. Works like a charm.

So, when you said you didn't have the comments, I wonder if you didn't know about Caption Buddy. If you have it already and still lost comments, it could mean that iPhoto couldn't handle a very large file transfer and dropped off the comments. I've found that it can overload on large projects and malfunction on details, so I break things up into smaller batches (like when uploading to iDisk, etc.).

:D
Erle

Posted: 24-May-2004 22:33   in response to: MartinaO in response to: MartinaO
yes, i'd be very interested
pvk

Posted: 10-Jul-2004 15:01   in response to: MartinaO in response to: MartinaO
If you are abble to get the title, comments and Keyword from an iPhoto Album into JAlbum, Yes I am indeed interested.
tntjr

Posted: 07-Sep-2004 15:11   in response to: pvk in response to: pvk
I've used Caption Buddy, and it does a great job w/ Comments and Titles. But most important to me is Keywords, and Caption Buddy ignores them.
iRob

Posted: 21-Sep-2004 16:32   in response to: Bluebonnet in response to: Bluebonnet
Well, I just got Caption Buddy and it is cool. However, it offers the option to write BOTH title and comments to the IPTC fields. Yet, JAlbum apparently doesn't understand the title that Caption Buddy writes. I guess?

I also have the iPhoto scripts from Apple, which include similar IPTC commands, but none of them work. Caption Buddy does, at least as far as the comments fields. There's got to be a way of getting titles in there, besides exporting.

The problem with the file export method from iPhoto (with filenams set to title), is that then you spaces in your filenames if you have spaces in your titles. And then JAlbum puts spaces in your HTML files, which is a pain for long file names.
Gil

Posted: 20-Jun-2005 01:44   in response to: MartinaO in response to: MartinaO
I have written a set of scripts which reads this information and converts it into a format which JAlbum understands.

Below is an Applescript which seems to work, extracting the iPhoto file names in order and creating a fresh "albumfiles.txt" file, using Smile 2.6.9, iPhoto 4.0.3, JAlbum 6.1, and MacOS 10.4.1. Mind the line-continuation characters (¬):

property zero : 0

repeat
set OutFile to ((choose folder with prompt ¬
"Where shall I put the new \"albumfiles.txt\" file?") as string) ¬
& "albumfiles.txt"

try -- test whether the file already exists
close access OutFile
set FileIs to true -- exists, and was left open. Tch - tch.
on error erm number errnum
if errnum is equal to -43 then -- file does not exist
set FileIs to false
else if errnum is equal to -38 then -- exists, but was not open
set FileIs to true
else -- Uh-oh. Something else.
log "Error " & erm & ": #" & errnum
error erm number errnum -- and we're outta here.
end if
end try

if FileIs then
if button returned of ¬
(display dialog ¬
"File \"albumfiles.txt\" already exists. Overwrite it?" buttons {"Yes", "No", "Cancel"} ¬
default button "Yes" with icon caution cancel button "Cancel") ¬
is equal to "Yes" then
exit repeat
end if
else
exit repeat
end if
end repeat

open for access OutFile with write permission
set eof OutFile to zero -- in case the file was preëxisting

tell application "iPhoto"
set AlbumName to (name of current album) as string
set CountOfPhotos to count of (photos in current album)
end tell
write "# This file was created by iPhotoJAlbum from iPhoto album " & ¬
AlbumName & return to OutFile
write "# It contains " & CountOfPhotos & " file names." & return ¬
to OutFile
repeat with aPhoto from 1 to CountOfPhotos
tell application "iPhoto" to ¬
set PhotoFileName to (image filename of photo aPhoto of current album) as string
write PhotoFileName & return to OutFile
end repeat
close access OutFile

JakeC

Posted: 08-Dec-2005 00:42   in response to: ted in response to: ted
Yes, I'd be very interested in a script that would take my iPhoto album in order to JAlbum.

I tried to get the above to run, but it wouldn't go past the "album.text" thing.

Jack
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums