Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 27 Nov 14, 13:30 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
MarkE

Link to Google Maps & Google Earth
Posted: 8 May 07, 09:47
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
This should apply to any skin that support comments and/or header.inc & footer.inc files, as these handle embedded HTML fairly well

Google Maps is a free Google service offering powerful, user-friendly mapping technology, and accessed via a web browser.

Create a Google Maps link

Browse to Google Maps (ie [url=http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=
]Google Maps UK[/url])
Search for location, set the zoom and mode settings as required
Click "Link to this Page"
Copy address from Address Bar
[url=http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=kalkara&sll=
35.888424,14.527359&sspn=0.177457,0.291824&ie=
UTF8&ll=35.888476,14.52722&spn=0.002773,0.00456&t=
k&z=18&om=1]Google Maps Address[/url]

(Click to see its long form)

Use in comments etc

An album that explores these options can be seen at [url=http://mworthington.co.uk/jalbum/JAlbum%20Investigations/Chameleon%20&%20Geocoded%20Images/index.html
]A Chameleon Album to Explore Geocoded Images[/url]

For a more detailed discussion, focussed on the Chameleon skin, see GPS data & Links to Maps

Mark
MarkE

Re: Link to Google Maps & Google Earth
Posted: 9 May 07, 16:25   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Create a Google Earth link using Google Maps

This proved problematical, but the following seems to work

(Click links to see their long form)

Search for Kalkara, Malta in Google Maps UK
Zoom in
Click "Link to this Page"
Address is Google Maps Address ending t=k&z=18&om=1
Add "&output=kml&ge_fileext=.kml" to the end of the above address
Address becomes
Google Earth Address ending t=k&z=18&om=1&output=kml&ge_fileext=.kml
Copy the address
Put in IE and it runs Google Earth!!
Use in comments etc

See attached

The special Google Earth features like pan & tilt are obviously not available in Google Maps, so these can't be captured.

Mark

kaya

Posted: 9 May 07, 17:35   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Cool, Google rocks!
By adding
&output=kml&ge_fileext=.kml
at the end of the URL, Google Maps automatically creates a kml file which is downloaded and opened by Google Earth (if associated to kml files).
Really nice :)

Photo albums which integrate such a link would do the same thing when an user clicks on it: first connect to Google Maps to build a kml on the fly which is then downloaded by the browser and transfered to Google Earth.
It would be a bit faster when the kml is hosted directly within the photo album, so Google Maps wouldn't need to interact.

Message was edited by: kaya
MarkE

Posted: 8 Jun 07, 01:13   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
See GPS data & Links to Maps for a tutorial
arachnid

Posted: 4 Oct 07, 13:40   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
The same can be done with http://www.flashearth.com
AdriBer

Posted: 20 Nov 14, 00:29   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Help!! Seems that after Google updated their maps, this code is no longer working :(
Do you have any ideas as to why it would be doing it, and most importantly, how to go around it?

I was using your formula of grabbing the google maps http link, and adding the '&output=kml&ge_fileext=.kml' and it was amazing!

Now, it just opens in Google Maps, and - I need it in Google Earth.

I realize this thread is years old - hoping someone can help me with this!

Thanks so much!!
AndreWolff

Posted: 20 Nov 14, 22:56   in response to: AdriBer in response to: AdriBer
It is always easier to start making a map in Google Earth. If you have a kml file it is eay to display that in Google Earth.

I did describe the making of maps in my note How to add a map to a Slide Show 4 album.

You see an example of such a map here and here. Both maps a part of my Slide Show 4 Terschelling album.
AdriBer

Posted: 24 Nov 14, 23:26   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Hi Andre, really appreciate your quick response. Sorry I wasn't able to respond last week.
I've read through your post, but I have a question/problem though. The way I am incorporating the Google Map that used to get converted into a KMZ file by that addition to the hyperlink string, is using the hyperlink on interactive documents that get posted on an App.

Because the map was drawn out in Google and already accessible, there was no need to host files for it's access.

I do have access to Google Earth Pro, and I could generate the raw KMZ files if absolutely required - but the problem could/would be that I would then need to host them somewhere - no? And that may not work for our purposes.

Does this make any sense? Thanks again!
AndreWolff

Posted: 25 Nov 14, 21:40   in response to: AdriBer in response to: AdriBer
Well Adriana, on this Google page is stated:
From February 2015, maps created in the classic Google Maps —https://maps.google.com/— will no longer load KML/KMZ files from external websites, so I have to change the way I make maps from kml or kmz files.

It should now be done with the Map Engine in the following way:

Open Google My Maps and click the 'Create a new map' button.

Click the Import link in the upper left corner and drag the kml file with way-points into the window.
If you like to add a track, click the 'Add Layer' button and drag the kml file with the track into the window.

Next click the green Share button in the upper right corner and enter the Map title and description.
Click he Save button and the 'Change...' link in the next window.
Select option 'Public on the web' in the next window and click the buttons Save and Done.

In the address field of the browser you see now the link to the created map. If you use the Slide Show 4 skin, you can copy that URL to the URL field behind 'Open Route in Google Maps;'.

If you like to embed the map in a web-page or, click the folder icon in the upper left corner and select 'Embed on my site'. Click with the right button in the selected text and select Copy, to copy the code to the clip-board.
Add this frame to the code of your web-page.

With this method it is not required to upload the kml file. However the kml file should not contain to many items, unless you pay for a license. As an example, I could not make this map with the Map Engine.

However with the Google Maps Javascript API which I apply in the Slide Show 4 Map.htt template, it is also possible to make that map as you can see here.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 27-Nov-2014 13:13
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums