This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 13-May-2020 17:59 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

Always ignore "album" directory
Posted: 25-Jan-2020 20:23

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Just helping a nephew with a Cub Scout site. This is someone who's quite tech-savvy, but he made the classic rookie mistake. He decided to send the output to a different location from his project, not an uncommon thing to want to do. But then, of course, he ended up with a mysterious album folder at the top level of his finished album.

I think a good case can be made to have jAlbum always ignore an album folder, just as it always ignores a res folder. I wouldn't go so far as to delete the album folder if the user changes the output directory - that might be considered a sledgehammer. Or maybe if the user changes the output directory location, offer to move the existing output (if there is any) and delete the album folder.
davidekholm

Re: Always ignore "album" directory
Posted: 27-Jan-2020 14:52   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good idea. I'll put it on the todo.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Apr-2020 19:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I'd still very much like to see this one bubble to the surface. I suspect this problem crops up a lot, especially with new users.
davidekholm

Posted: 08-Apr-2020 21:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the reminder.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Apr-2020 16:42   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for the reminder.

Maybe in 20.1?

davidekholm

Posted: 23-Apr-2020 16:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for the reminder.

Maybe in 20.1?

Aah, it's about time I do something about that one too.
jGromit

Posted: 12-May-2020 15:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

This is partially fixed in jAlbum 20.1b13. An existing album folder is ignored, which is an improvement

I'd still like to see the core move the existing output if the user changes the output directory location. As it is, the album has to be completely reprocessed, and the old output is left hanging around, waiting to cause trouble.

On the latter point, think about what happens if, after redirecting the output, he deletes some images, renames some folders, alters the settings, and makes the album. Then, he changes the output back to album, and hits Make Album. The chances of getting a proper album in that situation are close to zero.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-May-2020 08:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

In b14, I've now added a routine that attempts to move the album from the old output directory to the new. It's triggered when hitting apply for, or closing the settings window.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-May-2020 09:07   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I don't understand this problem at all:

I am using version 20.0.6.
My original images are in I:\Pictures\Wandelingen\Berg_en_Dal
My project file is in the same directory.

My output directory is
I:\Users\Andre\Documents\Mijn websites\andrewolff.nl\FotoSerie\Wandelingen\Berg_en_Dal

In neither of these directories I see this mysterious album folder.

So what is the problem?

Are you trying to solve problems who don't exist?
davidekholm

Posted: 13-May-2020 11:26   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:

So what is the problem?

Are you trying to solve problems who don't exist?

No. In your case this is never a problem as you have the album folder under a completely different tree, but users who put the album folder (aka "output directory") under the image directory and then change the name of the album folder to something else, they will find their old album folder appearing within the new album on the next album generation. This has now been taken care of.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-May-2020 11:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
No. In your case this is never a problem as you have the album folder under a completely different tree, but users who put the album folder (aka "output directory") under the image directory ...
I think that is a bad practice for those users: the output folders structure should be equal to the folder structure on the server!

In fact I never use the album folder in the other directory, I never understood the benefits of that and it makes the making of back-ups more difficult.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 13-May-2020 11:58
jGromit

Posted: 13-May-2020 12:09   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
In neither of these directories I see this mysterious album folder.

From the user's manual:

This is the location of your generated album. The default is a subfolder, called 'album', of the project directory, but can be anywhere you like.

How would the application be able to guess where the output directory should be?
jGromit

Posted: 13-May-2020 12:15   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
In fact I never use the album folder in the other directory, I never understood the benefits of that and it makes the making of back-ups more difficult.

With default settings, the project directory contains the entire project - the input and the output. Backups are simple, since everything having to do with that project is in one place. Why would you scatter the project files all over the place?
AndreWolff

Posted: 13-May-2020 12:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Why would you scatter the project files all over the place?
The project file is linked to the images. If you put the project file in the image directory, it is easy to make a backup of all relevant files.

And because jAlbum is still not using everywhere relative links, it is in my case easy to move a project to another disk by just making a copy of the image directory. On the other disk I can open the project without any other actions: no links to repair!

A backup of the output directory is not required, because in case of a crash of your disk you can always get the files back from the server with an FTP program.

jGromit

Posted: 13-May-2020 12:40   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
In b14, I've now added a routine that attempts to move the album from the old output directory to the new. It's triggered when hitting apply for, or closing the settings window.

I'm now on b16, and this doesn't seem to be working.

ETA: Works in macOS, but not in Win10.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums