Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 44 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] - Last Post: 07-Apr-2020 21:32 Last Post By: davidekholm
RobM

Re: jAlbum 19.4 beta for testing
Posted: 01-Apr-2020 21:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Attachment FINDER.png (1.2 MB)
jGromit wrote:
(One of the things I dislike about Finder is the inability to get that kind of customizable details view. Maybe I just haven't found it.)
Have you tried, in Finder, Menu>View>As Gallery (CMD+4) or clicking on the fourth icon in the 'View' set. At the right side of the Finder is 'Information', click on 'Show More'. See attached for details on a jpeg image.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 21:34   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
That's still showing me only the details for the selected item. That's not much use - what I want to be able to see are the details, in columns, for all of the items in the folder (see my "details" screenshot, above).

ETA: I finally found it. See screenshot.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 21:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Fetched http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip and got v19.4b10.

Tried with bellsoft-java14-runtime-full (includes javafx):

karl@erlangen:~> java -version
openjdk version "14" 2020-03-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14+36)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14+36, mixed mode, sharing)
karl@erlangen:~>

LANG=en_GB.utf8 java -jar /home/karl/Downloads/jAlbum/JAlbum.jar

No problems observed when building and uploading albums. Despite a linpack benchmark running in parallel with foreground priority jAlbum stayed fully responsive. No freezing or delays observed. :-)
RobM

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 22:43   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
That's still showing me only the details for the selected item. That's not much use - what I want to be able to see are the details, in columns, for all of the items in the folder (see my "details" screenshot, above).

ETA: I finally found it. See screenshot.

Great, I was about to reply that you need to control click on the column headers to bring up further detail options.
RobM

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 22:47   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Oh, by the way, it will only work for images within the Pictures folder.
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 23:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
This beta has a rewritten ftp/ftps/ftpes uploader too. The code for the previous uploader was a bit hairy and had some drawbacks:
  • Would wait until all files in one folder were uploaded until it continued with the next folder
  • On error, files would be put on a special queue and taken care of at the end of an upload process. Well, it works, but upload performance could suffer a bit as this scheme wouldn't make max use of available connections.

The new uploader doesn't need to wait for all files to be uploaded to the "current" folder before continuing with the next folder, so better use of multiple connections (probably impacts albums with large files, like videos the most), and its connection pool is separated from the work pool (pool of pending files to be transferred) so another connection can immediately take over the task of transferring a file if there is a transfer error on one connection.

I'd appreciate if you also make some tests uploading albums and report any errors that weren't present in the older versions. Remember that the new uploader doesn't affect sftp transfers (used here at jalbum's hosting for instance)
karlmistelberger

Posted: 02-Apr-2020 11:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
This beta has a rewritten ftp/ftps/ftpes uploader too. The code for the previous uploader was a bit hairy and had some drawbacks:
  • Would wait until all files in one folder were uploaded until it continued with the next folder
  • On error, files would be put on a special queue and taken care of at the end of an upload process. Well, it works, but upload performance could suffer a bit as this scheme wouldn't make max use of available connections.

The new uploader doesn't need to wait for all files to be uploaded to the "current" folder before continuing with the next folder, so better use of multiple connections (probably impacts albums with large files, like videos the most), and its connection pool is separated from the work pool (pool of pending files to be transferred) so another connection can immediately take over the task of transferring a file if there is a transfer error on one connection.

I'd appreciate if you also make some tests uploading albums and report any errors that weren't present in the older versions. Remember that the new uploader doesn't affect sftp transfers (used here at jalbum's hosting for instance)

Set logging level to "all" and checked upload for unusual messages. None detected. Presumably uses 8 parallel connections and performs with full connection speed.

Some spam found in the log:

FINEST: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: SlideModel
Apr 02, 2020 11:28:42 AM se.datadosen.jalbum.AlbumBean setDataTypes

occurs 568 times even when uploading a few files of a tiny album only.
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Apr-2020 12:18   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
Thanks Karl. I've removed those spammy SlideModel debug prints now.

I've made further stability adjustments to the uploader now. I'd appreciate if you guys wish to test it again (all protocols but sftp). Start by patching your lib/jalbum-core.jar file with this one .

What I've been working on is to better handle various error scenarios, like dropped packets, ftp server connection limitations and wifi loss + ensuring that hitting the abort button really aborts all upload attempts.

jGromit

Posted: 03-Apr-2020 15:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Uploading seems to be fine, but I've never encountered errors, so that doesn't mean much. I don't know how to simulate packet loss or connection problems. A mid-upload abort functioned as expected.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 04-Apr-2020 09:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've made further stability adjustments to the uploader now. I'd appreciate if you guys wish to test it again (all protocols but sftp). Start by patching your lib/jalbum-core.jar file with this one .

What I've been working on is to better handle various error scenarios, like dropped packets, ftp server connection limitations and wifi loss + ensuring that hitting the abort button really aborts all upload attempts.

Fetched jalbum-core.jar and got v19.4b13.

Tinkered with the connection by unplugging the network cable and restarting the network of the machine. jAlbum did resume the pending upload without encountering any problem.

Tried rebooting the machine, hitting its reset button and turning off by its power switch while running. I needed to restart jAlbum as it isn't aware of KDE. However upon invoking jAlbum and starting the upload it would resume where it was interrupted without further ado. :-)
davidekholm

Posted: 04-Apr-2020 22:50   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
Thanks for testing Karl and jGromit!
davidekholm

Posted: 06-Apr-2020 12:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I've updated http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar to v14 fixing an issue with painting of newly created folders that reappeared. Hoping that v14 doesn't introduce any other bug now. Please test and compare with 19.3.6 and tell if anything performs worse now. If not, then this beta is good to go.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Apr-2020 21:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
A minor annoyance that I believe is new.... If I tell jAlbum to write XMP metadata to files, every time I enter a comment for a PNG or GIF file, I get an error warning about how it can't write XMP to non-JPG files. One warning should be quite sufficient.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Apr-2020 11:12   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
A minor annoyance that I believe is new.... If I tell jAlbum to write XMP metadata to files, every time I enter a comment for a PNG or GIF file, I get an error warning about how it can't write XMP to non-JPG files. One warning should be quite sufficient.

Ah, that's more annoying than silently ignoring those errors (like today). As we write the same metadata to .info files and comments.properties anyway, it's better to silently ignore these errors again.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Apr-2020 21:32   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
jAlbum 19.4 beta bumped to v20 and now released. See https://jalbum.net/software/release-notes
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums