This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Mar-2020 21:05 Last Post By: jGromit
LenSin1944

Early Users of jAlbum
Posted: 06-Mar-2020 15:11

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have been using jAlbum since about 2005 and I seem to remember making a donation when asked. Does that have any bearing on anything or is it all too commercial now?

I run a single website non commercially for an artist friend of mine and have used jAlbum in a
casual manner on part of this website.

I have to admit baulking a little at been asked to pay €49 for this. True, a charge like that makes me wonder what it has been worth monetarily to you, I hasten to add that I have never considered or thought about that I advertise jAlbum on that website and have done since I first lauched, sometime between 2003-2005 and enjoyed using.

However, that is not the point, I believe but can't prove I donated but was so pleased to have a program that took the sting out of coding that I seem to remember donating $5.00.

I have arrived at an age well over retirement and probably at some stage will stop using it through natural causes.

Yours faithfully,

Leonard Singleton
website provided if requested by the top brass.

p.s.I also concocted a skin called "StellExhibit " but don't know if it ever found it's way to you. LS

Edited by: jGromit on 06-Mar-2020 17:09, to remove email link
jGromit

Re: Early Users of jAlbum
Posted: 06-Mar-2020 16:22   in response to: LenSin1944 in response to: LenSin1944

A standard license is $59 or €49, and that license can be used indefinitely. Updates are available for one year.

For $35 or €29, you get a standard license and one year of hosting. But that's good for only one year, not forever - it is, in effect, a subscription service.

ETA: https://jalbum.net/en/purchase
jGromit

Posted: 06-Mar-2020 17:04   in response to: LenSin1944 in response to: LenSin1944

LenSin1944 wrote:
I have been using jAlbum since about 2005 and I seem to remember making a donation when asked. Does that have any bearing on anything or is it all too commercial now?

... I seem to remember donating $5.00.

David may respond, but I'm quite confident that a $5.00 donation made 15 years ago is not really relevant. That works out to about 3¢ per month.

For David, Anders, and Laza, jAlbum is not a hobby. It's their business, and they are trying to make a living at it. The original donation model didn't work - they were always in the red. They then tried an ad-supported model, but that didn't work, either - they were always in the red. The only way to keep jAlbum in existence is to charge a reasonable amount for the use of the software. There's no free lunch.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 12:28   in response to: LenSin1944 in response to: LenSin1944

Hi Leonard,
David (jAlbum's founder) here. Happy to still having you around. I have no reason to distrust that you've donated $5 in the past. Donations were helpful then, but weren't enough to sustain even a company of 3 people so we eventually had to try other models. These days we offer a classic license model and a subscription model, and it works to run a smaller company (we're only 3 people on the payroll, the rest are skilled volunteers).

Why not just keep it as a pet project you may ask? Well, that works when the number of users are relatively small, so support can be done with a modest time effort. Even though jAlbum isn't close to Facebook in number of users, we quickly outgrew the potential of only doing it as a pet project many years ago. For me, it was actually an easy decision to go commercial, when the alternative was to give up the project, cause I truly believe(both then and now) that jAlbum fills a need on this planet :-)

Anyway, I'm happy for your support then. Write us at support@jalbum.net and we'll arrange a discount for you as a token of appreciation.
LenSin1944

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 14:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hi David,
Thank you for your comments, I agree with your reasoning and admire and am truly grateful forthe fact that jAlbum is still with us,where would the world be without it.
Though I still use the program on occasion (the last time I used it in earnest was 4 years ago) I like having it there, it gets a little tricky because of the march of time and progress. My last iterration was ver 8..something, I have need of it again now which prompted me to go up to about ver 11.....or so just so that I can use the skin I weedled into life to tie in with an old iteration of Dreamweaver. I am full of appreciation for the fact that you encouraged rank amateurs like me to play about with your code.

I will certainly send you an email and thanks for your trouble.
Lensin1944
p.s. I did do a reply to Gromit but haven't seen it posted, no offence intended. L
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 15:04   in response to: LenSin1944 in response to: LenSin1944

LenSin1944 wrote:
p.s. I did do a reply to Gromit but haven't seen it posted, no offence intended. L

You might have left the page without actually hitting the "Post Message" button. I'm sure no one deleted your reply, and posts don't go into any sort of holding queue before they show up here. We may never know. ;)

Without seeing your site, I can't be sure how it would work, but you might want to spring for a jAlbum 19 license, and try one of the newer skins, something with a design that's a little more "current" than the skins from a decade or two ago. Among other things, the newer skins all adjust the size of the image for the size of the monitor, and they're all better-behaved on things like tablets and smartphones, which is what a lot of site visitors are using these days. Photos certainly look better on a nice, big desktop monitor, but we can't ignore the smaller devices.
mrag

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 17:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Do you want to consider trying one of your "gift cards" for LenSin1944?
LenSin1944

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 19:27   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hi jGromit,

I take your point on the version but as I haven't checked out the ins and outs of later versions
working with my old Dreamweaver cs6 which I use to encompass my perhaps somewhat unorthodox jAlbum creation I'll tread carefully for now.
If i tell you that the last time I did anything with jAlbum was 5 years ago you can understand my reticence to jump straight in with both feet,

You make a good point about the devices people are using nowadays, I certainly hadn't considered that at all, thankyou.

All my Imaging software is on Windoze unfortunately so I'm grudgingly stuck with it for now. I still have a trusted and modded Power Mac G5 but latterly all my communication, day to day
work etc is done with a 6 year old Macbook Pro .

Our website is undoubtably rather "old hat" by todays standards and fashion so it would seem that I am going to be busy for quite some time, David has my one and only website address if you care to see how I have used jAlbum in the past and make comments should you so wish, or I could send it to you at support.

On the subject of skins I noticed the post about merging Jupiter with another skin, is that how I would have to do i?. In Windows 10 I suppose I would just drop my skin in the skins folder in Program Files\jAlbum\skins and the program picks it up automatically. Currently I am somehow using a jar version 11.16.6 and don't see any way to get my skin into it. I'm missing a trick somewhere, 'cause I may have unzipped an executive exe and instead of installing by the exe file and gone straight for the .jar file. Nor have I dared to use a .jap file for fear of messing up maybe when I've made and saved my project to disk.

Slowly, slowly catchee Monkey as they say. Thanks for your imput and patience with my over long waffle. I look forward to re-acquainting myself with this brilliant software.

Regards,

Leonard Singleton
LenSin1944

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 19:44   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

I'm not sure what one of my " gift cards" is, some enlightenment would be appreciated.

Regards, Lensin1944
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 19:56   in response to: LenSin1944 in response to: LenSin1944

LenSin1944 wrote:
On the subject of skins I noticed the post about merging Jupiter with another skin, is that how I would have to do i?

If a skin does close to what you want, and none of the existing settings gives you a way to get there, you can always try to modify the skin. Some things are easy to change, some are difficult, and some are downright impossible, so there's no hard-and-fast rule. But always start by exploring the skin's settings - no sense reinventing the wheel.

For the most part, however, the days of being able to tinker with a skin's template files are largely in the past. Most of them are too complex for that, and a seemingly insignificant change can have bad effects that ripple down into other aspects of the album layout or behavior.

In Windows 10 I suppose I would just drop my skin in the skins folder in Program Files\jAlbum\skins and the program picks it up automatically.

Wrong location. That's the place for the bundled skins only. If you put your own skin there, it will get wiped out by the next jAlbum update. From within jAlbum, choose Tools, Open directories, Config directory. Then open the skins subdirectory - that's where your home-brew skin would go. But if you saved it as a .jaskin file, you don't have to do anything by hand - just double-click that file, or drag that file into the jAlbum window, and it will install the skin in the right place.

...I may have unzipped an executive exe and instead of installing by the exe file...

That's a prescription for trouble on a Windows system. Just run the .exe and let it install the application properly.

Nor have I dared to use a .jap file for fear of messing up maybe when I've made and saved my project to disk.

The .jap file is just a file that keeps track of your settings for a project. If you want to experiment, copy your existing project to a new name, then experiment with the copy to your heart's content.
LenSin1944

Posted: 08-Mar-2020 20:36   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

cards?
jGromit

Posted: 08-Mar-2020 21:05   in response to: LenSin1944 in response to: LenSin1944

LenSin1944 wrote:
I'm not sure what one of my " gift cards" is, some enlightenment would be appreciated.

You don't have any gift cards. Existing license holders can "gift" an album to someone else, and it comes with three months of licensing, instead of the one month trial.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums