This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Jan-2020 13:50 Last Post By: jGromit
killiney1903

Download PDFs but not images. Is it possible?
Posted: 17-Dec-2019 19:07

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've an album containing images (jpg) and a few PDFs.

Is it possible to assign an image to the pdf? A PDF displays in the jAlbum display as an icon.

Is it possible to configure Tiger, so that a user can download selected PDFs, but not images?

I guess it's not possible to do this, but I'm just checking.

Many thanks,

PeterB
jGromit

Re: Download PDFs but not images. Is it possible?
Posted: 17-Dec-2019 19:11   in response to: killiney1903 in response to: killiney1903

killiney1903 wrote:
Is it possible to assign an image to the pdf? A PDF displays in the jAlbum display as an icon.

See my first post in this thread: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55781

Works in almost any skin.
jGromit

Posted: 17-Dec-2019 19:19   in response to: killiney1903 in response to: killiney1903

killiney1903 wrote:
Is it possible to configure Tiger, so that a user can download selected PDFs, but not images?

There's no built-in option that will do that.

You could embed a download link into the caption. Let's say your PDF is called mydog.pdf. In the comment, add something like:
Here's a <a href="mydog.pdf" download>download link</a> for this PDF
Chrome automatically downloads the PDF - Firefox prompts the user to choose between saving and displaying it.
killiney1903

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 18:37   in response to: killiney1903 in response to: killiney1903

Dear jGromit,

I'm having some difficulty with the PDF issue. I just cannot get it to work.

jGromit wrote at [url]https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55781

Let's say your PDF is called MyBook.pdf. Choose an image that you want to use to represent the PDF (an ordinary JPG), and rename that image MyBook.thm. Now add MyBook.pdf and MyBook.thm to the album project together, at the same time.

In the jAlbum Explore window, the thumbnail should show your chosen image for that PDF, instead of the generic icon, and the album should do so, as well.

I cannot get this to work.

I also tried the David Ekholm's suggestion of changing the global jAlbum icon:

You should also be able to change the file res/pdf.png to something you prefer. Either change the global res/pdf.png file in jAlbum's installation folder or change the skin specific version.

I haven’t managed to get this to work either.

I'm using the latest version of jAlbum and the latest version of Tiger.

Thank you.

PeterB
jGromit

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 18:45   in response to: killiney1903 in response to: killiney1903

Attachment frenchpress.thm (146.5 KB)
Attachment frenchpress.pdf (889.1 KB)
killiney1903 wrote:
I'm having some difficulty with the PDF issue. I just cannot get it to work.

Not your fault - it's a bug in Tiger. A PDF with just the generic icon works, but a PDF with an associated THM file doesn't. You get the proper thumbnail, but the PDF viewer won't fly.

Just so you can see what it should do, add the two attached files to a project with, say, the Neptune skin. A local preview will work fine, so no need to upload it. The frenchpress.thm file is just a JPG with its extension changed. Then switch to Tiger, and you'll see it's not working, even when uploaded.
killiney1903

Posted: 21-Jan-2020 23:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Many thanks.

Maybe Laza might fix this at some future date.

I’ve a large archive of historical photographs (approx 15,000 photos) divided into years, and subdivided further by event. I use Tiger and it works perfectly. The search function is fast and efficient.

I’m in the process of adding documents in PDF format, hence my question.

Thanks. jAlbum with Tiger is an impressive utility.

PeterB
Laza

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 10:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment NeptuneWithPDF.PNG (19.3 KB)
I can't see how jAlbum could make a THM-based thumbnail for PDF's. Mine doesn't make it in any skin.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 14:27   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Attachment PDFthm.zip (958.0 KB)
Here's a zipped-up project - no output, so Make Album.

(And really? You posted a screenshot and said, "it doesn't work?" People have been beaten senseless for less. )
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jan-2020 15:33   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BTW, jAlbum also creates a nice, big slide image if you want to use that as a poster image somewhere. Neptune is using it as a "zoom source" for the launch of the lightbox.
Laza

Posted: 23-Jan-2020 09:47   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That's really odd. If I open your project it shows the thumbnail. If I create a new project, change to Neptune and add "frenchpress.pdf" it never shows thumbnail. What's the culprit?

I tried now with Copy. It still didn't work, but after copying the thm file also into the project folder it magically appeared. I believe this could have been improved.

But once the thumbnail is okay it works in Tiger too. Just like in Photoblogger. In Animatics and Lucid there's no PDF support yet, and Projector displays the slide image instead - which need to be fixed.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Jan-2020 12:42   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
If I open your project it shows the thumbnail. If I create a new project, change to Neptune and add "frenchpress.pdf" it never shows thumbnail. What's the culprit?

jAlbum doesn't go looking for a related THM file. You have to add both to the album project at the same time. It's been this way for as long as I can remember, all the way back to the days when jAlbum had no built-in video support (that's what the mechanism was originally developed for, since jAlbum couldn't extract a thumbnail from a video).

But once the thumbnail is okay it works in Tiger too. Just like in Photoblogger. In Animatics and Lucid there's no PDF support yet, and Projector displays the slide image instead - which need to be fixed.

Yes, I'm not sure why I was seeing a failure in Tiger. I have sometimes seen the Google Docs Viewer fail at random times, though a refresh often wakes it up. In any event, it seems to be working properly now, at least once the album is uploaded. Local preview doesn't work, of course.
Laza

Posted: 23-Jan-2020 13:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Even though this is how it works from day 1, it doesn't mean it's good :). Users expect same behavior if they add a folder as if they've added a single image. It's not impossible either to look for the THM file at the same folder as the original.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Jan-2020 13:50   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Seems like that would require a lot of overhead for something that 99% of people never use.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums