This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 3 Jan 20, 18:04 Last Post By: JeffTucker
nnathans

missing skins
Posted: 3 Jan 20, 07:13

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm certain that some Skins I've used routinely in the past no longer show up in my choices, and I don't see them as options to load additional skins. Have some skins been discontinued? (It's been a couple of months since I purchased a new laptop and loaded JAlbum - and haven't transferred old work to new laptop. I'm having trouble identifying the names of the skins that I've used so often. I thought the skin name would show up in footer of an older album but I don't see it there.)

Edited by: nnathans on 03-Jan-2020 07:14
jimberry

Re: missing skins
Posted: 3 Jan 20, 09:19   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans
Helpful
nnathans wrote:
I'm certain that some Skins I've used routinely in the past no longer show up in my choices, and I don't see them as options to load additional skins. Have some skins been discontinued?
Some older skins have not been been updated for a long time, and some appear to have been abandoned by third party developers.
Others have been superseded by new skins with new or improved features. (link to restricted post removed)

I thought the skin name would show up in footer of an older album but I don't see it there.)
The skins you have used may be mentioned in the head section of your albums code.

Edited by: jGromit on 03-Jan-2020 11:46
RobM

Posted: 3 Jan 20, 10:08   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

nnathans wrote:
Have some skins been discontinued? (It's been a couple of months since I purchased a new laptop and loaded JAlbum - and haven't transferred old work to new laptop.
You can copy the old skins from your old computer, with jAlbum open use keyboard shortcut SHIFT + CMD/CTRL + C to open the configuration directory. The skins you have installed are all in a ‘skins’ sub directory, copy them to your new machine.
I thought the skin name would show up in footer of an older album but I don't see it there.)
When you load a project that uses a skin that is not installed jAlbum will tell you the skin (name) is missing and ask if you want to download it - though it might not be available to do so.
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 20, 12:37   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans
Correct
nnathans wrote:
I thought the skin name would show up in footer of an older album....

Some skins display a "credits" line at the bottom of the index page that identifies the skin, but others don't. It can also be turned off in the settings - see Settings > Pages > Credit links.

Depending upon the skin used, the skin might be identified in the page code itself. While looking at the index page, view the source code (CTRL-U in Chrome or Firefox), and do a little looking around. If you have used widgets, for example, the skin name might show up in the widget code at the bottom.
nnathans

Posted: 3 Jan 20, 17:05   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Thank you. For some reason I am unable to see the post, per link you provided. Automatic message: "Error: you do not have permission to view the requested forum or category." Odd, since I am logged in.
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 20, 17:17   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

nnathans wrote:
Thank you. For some reason I am unable to see the post, per link you provided. Automatic message: "Error: you do not have permission to view the requested forum or category." Odd, since I am logged in.

That post is actually in the Admin Corner, which only moderators can see.

The bottom line is that a lot of obsolete skins were moved to the "legacy" category, and no longer appear in the regular repository of skins. None of them should be used for any current album projects.
nnathans

Posted: 3 Jan 20, 17:41   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

Thank you all for the replies. I understand -- deciding to discontinue skins that are not being updated so they'll work with new OS, various hardware and software developments that keep changing the environment, etc. (1) I wish there were something that I could have discovered with a keyword search on jAlbum website that would simply explain why they'd gone, and list the ones no longer available, and maybe even which replacements were most like them. Moderators: I appreciate your attention and responses to our questions! (2) I am a little disappointed (and frustrated). There were a few skins I chose specifically for certain features that I could work with. Once I had used that template, it was easy because I knew just where to look for the options and variables that I wanted to take advantage of on subsequent projects. I saved a lot of time by using something I already knew. Now it's a matter of taking the time to fiddle with new skins. Alas, onward!
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jan 20, 18:04   in response to: nnathans in response to: nnathans

There is a link to all of the legacy skins at the bottom of the jAlbum Software > Previous versions page, linked in the menu above. But use of the obsolete skins is strongly discouraged.

The reasons for their removal are many: instant crash with current jAlbum, Flash albums (not viewable in any browser), layouts that use framesets (deprecated, and a disaster on mobile devices), designs that no self-respecting site owner would want to trot out these days, etc.

Which current skins are "most like" the old ones? Well, none of them, which is kind of the point. Which currently available GM product is most like a '73 Chevy? ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums