This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29-Dec-2019 21:09 Last Post By: jGromit
i_am_jim

Using Tiger, some captions show, some don't
Posted: 29-Dec-2019 05:39

Click to reply to this thread Reply
All captions show in the development environment, some do and others don't in compiled version.
jGromit

Re: Using Tiger, some captions show, some don't
Posted: 29-Dec-2019 05:47   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

Obviously, we're going to need more information than that. What do you mean by "development environment?" Do you see the captions when previewing the album locally? Which captions - on the thumbnails, or on the slide images? Please give us a link to the album, and be sure you're including the lifeboat.zip file with the album. Under Tools, Preferences, Album, choose Include lifeboat file. If this wasn't already selected, make the album again, and upload it again.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 05:48   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

(Thread moved to Tiger forum section.)
i_am_jim

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 06:34   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

What do you mean by "development environment?"

When you are assembling pictures into what I think you call an Album Project you see thumbnails of the images. This is before you click the buttonbar that says Make Album. All of the thumbnails have captions in this environment. After you make the album and preview it some show the captions and others don't.
jimberry

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 10:02   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

jGromit wrote:
... ... Please give us a link to the album
RobM

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 10:15   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

i_am_jim wrote:
What do you mean by "development environment?"

When you are assembling pictures into what I think you call an Album Project you see thumbnails of the images. This is before you click the buttonbar that says Make Album. All of the thumbnails have captions in this environment. After you make the album and preview it some show the captions and others don't.

Make sure jAlbum (text file) is checked in Settings>Advanced>Metadata
i_am_jim

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 15:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

jAlbum (text file) & lifeboat file are checked

Edited by: i_am_jim on 29-Dec-2019 08:52
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 15:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Please give us a link to the album, and be sure you're including the lifeboat.zip file with the album.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 16:21   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Link provided by PM.

You're using an outdated version of jAlbum and an outdated version of Tiger, so the first step is to update both, make the album again, and upload it again.

You may be generating the lifeboat.zip file, but it's not on the server, so I can't access it. This is the thing I need most of all.

But looking at the album, I can almost guess what the problem is. On the thumbnails, you're telling Tiger to display the comment. On the slide images, you're telling it to display the title or label - just a guess, but I suspect you haven't actually entered any titles, so Tiger is displaying the file name (the label). So, for a file called Christmas 2008 Colleen.jpg, the displayed caption on the slide image is Christmas 2008 Colleen. But you haven't entered a comment for that image, so the thumbnail shows nothing.

In most cases, you appear to have entered a comment for each image, even though it's the same as the file name. That's just a waste of time unless you want to display something other than the file name.

You probably want both the thumbnail and the slide image to show the same thing, i.e., the name of the file. Under Tiger > Sections > Images > Caption template, try just this:
<h6>${fileLabel}</h6>
Then when you're in Explore mode, don't bother showing the comments, since they won't be used in the album anyway - the album will just use the file name both for thumbnails and for slide images.
i_am_jim

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 18:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Sorry about the delay. My wife wanted to go to breakfast.

Actually I would like to show names I have typed in under the thumbnails where it says Add Title Some have them, others don't until I can get the titles working.

OK, I have updated it using the version 19.2 and the latest version of Tiger. Lifeboat is part of the upload. Now it's worse. Look again.

Edited by: i_am_jim on 29-Dec-2019 11:44
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 19:03   in response to: i_am_jim in response to: i_am_jim

You now have a mixture of files from Tiger and Turtle on your website. This, as you might suspect, produces a complete disaster.

ETA: In fact, you appear to have made the current album with Turtle, but the server has some files from Tiger. In short, I can't figure out what you're doing.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 20:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Got your message. I hate dealing with this kind of stuff through PM's. Your Xmas pictures don't appear to raise any national security considerations.

In any event, you need to clear things out.

• Launch jAlbum.
  • Choose the Fuller Family project.
  • Click the little down arrow next to the name of the project and choose Delete, Delete local album.
  • Make the album again.
  • Connect to your web host.
  • Delete the entire album on the web host. Don't try to pick and choose files - just delete all of it.
  • Upload the entire rebuilt album to your web host. Again, don't get creative about uploading - you need to upload everything.

I'm also concerned by your renaming of the top level file of the album, away from index.html. That's just asking for trouble. I see that you have a page of elaborate instructions for site visitors on the actual index.html page. Massive overkill. I would either simplify the Tiger controls by hiding the Fit screen/1:1 button and the Start / Stop button, and maybe choose Show text on buttons. These are all options under Tiger > Lightbox > Control bar. Anyone who still can't navigate the slideshow should probably not be allowed to use a computer. ;)
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 21:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Now, captions. There are three things associated with an image - its file name, a title that you have entered, and a comment that you have entered. The latter two, obviously, are optional.

In one of your screenshots, you've chosen Title on the upper right. It's showing you any titles you have entered. But you haven't entered any, so it's just showing you the raw file names, grayed out, like Christmas 2008 Colleen.jpg. That's a file name, not a title.

If you choose Comment on the upper right, it will show you whatever comments you have entered for each image. Again, if there's no comment, you'll see just the file name, grayed out.

The first image has a file name of Jerrianne Becky Gayle.jpg. You've entered a comment of A few year back (I suspect you mean years, not year).

So, the only thing left is to decide what you want to show under the thumbnails, and what you want to show under the slide images. There are only two choices - the file name and/or the comment. What do you want to show on each?

You have complicated things by entering comments for some images that are simply a repeat of the file name, minus the .jpg extension. That means that if you tell Tiger to display both the file name and the comment, you're going to get both, and they're just going be repeats of each other.

Time to start over. I would delete the comments on all of the images, since most of them are redundant. Tell Tiger to display the file name under each thumbnail and slide image. You want it without the .jpg extension, so in the caption template fields, just use ${label} (I really wish Laza would stop inventing new variable names that are just like the standard jAlbum variables, but with different names) and ${comment}. For the thumbnail caption:
<h6>${label}</h6>
<div class="comment">${comment}</div>
For the slide caption:
<h5>${label}</h5><div class="comment">${comment}</div>

Then, if you want to add more information to the caption for a few images, go ahead and enter a comment just for those images.
jGromit

Posted: 29-Dec-2019 21:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Oh, and under Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata > Comment sources, check only jAlbum (Text file). Below that, for Title source, choose No IPTC. We don't want to start picking up titles and comments from random bits of metadata.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums