This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 28-Oct-2019 22:15 Last Post By: PhilippeCharles
PhilippeCharles

Projector skin - Lack of information how to use a user "empty page"
Posted: 26-Oct-2019 19:42

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Among the custom user pages (about, contact, etc...), you also have an "empty page". I didn't found any documentation about how to use it on the forum. So you we are again forced to run some long "try-and-test" session, as in the old good time of jAlbum, years ago :-)

For my albums related to our trips, I just want in this custom page to give some hints about some practical advices e.g. restaurants we have like, etc ... so that's basically about plain text, with some few font enhancement. In short ... ultra basic, isn't (!?)
Well ... no.

It looks like there are some undocumented things to do or not to do, because I just can't write simple basic HTML code. The fact is that I just cannot handle it, as I am used to for e.g. the "info" page of the Turtle skin:
  • Ultra basic command such as "p", "br", "div", etc ... just does not work :-(
  • It looks like there is some table that is already pre-defined ???
  • I guess you cannot use "header" and "footer", as the defaut HTML code tells "keep this".
  • So I suspect that you have to use some kind of container first such as "article", "section"... to encapsulate your text ???

After 2 hours of unsuccessful searches and tests ... I give up :-(.

If anyone could supply a code example, you're welcomed :-).
Basically, I think the most efficient thing would be that Laza supplies a working example by default in this "empty page" (instead of "<%-- Replace this with your html --%>").
Laza

Re: Projector skin - Lack of information how to use a user "empty page"
Posted: 26-Oct-2019 20:06   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Sorry, there is no documentation for this, as the content here can be anything. Unfortunately, without HTML knowledge it's mission impossible.

Naturally, you can use all "p", "div", "br", why not.

If you used your own header and footer then it would not resemble the other album pages, and no back link or other important elements would be present.

I'm experimenting with the empty page now, and for sure it needs some styling. Without that the page starts behind the control strip. Fix will come in the next version.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 26-Oct-2019 20:12   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza, thank you for your quick response.

This is not simply about knowing HTML; I know some basics as I already used it for Turtle since years.
The fact is that if I take some of my existing code working in Turtle "info" page and paste it here, this does not work. The text "jumps" around without any logic, paragraph command are just not recognized, etc ...

So this is why I suspect you need to use some specific style or page description, before you start writing some text, right?
Laza

Posted: 26-Oct-2019 20:35   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Basically the main difference is that Lucid is based on "flex layout" which is different from the good old "block" and "float" layouts. If you wrap the content in a div that has a "display: block" attribute it falls back to normal mode.
<div class="custom-page" style="display: block !important;">
.... Your code here ....
</div>
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 26-Oct-2019 21:16   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Perfect ... this is working now.

Thank you for your reactivity :-).
RobM

Posted: 26-Oct-2019 22:00   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
Sorry, there is no documentation for this, as the content here can be anything. Unfortunately, without HTML knowledge it's mission impossible.
Given the above, there is a how to make a template page wiki entry. It gives basic information on making a user interface and how to code for those elements. And, of course, there are the templates that come with skins that can be changed to make custom content, maybe possible after reading the above wiki page.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 26-Oct-2019 22:27   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I have seen this wiki page during my searches ... and actually this was the most relevant one :-).

The problem is that the supplied example deals with a user dialog generated with Java coding, so this is a quite specific usage and not really a basic HTML page.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 26-Oct-2019 22:53   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

There is something strange, it's apparently not possible to use a basic list in this custom page???
  • i.e. using the tags "ul" and "li" => the bullets are not displayed, there is no formatting applied.
  • This problem seems to be related with the use of the attribute "style="display: block".

Note that when I paste this code example in this forum editor, then everything is fine.
Laza

Posted: 27-Oct-2019 10:09   in response to: PhilippeCharles in response to: PhilippeCharles

Attachment user.css.map (20,7 KB)
Attachment user.css (36,3 KB)
Attachment user.scss (29,5 KB)
Sorry, the problem is not related to "block" - it's inherent in Lucid. Has a formatting of UL's that removes bullets. (Probably came from an older skin.) I will remove this from the upcoming version. You can replace the files in the skin directory / CSS folder with the attached.
PhilippeCharles

Posted: 28-Oct-2019 22:15   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Thanks Laza :-) !
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums