This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.


Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Oct-2019 20:05 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,713
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 10:01
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
The Tools / Skin developers menu contains an item 'Prepare for online use', the explanation (see attached screenshot) says that it will make file headless-settings.jap for use in console mode.

My skins do not contain a file headless-settings.jap, I use instead a skinmodel.java file as David did advice here and a batch file works in console mode without problems.

So don't you think this tool should not make a headless-settings.jap file but a skinmodel.java?
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 10:48   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
There is an external too, by Monkeyboy, that makes a SkinModel.java file.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,713
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 10:51   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
There is an external too, by Monkeyboy, that makes a SkinModel.java file.
So why is that tool not added to jAlbum instead of the current tool?
RobM

Posts: 3,063
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 10:53   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
RobM wrote:
There is an external too, by Monkeyboy, that makes a SkinModel.java file.
So why is that tool not added to jAlbum instead of the current tool?
Because David has not seen a need to do it, apparently. Since a tool exists just use it, or not.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:11   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Would you say MonkeyBoy's tool is solid by now? Do you have a reference to it? I believe I've given it a spin in the past but bumped into problems.
jGromit

Posts: 7,273
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
As far as I can tell, there is only one user in the entire world who needs this.
monkeyboy

Posts: 95
Registered: 21-Jun-2008
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
Would you say MonkeyBoy's tool is solid by now? Do you have a reference to it? I believe I've given it a spin in the past but bumped into problems.
It should be stable. There are no known issues (at least none known to me).
I made a couple of bugfixes (documented in this thread) before posting the current version in the 'External tools and plugins' forum here (on 12 August 2018).
I've made no changes to the tool since then.

If anyone finds any problems with the tool, please let me know and I'll take a look.
Thanks!
jGromit

Posts: 7,273
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 15:49   in response to: monkeyboy in response to: monkeyboy
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
This raises a related question. Is there any need for headless-settings.jap any longer? Maybe it's time to remove that from the standard Tools > Skin developer menu. Using SkinModel.java is more robust (because of typing). And anyone who's doing a compiled UI is using SkinModel.java already.

I haven't included a headless-settings file in my skins for years. I see Laza is still doing so, though I can't imagine why. Minimal still has one, but it's pretty much alone among the "current" skins. Fully, oddly, has neither a headless-settings file or a SkinModel file. Has this never caused any problems? Maybe no one has ever tried to use it from the console?

To be clear, I wouldn't remove it from the core, since some older skins are still relying on it. But I'd remove it from the tools menu and from the documentation.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,713
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 17:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
Would you say MonkeyBoy's tool is solid by now? Do you have a reference to it? I believe I've given it a spin in the past but bumped into problems.
1. You should trust your external developers.
2. Why don’t you test it yourself?

Now you add tool to produce an obsoleet file, bad for the education of your developers.

Personally I don’t need a tool, because I update file skinmodel.java each time I introduce a new variable.
jGromit

Posts: 7,273
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 17:31   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
Personally I don’t need a tool, because I update file skinmodel.java each time I introduce a new variable.

So why did you start this thread? Who do you think does need the change you're demanding? Perhaps one of those hundreds and hundreds of other skin developers out there?
ctwist

Posts: 544
Registered: 27-Sep-2003
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 19:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
A while ago, I ran "Create skin model file.bsh" for Mirage, BPP and E+. I don't remember having any problems; I would have reported such problems in the forum.

I find it useful because occasionally I ask myself "Did I create a variable and forget to add it to SkinModel.java?" It takes a few seconds to regenerate it, and a few more seconds to compare the two versions of SkinModel.java.
AndreWolff

Posts: 1,713
Registered: 14-Dec-2007
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 19:19   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
ctwist wrote:
A while ago, I ran "Create skin model file.bsh" for Mirage, BPP and E+. I don't remember having any problems; I would have reported such problems in the forum.

I find it useful because occasionally I ask myself "Did I create a variable and forget to add it to SkinModel.java?" It takes a few seconds to regenerate it, and a few more seconds to compare the two versions of SkinModel.java.

You are correct, far better as making a useless headless-settings.jap file.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,550
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 19:52   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
AndreWolff wrote:
1. You should trust your external developers.
2. Why don’t you test it yourself?

I did, a couple of times too, but got errors. Perhaps it's mature enough to replace the generation of a headless file now.
jGromit

Posts: 7,273
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: 'Prepare for online use' should make file skinmodel.java
Posted: 18-Oct-2019 20:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
Perhaps it's mature enough to replace the generation of a headless file now.

Maybe not a good option for a tool menu item. My skins have their own SkinModel.java files. I don't use monkeyboy's tool because it produces a file that isn't correct for my skins (not a bug in the tool, but my file is organized by settings panel, not alphabetically, and to accommodate the way I handle the "Custom" style, it has no default values for colors). So, I don't want a user generating a conflicting SkinModel.java file.

I say remove it from the Tools > Skin Developer menu. A skin developer who wants to use it can install the tool.

And to repeat, who is the target audience for this, and why is this consuming time and attention?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums