Permlink Replies: 59 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 29-Oct-2019 23:20 Last Post By: RobM Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

jAlbum 19.0.6 running on Java 13 for testing
Posted: 16-Oct-2019 19:33
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've packaged jAlbum 19.0.6 on top of Java 13 for the daring among you to test:
http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe

Let me know how it spins! Any improvements/errors compared to running on Java 11?
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 19.0.6 running on Java 13 for testing
Posted: 16-Oct-2019 20:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Can't try it. I have only my Macbook. :(
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Oct-2019 21:49   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

I have a challenge running jAlbum on Java 13 due to the launcher executable not accepting Java 12 or Java 13. The weird thing is that there is basically no articles on how to migrate from this launcher ("JavaAppLauncher"). I'll need to experiment a bit. I have however tested that jAlbum runs on Java 13 on Mac, it's "just" the launcher that goes with the .app packaging that won't play.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 17-Oct-2019 08:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jGromit wrote:

I have a challenge running jAlbum on Java 13 due to the launcher executable not accepting Java 12 or Java 13. The weird thing is that there is basically no articles on how to migrate from this launcher ("JavaAppLauncher"). I'll need to experiment a bit. I have however tested that jAlbum runs on Java 13 on Mac, it's "just" the launcher that goes with the .app packaging that won't play.

No such problems with openSUSE Tumbleweed. Modified the launcher to run:

LANG=en_GB.utf8 /usr/lib64/jvm/jre-13-openjdk/bin/java --module-path /home/karl/Downloads/javafx-sdk-13/lib --add-modules=javafx.graphics,javafx.swing,javafx.web -jar /home/karl/Downloads/jAlbum/JAlbum.jar

jAlbum 19.0.6 works fine with java-13-openjdk and javafx-sdk-13.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Oct-2019 11:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
OK I just installed succesfully this new version on an old Windows 10 PC and the first experience is fine. More to follow.
davidekholm

Posted: 17-Oct-2019 11:12   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
Thanks for sharing this Karl. Now we have the command line parameters that puts together the needed JavaFX libraries when running on a "normal" OpenJDK which isn't bundled with JavaFX.

Those who wish to get rid of the hazzle of referring to the JavaFX modules can create their own Java Runtime Environment using the jlink command. Here's the .sh file I use to create the Linux Java distro for jAlbum. You can use it to create your own JavaFX fitted JRE 13:
#/bin/bash
VER=13.0.1
JDKPATH=jdk-${VER}
JREPATH=jre-${VER}-mini
rm -rf ${JREPATH}

${JDKPATH}/bin/jlink --strip-debug --module-path ${JDKPATH}/jmods:javafx-jmods-${VER} --add-modules java.base,java.compiler,java.datatransfer,java.desktop,java.logging,java.prefs,java.scripting,java.xml,javafx.base,javafx.controls,javafx.fxml,javafx.graphics,javafx.media,javafx.swing,javafx.web,jdk.dynalink,jdk.internal.le,jdk.jsobject,jdk.scripting.nashorn.shell,jdk.scripting.nashorn,jdk.xml.dom,jdk.unsupported.desktop,jdk.charsets,jdk.localedata,jdk.crypto.cryptoki,jdk.crypto.ec,java.management --output ${JREPATH}

This script is intended to be placed alongside with the JDK and JavaFX modules folder. It generates a new "jre-mini" folder which has all the resources needed for jAlbum linked.

(jlink is a command available in the JDK)
karlmistelberger

Posted: 17-Oct-2019 12:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Thanks for sharing this Karl. Now we have the command line parameters that puts together the needed JavaFX libraries when running on a "normal" OpenJDK which isn't bundled with JavaFX.

Those who wish to get rid of the hazzle of referring to the JavaFX modules can create their own Java Runtime Environment using the jlink command. Here's the .sh file I use to create the Linux Java distro for jAlbum. You can use it to create your own JavaFX fitted JRE 13:

#/bin/bash
VER=13.0.1
JDKPATH=jdk-${VER}
JREPATH=jre-${VER}-mini
rm -rf ${JREPATH}

${JDKPATH}/bin/jlink --strip-debug --module-path ${JDKPATH}/jmods:javafx-jmods-${VER} --add-modules java.base,java.compiler,java.datatransfer,java.desktop,java.logging,java.prefs,java.scripting,java.xml,javafx.base,javafx.controls,javafx.fxml,javafx.graphics,javafx.media,javafx.swing,javafx.web,jdk.dynalink,jdk.internal.le,jdk.jsobject,jdk.scripting.nashorn.shell,jdk.scripting.nashorn,jdk.xml.dom,jdk.unsupported.desktop,jdk.charsets,jdk.localedata,jdk.crypto.cryptoki,jdk.crypto.ec,java.management --output ${JREPATH}

This script is intended to be placed alongside with the JDK and JavaFX modules folder. It generates a new "jre-mini" folder which has all the resources needed for jAlbum linked.

(jlink is a command available in the JDK)

They improved their documentation: Getting Started with JavaFX 13 - Runtime images

What is the size of your jre-13.0.1-mini?
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Oct-2019 14:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
OK here is the first problem I see:

With the PhotoSwipe skin and Use Embeded webserver set and Preview type: Integrated and Windowed at http://127.0.0.1:8080/PS__JustifiedGallery/ it was not possible to open the ligthbox by clicking on a thumbnail.

It was no problem after I selected preview type External Browser.

There was also no problem after I cleared check-mark Use Embeded webserver.

In version 19.0.5 it was OK in all all cases.
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 12:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment IMG_1669.HEIC (1.1 MB)
It is a pity that still no HEIC files like the attached image are supported!
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 13:56   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger
karlmistelberger wrote:

What is the size of your jre-13.0.1-mini?

139MB disk space. 50MB compressed. It's the first time I see it shrinking in size. Java 11's corresponding JRE tool 162MB.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
It is a pity that still no HEIC files like the attached image are supported!

I understand that HEIF is infested with patents which hinders it from becoming widespread. jAlbum uses this library, where there have been requests (by me and others) to support HEIF:
https://github.com/haraldk/TwelveMonkeys/issues/440

Lobby there for HEIF, It's more efficient than lobbying here. If the TwelveMonkey's library gets HEIF support, so will jAlbum :-)
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:09   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
OK here is the first problem I see:

With the PhotoSwipe skin and Use Embeded webserver set and Preview type: Integrated and Windowed at http://127.0.0.1:8080/PS__JustifiedGallery/ it was not possible to open the ligthbox by clicking on a thumbnail.

It was no problem after I selected preview type External Browser.

There was also no problem after I cleared check-mark Use Embeded webserver.

I tried jAlbum 19.0.6 on Java 13 with PhotoSwipe and windowed preview mode with use of the embedded web server. It worked fine to open the lightbox by clicking thumbnails here. Try the "Sample Portfolio" project so we're comparing the same project as a start. Second, I cannot naturally investigate any URL starting with 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I understand that HEIF is infested with patents which hinders it from becoming widespread.
Well I bought PhotoShop Elements 2020 because it supports HEIC files.
AndreWolff

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 14:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I tried jAlbum 19.0.6 on Java 13 with PhotoSwipe and windowed preview mode with use of the embedded web server. It worked fine to open the lightbox by clicking thumbnails here. Try the "Sample Portfolio" project so we're comparing the same project as a start. Second, I cannot naturally investigate any URL starting with 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
Strange, but I tested it also with the FancyBox skin and Slide Show 4 skin and there I had no problems.
I made also the "Sample Portfolio" project with the PhotoSwipe skin. I could open the People folder, but I could not enlarge your picture.
But is is for me not an important issue, because I never use the integrated browser.

Sadly enough I had again a hang, but differently from the hangs I saw in version 19.0.5:
I clicked in the project list on another project and jAlbum was so busy that it did not react anymore on my clicks.
davidekholm

Posted: 18-Oct-2019 15:17   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:

Sadly enough I had again a hang, but differently from the hangs I saw in version 19.0.5:
I clicked in the project list on another project and jAlbum was so busy that it did not react anymore on my clicks.

Ensure you have the watchdog activated under Preferences->Advanced, then pass me the generated thread dump file (should be generated after 20s of a UI hang)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums