This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17-Oct-2019 13:18 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
EddyTorremans

Switch from Turtle to Tiger skin
Posted: 17-Oct-2019 10:13

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I wish to update from Turtle to Tiger skin in order to have my website www.globetrotters.be being visible in a proper way on different kind of devices and not just a desk-top.

With over 3300 images, including captions and more then 70 MP4 video's, I'm really scared to lose all this work if I just change the skin setting at jAlbum's browser.
I'm far from a IT-pro, is there a way to keep it simple and avoid losing my work ?
I was trying to find an answer on this brilliant forum beforer posting but could'nt find it.
I would appreciate any input. Thank you folks.
RobM

Re: Switch from Turtle to Tiger skin
Posted: 17-Oct-2019 11:23   in response to: EddyTorremans in response to: EddyTorremans
Helpful
If you are nervous about losing your project then you should already have a backup of your jAlbum projects, if not then a backup is the first thing to do - press SHIFT + CMD/CTRL + I to open the selected project and backup the folder that contains those files. If you have multiple projects back up everything in the ‘My albums’ folder.

But the only potential problem is if you use page templates, like About or Contact. If you use them then you need to update them after changing skins but before making the album, use this tool to do it
jGromit

Re: Switch from Turtle to Tiger skin
Posted: 17-Oct-2019 13:18   in response to: EddyTorremans in response to: EddyTorremans
Helpful
And don't experiment with your large, main album. Create a small test project with Tiger, with maybe just a couple of folders, each with a dozen images. Experiment with the settings to get things looking the way you want them.

When you're satisfied with the result, open your real project and import the settings from your test project - File, Import, Settings from Album Project, and navigate to the jalbum-settings.jap file of the test project.

There's really no danger of losing things like titles and captions - those aren't controlled by the skin at all.

Switching to a new skin might trigger reprocessing of the images and videos, mostly because you might be using different image bounds or video settings. Tiger uses different default values for some image bounds, for example, and they've been chosen for good reasons, so you might want to stick with them. But the reprocessing will happen only once, the first time you make the album with the new skin. One long upload, but then it's done.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums