Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 03-Oct-2019 21:46 Last Post By: jGromit
joemamas

Change default ordering for project
Posted: 03-Oct-2019 18:51
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thank you. That did the trick.

So long as I have your attention, may I ask a quick off topic question? :

How do I set the default file Ordering for an entire project? I have see that Jalbum is defaulting to its own Order According to Jalbum settings and not Order by Name. I cannot select groups of folders to apply this setting How can I set the entire project/sub-albums to Sort by Name by default? I know that this can be done on an album by album basis, but I have dozens of sub-folders that all need to be sorted and going through one by one is tiresome.

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Edited by: joemamas on 03-Oct-2019 09:52
jGromit

Re: remove hero image
Posted: 03-Oct-2019 19:42   in response to: joemamas in response to: joemamas
The default ordering is set under Album > Settings > Pages, and if you set it there, then choose File, Save as default, that will apply to any new project you create.

But it's messier than that. If you add some images to a folder, but then click and drag even one of them to a new position, jAlbum assumes that you no longer want to have the default ordering. It then sets the ordering for that folder to "custom," instead. Once you've strayed from the default ordering, there's no automatic way of going back.

Offhand, I can't think of a truly easy way of resetting the sort order of a bunch of folders. If a folder hasn't been fiddled with, and is still using the project default, resetting it under Pages should do the trick - you might have to hit F5 to refresh the display when you open the folder in the project in order to see the now-current order.

If a folder has been fiddled with, the non-default sort ordering will be in its .jalbum > meta.properties file. It's just a text file, and it will contain a line like:
ordering=custom

or

ordering=name
Tempting simply to create a one-line meta.properties with the desired ordering, and just copy that file (outside of jAlbum) into each of the folders' .jalbum subdirectories, but that file also contains any folder description/comment you've entered, so you don't want to overwrite the file.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Oct-2019 19:57   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
(Thread split and moved, since it's not skin-specific.)
jGromit

Posted: 03-Oct-2019 20:02   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
This is something that I think is lacking in the jAlbum core. At the moment I'm not sure where the setting should be, or what the UI should look like, but there should be a way of resetting the ordering of an entire project, no matter what tinkering has been done before. Conceptually, it would remove the "ordering" attribute from all meta.properties files in the project, without killing the folder descriptions. It would need an "are you sure" dialog, as well, since it could really clobber things in a large project.
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Oct-2019 20:56   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I admit it's time to review jAlbum's way of ordering items. In this case however, you can set the desired ordering for the current folder and then use Tools->External tools->Apply ordering to sub folders. This will ensure that all sub folders get the same ordering as the current folder.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Oct-2019 21:34   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Tested, and that works well.

That's the trouble with the external tools - even a long-time user forgets what's there if he doesn't use them often. ;)

It's compounded by the fact that I can't remember whether a given tool is part of the regular package, or is a RobM custom job that I've added. It takes a little hunting around.
davidekholm

Posted: 03-Oct-2019 21:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
"You are forgiven my child" (the pope waving his hand in a blessing gesture ;-) )

Any recommendation on a suitable UI integration for this feature is welcome.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Oct-2019 21:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Oh, you foolish, foolish man. You're assuming that I want to preserve default ordering, but add something to it.. ;)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums