Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 39 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 26-Aug-2019 17:23 Last Post By: davidekholm
davidekholm

jAlbum 18.4 beta for testing
Posted: 15-Jul-2019 22:11
I'm currently on vacation but also working a bit on jAlbum 18.4 beta. Here are the changes so far:
  • Uses an embedded web server for previews to avoid JSON file loading errors when previewing modern skins like Tiger and PhotoBlogger using an external browser
  • Updated internal web server from Jetty 6 to latest Jetty 9, thereby fixing issue with redirects and foreign characters
  • Makes a "meta" metadata object available for videos too
  • Shows transfer speed too during uploads
  • Gives better progress response while calculating size of remote album prior to uploads. (If the manifest.jmf file is missing due to IO error during upload for instance, then jAlbum has to compare each remote folder with the corresponding local folder prior to upload in order to avoid uploading files that are already uploaded. However, this process may take some time for large albums. This update now prints the progress for each folder listed (album size so far)

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Any: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

What more would you love to see incorporated in v18.4?

jGromit

Re: jAlbum 18.4 beta for testing
Posted: 15-Jul-2019 22:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:

Well, as long as you ask (just updating my bugs and features lists)....

In the bugs department, the top three on my list produce especially nasty results (almost catastrophically bad in the case of the first one), so even though users may not run into them very often, I keep them at the top of the list:

• jAlbum allows a user to name a folder slides or thumbs, which produces bizarre results in a project.
  • If a user chooses "..." as the image bounds, but doesn't enter any values, then hits OK, there's a console error dump, and Make Album won't work. If the user then chooses another skin, he gets a popup error dump. This should be handled more gracefully, perhaps by returning to the previously-selected bounds when no values are entered.
  • The FixedShapeFilter produces images in the same aspect ratio (as it should), but not always of the same size. For thumbnails, the result is, bizarrely, dependent upon the slide image bounds. This has started producing actual display errors in newer skins, which often use larger thumbnail image bounds. For slide images, there is almost no way to produce images that are all the same size, even if the originals are much larger than the slide image bounds. See: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=49192

In the features request department, I'd nominate these. The second one is just an option labeling change. There are others that are near and dear to my heart, but I've pretty much given up any hope of getting those.

• Move the privacy and profile page settings out of the uploading routine, make them preference settings, overridable on a per-project basis. Downthread, see: https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=54735
  • Change Make All to Force Remake, and Make Changes to Make Test, to reduce user confusion about which one they should choose. Too many users still think that they need to Make All if they've changed anything, and too many think that Make Changes is all they ever need to do.
  • Extend Adjust camera date to videos, since videos seem to contain only UTC timestamps.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jul-2019 23:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:

But first have a nice holiday!
AndreWolff

Posted: 16-Jul-2019 11:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Here are the changes so far:
I think you are not ready yet with the video meta data, next variables should now also be filled for videos:

• originalDate
  • cameraMake
  • cameraModel
I updated part of my EXIF code to get the recording date:
   bv= meta.get("Date/Time Original");
   if ((bv == void)||(bv == null))  bv= meta.get("Quicktime video.Creation Time");
   if ((bv == void)||(bv == null))  bv= meta.get("Mp4 video.Creation Time");
   if ((bv != void)&&(bv != null))  {
     DT= getText("expDate") + ": " + bv +", "; 
   }
I have only examples of Quicktime and MP4 videos, but I think there will be much more, so it would be nice if I could use this code once:
 if ((bv == void)||(bv == null))   bv= meta.get("video.Creation Time");
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Jul-2019 11:35   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:

I think you are not ready yet with the video meta data, next variables should now also be filled for videos:

• originalDate
  • cameraMake
  • cameraModel

I should probably map the camera date to the originalDate variable too. Currently jAlbum however adds the camera date for both images and videos to "originalDateRSS"
Can't find any "cameraMake" or "cameraModel" extracted for videos by Metadata-extractor.
AndreWolff

Posted: 16-Jul-2019 12:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I should probably map the camera date to the originalDate variable too. Currently jAlbum however adds the camera date for both images and videos to "originalDateRSS"
I see on page http://jalbum.net/help/en/Variables no variable "originalDateRSS"

I tried this:
    if ((originalDateRSS != void)&&(originalDateRSS != null))  {
	DT= getText("expDate") + ": " + originalDateRSS +", "; 
    }
but this does not work.
Can't find any "cameraMake" or "cameraModel" extracted for videos by Metadata-extractor.
Well I see in the meta data of an iPhone video:
Quicktime metadata.Make=Apple, 
Quicktime.Major Brand=Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT),
And apparantly you did not see my request:

I have only examples of Quicktime and MP4 videos, but I think there will be much more, so it would be nice if I could use this code once:

if ((bv == void)||(bv == null)) bv= meta.get("video.Creation Time");

Edited by: AndreWolff on 16-Jul-2019 12:42
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2019 12:45   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
There's no "camera make" coming out of a Samsung S7. I'm guessing that there are probably only two results available: "Apple" or nothing.

Major Brand has nothing to do with the make/model of the camera. It refers to the video encoding. My S7 coughs up MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14] for that one. Useless information for an album.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Jul-2019 12:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I should probably map the camera date to the originalDate variable too.

Yes, I think I'd vote for that. It's the earliest possible date for the content of the file, as "original" as it can be. It's a problem if your camera date is incorrect, but I don't think there's any good way of compensating for that. But if the camera date is missing, or is zero (or the equivalent, like Jan. 1 1970 or something in 1904, which I have also seen), it should be ignored, of course. If it predates the digital age, it's wrong!

Depending upon how you move your files around, it's very easy to end up with an "original" file date on an MP4 that reflects the date on which you moved the video to your PC, information that's not very useful. ;)
AndreWolff

Posted: 17-Jul-2019 15:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I'm currently on vacation but also working a bit on jAlbum 18.4 beta. Here are the changes so far:
I think there is a problem with the video meta data see here.
RobM

Posted: 17-Jul-2019 16:49   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I'm currently on vacation but also working a bit on jAlbum 18.4 beta.
Is it possible for the location panel to show the location of videos that have had gpsLocation etc. populated, instead of just using metadata. Or even save the location of a search result to those variables to support video location.

I realise there may be technical reasons for it not to be possible, but it would be nice to know for sure.
RobM

Posted: 17-Jul-2019 16:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I'm currently on vacation but also working a bit on jAlbum 18.4 beta.
In the Menu/Tools/External tools list, at the top, a link to the external tools forum; so (new) users know where to get them from.
davidekholm

Posted: 21-Aug-2019 22:33   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
I've finally been able to update jAlbum's internal web server from Jetty 6 to Jetty 9 and now make use of it for previewing local albums without getting errors with JSON file loading when using an external web browser and skins like Tiger and PhotoBlogger.

To try out this new way of previewing files, get the updated beta installers:

Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Any: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

You can toggle whether to preview via jAlbum's embedded web server or straight from the file system under Preferences. You can also set a desired port for this server (leave blank for auto-select)

Please play a bit with the preview mechanism and various preview modes/types (local, online, embedded, windowed and external) to see if I've broken anything. Yes, I have tested, but the preview code has been rather messy.
jGromit

Posted: 21-Aug-2019 23:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Very slick. :)

No immediate problems on Win10 or macOS 10.14.6.

But check your email. ;)

ETA: Laza will need to update the big red warning messages in Photoblogger, Projector, and Tiger (they're already out of date, even before this change, because Firefox no longer works for previews).
MarkusD

Posted: 22-Aug-2019 06:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
After installing the beta and starting JA I received the message:
We're sorry. jAlbum is unable to start. Please pass this error report to support@jalbum.net
Thank you for your patience.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/jetty/server/Connector
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JShareWindow.<init>(JShareWindow.java:56)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.<init>(JAlbumFrame.java:192)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:133)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:369)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:45)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.eclipse.jetty.server.Connector
	at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 9 more

After confirming the message, JA vanished.

I'm on „Windows 10 Pro“ / „1903“

Edited by: MarkusD on 22-Aug-2019 08:34
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Aug-2019 09:31   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Very slick. :)

No immediate problems on Win10 or macOS 10.14.6.

Awesome :-)

But check your email. ;)

I figured ;-)

ETA: Laza will need to update the big red warning messages in Photoblogger, Projector, and Tiger (they're already out of date, even before this change, because Firefox no longer works for previews).

True. I was thinking of that just before I fell asleep yesterday. If this server based preview turns out well, it, and the external preview mode will likely be the default again. Back to where we started
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums