This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 25-Apr-2019 17:41 Last Post By: jGromit
AndreasHGW

Pluto: Size and Crop of Album Miniatur Picture
Posted: 24-Apr-2019 22:11

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment picture.JPG (38.8 KB)
Attachment picture2.JPG (179.3 KB)
Hello

I still do not understand how to set and configure the size of the Album-Miniatur picture.
I choose one of my picture's which is also shown in my album.

But as already in the explorer page at jalbum the album motiv picture will be cropped.
What can I do to show here a picture "uncropped"?

This does not look very professional.
And the worst is, that the picure is cropped too much, so that it looks unsharp.
jGromit

Re: Pluto: Size and Crop of Album Miniatur Picture
Posted: 24-Apr-2019 23:03   in response to: AndreasHGW in response to: AndreasHGW

First, the skin is not using the Miniaturbild - it's using the Motivbild.

Next, the theme image is used as a background image for the entire viewport, and the thumbnail table then covers part of it, depending upon the Height value you choose - see https://jgromit.com/pluto/man/pluto_layout_index-page.html. As you scroll down, more of the theme image is hidden. It cannot be shown "uncropped" - it is not displayed at a fixed size. It must be able to adapt to any size of viewport, and it must also support the parallax effect.

See one of the demo albums, for example, and make your browser window narrower and wider, to see the effect. https://jgromit.com/pluto/light/

Finally, since that image has to be able to cover the entire viewport, you must choose an image whose native dimensions are large, like 3000x2000 - the bigger, the better. A smaller image will end up being enlarged by the browser, which leads to an "unsharp" display. In that demo album, the original is 6000x4000, and I've chosen 2000px as the theme image width in the skin settings. So, on a 1920x1080 monitor, it is never enlarged beyond its actual dimensions.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Apr-2019 23:05   in response to: AndreasHGW in response to: AndreasHGW

AndreasHGW wrote:
And the worst is, that the picure is cropped too much, so that it looks unsharp.

Cropping an image never changes the sharpness. The only thing that makes an image look unsharp is showing it at a size larger than its actual dimensions.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Apr-2019 23:39   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment desktop.png (702.1 KB)
Attachment phone.png (193.5 KB)
Users often have trouble understanding why their theme image can't be shown without any cropping. Here's a quick illustration of why that's problematic, from another skin.

In this album, the theme image is never cropped - you see the entire image at all times. So here's what it looks like on a desktop PC: attached desktop.png

But as the viewport gets narrower, the image must also get narrower. And to avoid cropping, it also has to get shorter. The only other option would be to change the aspect ratio, which would distort the image. So here's what it looks like on a smartphone: attached phone.png

The theme image is never cropped. But is that really what you want?
AndreasHGW

Posted: 25-Apr-2019 05:41   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

OK, now I understand. But then I shoud use an image for the "motivbild" which is just for this purpose, because it should be larger in size. But how can I choose a separate picture which is not in the album itself ? I can select picture's only which are part of the album.
jGromit

Posted: 25-Apr-2019 06:09   in response to: AndreasHGW in response to: AndreasHGW

Attachment ss005486.png (806.3 KB)
AndreasHGW wrote:
But how can I choose a separate picture which is not in the album itself ? I can select picture's only which are part of the album.

Standard technique, which works for almost any skin: first, add the image you want to use for the theme image. Second, exclude it - don't delete it, just exclude it from the album by selecting its thumbnail and hitting the "minus" key on your keyboard, or click the "exclude" icon at the top. Then, drag that image to the Motivbild box. See screenshot, from the project that makes that Pluto demo album.

(BTW, you can use the same technique for using images for folder thumbnails, but not actually including them in the slideshow for the folder. Exclude, then select Use as folder thumbnail. This works in virtually every jAlbum skin.)

If you want a skin that's like Pluto, but uses a theme image that remains at a fixed height, try Neptune. When the viewport changes size, the theme image gets cropped on the sides, but the visible center of the image doesn't change. Not as fancy, but easier to control. See, for example, https://jgromit.com/neptune/standard/ or https://jgromit.com/neptune/folders/. Make your browser window narrower and wider to see what happens. Neptune has the same thumbnail options as Pluto, and uses the same lightbox script.
AndreasHGW

Posted: 25-Apr-2019 17:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
If you want a skin that's like Pluto, but uses a theme image that remains at a fixed height, try Neptune. When the viewport changes size, the theme image gets cropped on the sides, but the visible center of the image doesn't change. Not as fancy, but easier to control. See, for example, https://jgromit.com/neptune/standard/ or https://jgromit.com/neptune/folders/. Make your browser window narrower and wider to see what happens. Neptune has the same thumbnail options as Pluto, and uses the same lightbox script.

OK thanks, that sound's good. But how can I change the clipping size for the "MotivBild"?
In Neptun the size of the "MotivBild" is even smaller than in the Pluto theme.
jGromit

Posted: 25-Apr-2019 17:12   in response to: AndreasHGW in response to: AndreasHGW

AndreasHGW

Posted: 25-Apr-2019 17:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment picture3.JPG (19.3 KB)

That's the height for the picture, but not how much the picture wioll be cropped
jGromit

Posted: 25-Apr-2019 17:41   in response to: AndreasHGW in response to: AndreasHGW

If you set the width to 2000px and the height to 300px, the image used in the album will be scaled to 2000x300 pixels (assuming your original is at least that large). The cropping mask shows you exactly what the image will look like.

Once again, however, since this is a background image, the amount of cropping on the sides will depend on the width of the viewport. If you set the width to 2000px, and view the album on a monitor that is 1980px wide, there will be 10px of cropping on each side ( (2000-1980)/2 ). If you view the album on a monitor that is 1024px wide, there will be 488px of cropping on each side ( (2000-1024)/2 ). The theme image will always be exactly the height you have specified.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums