This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 20-Mar-2019 02:32 Last Post By: rfm2
rfm2

Neptune, comment on slide
Posted: 18-Mar-2019 23:38

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment Clipboard01.jpg (764.7 KB)
Is there a line of CSS that I can add under the Code tab to allow greater comment width on videos? See attached screen shot.
jGromit

Re: Neptune, comment on slide
Posted: 19-Mar-2019 00:27   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

First, and I can't resist pointing this out, I think you're seriously underestimating the savvy of your site visitors. At this point, is there really anyone left in the world who doesn't know that right and left arrows mean "next" and "previous?" They've seen those arrows on every other object in the album. Don't you think they know what they're there for by now? And the arrows are even doubled up, below the caption (needed for smartphones, because I don't show the overlaid arrows on mobiles). And even if they don't, clicking them once should provide sufficient feedback: "Oh, I see what that does!"

Now, to the formatting.... It's not CSS that's controlling it. The Floatbox script is centering the comment beneath the image (and this applies equally to images or videos - there's no difference), and it won't invade the space occupied by the "close" button, nor will it hyphenate words. You could move the caption to bottom left instead of bottom center, which allots more space to the caption, since it no longer has to be centered.

The real solution is to tell Floatbox to use a different minimum box width. It's hard-coded in the skin at 300px. I assumed that users would stick to short, pithy captions. I suppose I should know better by now. You can either hack the skin templates, or just alter the output of this one album.

To do the former, edit the skin files, open finally.bsh, and change the "300" in this line to something like "500:"
fb += ",\n\tminBoxWidth:300";
It's easy to find - just search for "300," which appears in only one place in the file.

To fix just one album, open the output directory, go to res/floatbox, and edit the fbOptions.js file. Replace the "300" on this line:
minBoxWidth:300,
In either case, be very careful about syntax - this is one of those places where a misplaced comma can render the album nonfunctional. Been there, done that. ;)
rfm2

Posted: 19-Mar-2019 23:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the detailed response. I agree that some of my "instructions" underestimate the savvy of most of my viewers, but there are a few for which underestimating would be difficult if not impossible.

The situation is rare since the need only arises with videos that need the additional explanation, and even then only when the videos are small, portrait orientation (typical of phone videos). When the viewer has been rolling along clicking anywhere on the right side to advance, doing so on a video just replays (to their surprise, and in some cases, consternation). Yes, they get the message after a couple of those replays, but the warning might help some of them avoid it.

With the Code/CSS option now I hate to hack the skin, so I will use your suggestion for just this one album. If I get a lot of these small, vertical videos from family members, I will just leave off the comment and assume that surely they have figured it by now.

Thanks again for the help.
jGromit

Posted: 20-Mar-2019 00:36   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

I'll probably put a setting for it in the next skin release - it really is just a one-liner. It's the sort of thing you don't need very often, but when you do, it would be nice to tap into it easily.

I wish there were a way to cure people of the "vertical video" curse. Is your monitor in portrait mode? Is your TV in portrait mode? Is your local movie theater screen in portrait mode? The irony, however, is that because of the various forms of misbehavior by phone browsers, it's actually easier to view albums, even ones with all landscape-mode content, with the phone held vertically. A losing battle.
rfm2

Posted: 20-Mar-2019 02:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I applied both of your specific album suggestions (move the comment to bottom left, and change min width from 300 to 400) and the number of lines for the video comments went from 8 to 3 - much better. While the centered comments and a box not excessively larger than the picture are generally more aesthetically pleasing, in the case of the small, vertical videos that have a long comment the trade-off is well worth it.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums